the mxl 990 or the MXL V63M.
as i am planning on buy a recording package and there are two of interest which include these mics.

These mic will most likely be recording anything from loud hardcore vocals to soft calm singing style vocal to recording a halfstack if i decided to do so.

Any helpful input will be appreciated thank you.
Last edited by aeromakesmusic at Apr 3, 2011,
im open to other mics in that price range as well or other recording packages on a 200$ budget.
For those applications, I would start out by getting a Shure SM57/58 and then save up for a condenser.

The SM will excel at hardcore vocals, micing amps and a thousand other applications, but for acoustic instruments and clean vocals I prefer condensers.
^what he said. SM57s sound great on guitar cabs too, but if you put a large diaphragm condenser in front of a guitar cab you'll kill it pretty quickly.

EDIT: which is to say, you'll lose some of the high frequency response and natural compression. Sensitive condensers dont hold up very well against high SPL.
Last edited by guy_tebache at Apr 3, 2011,
Neither as the 990 is just a shitty mic in general and the V63M is the same thing with different wiring.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I have the v63. Its tight for the cost. Def not for micing cabs tho. Did good on some vocals
Jim root tele
Blue Voodoo 4x12
so would a shure sm57/58 plus an interface be all i need just to get started?
im probably gonna spend about a hundred on each at most since i dont have a very big budget right now.
and it doesn't need phantom power right?

thanks for the input guys anymore will still be taken into consideration.
Quote by aeromakesmusic
so would a shure sm57/58 plus an interface be all i need just to get started?
im probably gonna spend about a hundred on each at most since i dont have a very big budget right now.
and it doesn't need phantom power right?

thanks for the input guys anymore will still be taken into consideration.

Sounds good. And no, the SM57/58 do not use phantom power.