I can't choose which practice amp to get (to replace my Marshall MG15)

I need something that is able to really handle the high gain shit

but at the same i need something versatile that can play things like classic rock, blues, etc.

The thing that turns me off about the Vypyr is that the 15 watt version is lacking some of the features that the 30 watt has..and I think 30 watts is way too loud for a dorm room situation.. plus I think the 30 Vypyr is quite big..

I love the features of the Vox, but I dont know if the sound is anything to brag about (for high gain stuff)

I love the versatility of the Mustang, especially with the FUSE software.. but once again, I don't know about how it handles high gain music..

and finally the Cube.... I keep coming back to the cube 20xl...

no clue what amp i should go with
-Gibson SG special - faded brown
-ESP LTD MH400NT w/ EMG 81 - 85
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
i have a mustang and it does high gain ok, if you have patience to get the sound you want
by the way high gain is metallica\iron maiden high gain or extreme metal high gain?
Quote by philipk
i have a mustang and it does high gain ok, if you have patience to get the sound you want
by the way high gain is metallica\iron maiden high gain or extreme metal high gain?

high gain like: Metallica, Trivium, Megadeth, Pantera, All that remains Protest the Hero.. thats probably about as far as I go into high gain music.
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
I have a Vox VT, and they will get you nowhere near the high-gain tones you want.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Seref
Rob Chappers (aka the Monkey Lord) did a very good shootout between these 4 very amps (plus an extra) a while back. Although he did the 40 watt versions (and similar), there won't honestly be that much of a difference.

It's in 3 parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erKaCn2wgLw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXSmBXylWQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q19yyP7hTMY

I've actually seen that like twice - still can't decide lol. They didn't seem to like the high gain sounds on any of the amps really, but I believe the Cube ended up with the best High gain sound.
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
That's a common flaw in practice modellers. They can get by on cleans, but crunch and high gain tones they just start to fizz up, the bottom end flubs out, the tone gets thinner, etc etc.

Personally for high gain tones I'd go Cube. I used to have a Vypyr that I liked well enough, but I'm not sure how it compares to current generation stuff.
Yeah I'm definitely more impressed with the high gain tones from the Cube. It's a tough decision.. but then again all of these blow away my marshall mg15cdr hahah
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Quote by Reisgar42
I have a Vox VT, and they will get you nowhere near the high-gain tones you want.

Then explain to me how this can be, because I can get satisfactory gain out of the VT15.. Maybe not as well as an all-metal amp+cab-set, but hey what do you want from a practice amp?
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
Quote by TuningGamer
Then explain to me how this can be, because I can get satisfactory gain out of the VT15.. Maybe not as well as an all-metal amp+cab-set, but hey what do you want from a practice amp?

Part of it just might be that I don't play enough high-gain to spend too long on it. I don't really have much of a reason to delve into it so maybe that's just why, although a very metalhead friend of mine took it for a spin and didn't like it at all.

It's very possible that between the two of us, we're not really sure what we're doing, but still, I'd think that if he doesn't have much of a use for cleans, the VTs aren't what TS is looking for.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
One thing that I LOVE about the Cube is the acoustic simulator - that to me is really hitting it out of the park. It sounds lovely.
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
I play metal on my Vox VT 100 and it sounds great. Try the US 90's model out. Or if you want a thinner metal sound try the UK modern. The US 90's is much better for a lead tone and the UK modern for a scooped rhythm sound.

PS (don't be afraid to crank those mids... i have mine on 10)
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
vypyr for high gain, the 6505 and recto models are very good, the marshall models are usable but not as high quality as the high gain ones. The cleans are fine. Jsx is pretty good for lead tone. Check out Matthias Arp's youtube channel for some great demos (mattrocks01).

The mustang excels at cleans and crunch type tones, like old fenders and marshalls, the high gain modes weren't very good imo.

I think the cube is kind of middle of the road. All the channels pretty much are usable, but i think the vypyr does high gain better and the mustang does crunch better.

No exp with the vox. Edit : also ive only played the 30w or higher versions of these things.
Guitars
Amps
Last edited by Matt15f at Apr 2, 2011,
The vox vt + destroys all of them imo. I haven't played the regular vt, but when I played the + the high gain tones were very organic. I also like how you can different guitars character on the vt, something the vypyr lacks to me. I have the vypyr, and while it is awesome, if I could is go back and get the vt+
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
The vox vt + destroys all of them imo. I haven't played the regular vt, but when I played the + the high gain tones were very organic. I also like how you can different guitars character on the vt, something the vypyr lacks to me. I have the vypyr, and while it is awesome, if I could is go back and get the vt+

you really think the vox vt+ knocks them all out of the water? Thats a pretty strong statement, but i am willing to go back and look at that amp if it is legit.

I had an early vox modeler and it was ok unless you wanted high gain. Heres to hoping you prove me wrong with the latest gen vox modelers.
Guitars
Amps
I didn't have long with it, but I had a few minutes to dial it in and it sounded great. My metal tone may not be yours, but I can say the little bit of time I've spent with the olser vts was not nearly as pleasent as the +. The vypyr does have more distortion, but its not as clear or real sounding, and the plus still had plenty for my style, which is tech.death
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.