I play hard rock/metal in a band using Jackson Rhoads (passive), Les Paul (passive) and Schecter Hellraiser (active) through an Engl Screamer 50 W valve combo. Would an MXR Wylde overdrive kill the natural amp tone or successfully boost the overdrive into screaming metal territory while maintaining the amp tone?
Thanks!
should be fine, but i mean you have a ton of options for overdrives.

i could be wrong, but isn't the zw od just a lightly modified boss sd1?

EDIT: assuming that's true, i'd get something more in the tubescreamer vein. the sd1 and TS are pretty similar in terms of the design, but the sd1 is a bit brighter/treblier with more edge, and in my experience engls (especially the screamer) are normally bright enough with enough edge already.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The OD would change the tone of the Screamer quite a bit - whether you'll like it that way or not is a different matter altogether. I think it is worth having on OD, if just for a little experimentation.

The Screamer has plenty of gain and definition already, so an OD isn't crucial to get a good high gain tone from it. In fact, it should be capable to cope with most high-gain music decently on it's own, though it struggles with modern metal tones a bit. I mean, it's usable, but it doesn't sound authentic for that music to my ears. It doesn't produce the low-end-thump I associate with br00tlz, and I'd say that there probably aren't many 1x12" open-back combos that do. If I wanted to get balls to the wall metal tone from a Screamer, I'd probably hook it up to a 4x12", or at least a closed-back 2x12". That might not be a practical solution, but I don't think anything else would do much.
yep, true.

that being said, I think a TS-style od helps my savage se a lot (granted through a closed-back 4x12 with v30s, lol), and, especially if you get a cheaper clone, it's a lot cheaper and more manageable than getting a new cab. I mean I used to think my engl didn't "need" an OD, and I guess that's true if you want to get really pedantic, but at the same time I think one helps.

Best thing to be would be to go to a shop to try the amp with some ods, and also with some extension cabs, just to see.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Pretty much nailed it, I'd say.

I don't think a Screamer (or most Engls, for that matter) exactly need an OD in front of them, but it changes the sound so much for comparatively little money that it's kinda silly not to own one at least. It's just one more tone in your arsenal - might just be the one you're looking for.
yep definitely.

Especially if you play a lot at lower volume (like i do), the OD opens the sound up a lot more, it has a similar effect to being able to push the master volume up a little more.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeas it should be perfect. that OD is very mild so it adds that little boost u need
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED