http://www.ibanez.com/HollowBodyGuitars/model-AFS80T
Ive been looking at this guitar for a few weeks now, and man, I think I really want one. Too bad no one seems to sell them outside of this dude on ebay and a few other websites.

Ive never played a hollow body before, but I have played an acoustic before. I cant tell you how much I hate acoustic guitars. probably partly because Ive never played a good one, but mostly because theyre far too thick to be comfy with my tyrannosaurus arms.

the afs80t is like an inch (i think) or so thinner than normal and its green, so im pretty excited about it. but without playing one before hand, its far to expensive to buy it online on a wing and a prayer. especially since Ill probably never be able to sell it.

so I guess I have 2 questions. Is there a good stand in i can try out at guitar center that will give me the same feel and sound as the afs80t?

most importantly, do hollow bodies like this one require more care than a solid body? I always hear about acoustic owners having humidifiers and dehumidifiers to keep the proper humidity so the guitar doesnt turn into a broken piece of sh**.

This is a huge concern for me because im the kind of jerk-off who stores his guitars in a pile on the floor, or leaning against windows to bake in the sun all day...
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Hey there Satanicgurrl

I own one of these guitars, so I'll try to help you if I can. As far as the thickness of the body goes, it's definitely a slimline hollow-body, so you shouldn't have any problems with that. I measure the body of mine at about 1-3/4", so it is thicker than a Strat, but if you can handle playing a Les Paul, this one should be fine too.

Aside from comparing body thickness, it really has its own feel and sound, though. I spent a lot of time testing out a wide range of hollow bodies when I was shopping, from inexpensive Epiphones all the way through super-nice Gretsches before settling on the Ibanez, and the neck on the AFS80T (at least MY AFS80T) just has a different feel than anything else I tried. I chalk that up to slightly wider string spacing combined with a different neck profile than the other makes, though I haven't taken any measurements or anything. I like wider string spacing, so that feel is a plus for me, and the neck is really quite comfortable, all the way up and down....Comfortably thick without feeling like a baseball bat.

As for sound, this one's unplugged sound is kind of in a world of its own because it's a full hollow body (so you get a bigger unplugged sound than a semi-hollow or solid body would give), but it's got the slimline body (which tends to limit low end resonance, emphasizing treble and mids). So while it has certain characteristics of other guitars, nothing I played sounded quite like it unplugged.

Amplified, it's a very versatile guitar and I've had no problems dialing in a number of different tones on it. I have to say that I am not a huge fan of the pickups (but for less than $500 for a fully-bound archtop w/Bigsby, what can you expect?). The pups do the job, but they're lacking that special something. I'll be looking at upgrading them eventually. Keep in mind that the full hollow body does make the guitar more prone to feedback in high-gain situations, though. I actually kind of dig the feedback, but it's something you should be aware of.

So yeah, definitely a nice guitar, especially for the bargain price, but it is kind of its own beast. I find it really comfortable and get a kick out of playing it, though. And let's face it....Both finishes it comes in are HOT. Totally digging having a Bigsby too.

As for humidifiers and dehumidifiers and such, they probably wouldn't be a bad plan, but I don't use them and I haven't had any problems with any of my guitars, whether acoustic or electric. I do live in SoCal and when I'm not playing, my guitars are in their cases, though. YMMV.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this guitar....They're brand new on the market and there don't seem to be many out there, so I know it can be tough to get info on them.
Last edited by cujo341 at Apr 2, 2011,
why that color?
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Oh wow! only 1-3/4 inches is definitely cool with me. But it definitely sounds like Im going to have shop around for a while, make sure its really what I want. Man though, from what you say and what Ive seen, it seems perfect. I guess its all down to how it sounds now.

thanks so much for the info!

EDIT: oh hey, how does the floating bridge hold up with the trem?? does it wobble around or does it stay solid when you do dives and stuff?

Quote by Controlpanel
why that color?

because its freaking sexy...
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Last edited by satanicgurrl at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by satanicgurrl
Oh wow! only 1-3/4 inches is definitely cool with me. But it definitely sounds like Im going to have shop around for a while, make sure its really what I want. Man though, from what you say and what Ive seen, it seems perfect. I guess its all down to how it sounds now.

thanks so much for the info!

EDIT: oh hey, how does the floating bridge hold up with the trem?? does it wobble around or does it stay solid when you do dives and stuff?

Glad to help!

As for the bridge, I haven't had a single problem with it, and I've pushed that trem arm just about as far as it can go. The bridge itself hasn't moved a millimeter, and the roller saddles seem to keep everything pretty well in tune.

Probably the biggest risk for bridge movement is going to be during restringing, not trem use, though....Just gotta be sure to only remove one string at a time instead of all of them. But that's my usual method anyway.

On a related note, my guitar came BEAUTIFULLY set up from the factory too....Amazing, low, LOW action and SPOT-ON intonation. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Quote by satanicgurrl

Quote by Controlpanel

why that color?

because its freaking sexy...

This.

Mine is also metallic green, and it's GORGEOUS. So much depth to the color. It looks even better in person than in the pictures (which is saying something!). Plus the cream binding just pops with that green metallic. It's a great look with a really cool combo of class/flash. Ibanez gets two thumbs up on the finish, as far as I'm concerned....Actually looking into refinishing my Strat in metallic green now.
there are neck dimensions in your link... ibanez lists the neck dimensions for most (if not all) its models, so I guess take a lot at the other similar ibanez guitars on the website and see if the dimensions match up. and then see if GC has any of those other guitars to try.

Regarding tone, again check the ibanez website to see what other guitars of similar construction use the same pickups, hardware, woods etc. and see if GC has any of those.

Neither of these things guarantee you'll like the one you linked to, but it's about all you can do if GC doesn't stock the exact model you want...

EDIT: just looking at the ibanez site there, the afs75t appears to be fairly similar, except for the maple/mahogany laminate neck (which i'm guessing will be a bit more rigid and make things a little brighter and tighter).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 3, 2011,