What is the deal with these things? What do you think of them?

I've been seriously really curious about these being a Sunn O))), Earth, Sleep fan, etc.
They have really amazed me and tripped me out... I love the weirdly unique growl and bite that come out of these monsters. I can hardly find them anywhere, but they are trippy and I am looking into them.

Not looking to buy anything any time soon, I was just curious about these since I know hardly anything about them aside from how they sound and that they are owned by Fender or something.
Most Sunn amps were really clean with a very straight, thick sound. They're great, I would love to get me a Spectrum or a 2000s, but I'm in love with one of Sunn's direct competitors from that era, Acoustic Control Corp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Most Sunn amps were really clean with a very straight, thick sound. They're great, I would love to get me a Spectrum or a 2000s, but I'm in love with one of Sunn's direct competitors from that era, Acoustic Control Corp.
I'm really amazed at their sound. Something about it just trips me out big time. I think it's cool that you can get the Model T to Drone sounding proportions but then switch to these sexy bright fendery cleans/thick dark cleans. It's really sick.
The Model T, while cool, is a very overrated amp. Sunn has so many other cool amps that it's not worth fixating on the Model T.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Sunns are great, though I can't stand the band
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah, Sunn amps are rad. Agreed with the Model T statement made by Dr. Pain-MD.

Mclaw, why you have Christmas avatar still? hah
I always thought the name and symbol were unforgivably stupid, so I've never played one.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
The Model T, while cool, is a very overrated amp. Sunn has so many other cool amps that it's not worth fixating on the Model T.
Yeah I'm not, just I've only heard like two of them at the moment, that was the best one I heard so far.

Quote by MatrixClaw

Well I can see how they aren't for everyone . Drone is a pretty out there genre, and Sunn O))) is no exception.
Sunn amps must have had something going for them, because certainly kept some respectable company back in the day:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
That is pretty cool that it has such a reputation.

I'll have to look into these amps when I decide I want something new.
Oh and by the way, does anyone know any good amps (more Metal oriented) wise to check out from Sunn?
check out the concert lead or the beta lead. both are solid state, but supposedly sound amazing
ill update you on sound when i get my concert lead wiring issues sorted out.

both usually go for around 3-400 on ebay
Quote by SGRocker400
check out the concert lead or the beta lead. both are solid state, but supposedly sound amazing
ill update you on sound when i get my concert lead wiring issues sorted out.

both usually go for around 3-400 on ebay
That's pretty sweet. I'm really jazzed about checking these out.
I used to have a Concert Lead, awesome amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
definitely check out the beta lead, king buzzo from the melvins uses them as a preamp, and gets amazing metal tone
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Quote by distortion896
definitely check out the beta lead, king buzzo from the melvins uses them as a preamp, and gets amazing metal tone
Nice, I'll check that and the Concert Lead out or something if I can find them.
Quote by SGRocker400
wiring issues are all fixed, getting a footswitch tomorrow so i can use the distortion. i friggin love this thing
Sexy,
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Well I can see how they aren't for everyone . Drone is a pretty out there genre, and Sunn O))) is no exception.

That style of crunch works for a lot of genres, it's just not the more "modern" sound that's in vogue right now. Pelican and Russian Circles use Model Ts iirc. The cleans aren't half bad either. I'd love to have one but they're a bit out of my price range

@ DrPain: What other Sunn amps would you recommend? I'm not really familiar with them, but the Model T's range of tones appeals to me.

EDIT: Any opinions on the reissue?
Last edited by Nightfyre at Apr 9, 2011,
Being old enough to remember the 1970s, I always liked the Sunn Coliseum Lead and its brother, the Coliseum Bass. Yes, they were solid state, but they were f%cking monsters back in the day!

Too bad you don't see them for sale used very often.
Quote by Nightfyre
That style of crunch works for a lot of genres, it's just not the more "modern" sound that's in vogue right now. Pelican and Russian Circles use Model Ts iirc. The cleans aren't half bad either. I'd love to have one but they're a bit out of my price range

@ DrPain: What other Sunn amps would you recommend? I'm not really familiar with them, but the Model T's range of tones appeals to me.

EDIT: Any opinions on the reissue?
It doesn't really work for a whole lot of genres.

Mainly Stoner Rock/Metal, Blues, Drone, and the good cleans
Quote by Nightfyre
Any opinions on the reissue?

I had one.

Never having played the original Model T before though, I can't really give you any comparisons... but it has a gorgeous clean channel and the gain channel literally has more gain than ANY amp I've ever played. It easily covers from blues to modern metal, without a problem. That lead channel is one of the most brutal tones I've ever heard come out of an amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I had one.

Never having played the original Model T before though, I can't really give you any comparisons... but it has a gorgeous clean channel and the gain channel literally has more gain than ANY amp I've ever played. It easily covers from blues to modern metal, without a problem. That lead channel is one of the most brutal tones I've ever heard come out of an amp.
Really? Intriguing.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
It doesn't really work for a whole lot of genres.

Mainly Stoner Rock/Metal, Blues, Drone, and the good cleans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-hJtJrXxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZ4z662v5w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi-Lo4cHjJ0

If it can cover stoner, blues, drone, and Russian Circles-style post rock along with good cleans, I'd say there's a decent bit of variety in there Less "tight" than many modern sounds perhaps but I'm a fan of raw, throaty low-end tones. Perhaps a better way to put it would be that it works for the tones I'd use in many genres

Quote by MatrixClaw
I had one.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Might look into picking up a reissue then
Quote by Nightfyre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-hJtJrXxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZ4z662v5w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi-Lo4cHjJ0

If it can cover stoner, blues, drone, and Russian Circles-style post rock along with good cleans, I'd say there's a decent bit of variety in there Less "tight" than many modern sounds perhaps but I'm a fan of raw, throaty low-end tones. Perhaps a better way to put it would be that it works for the tones I'd use in many genres

Awesome, thanks for the info! Might look into picking up a reissue then
Well aside from the Post Rock, those genres all sound similar. But I see what you're saying
Would the old Coliseum (bass?) series work well with guitar? There are 2 at the GC over here for about $400 a piece...
^If they are in good shape; yes. Any loss of high-end could be countered with a Graphic EQ pedal. Try before you buy, though. The Coliseum series were solid-state, and we are talking 1970s solid-state technology. The tone might not be to your liking for guitar.
True, true... I'm not really in the market for another amp now anyway. Just figured they could be awesome since I've heard so many great things about the Beta Leads...

Thanks!
Quote by FatalGear41
The Coliseum series were solid-state, and we are talking 1970s solid-state technology.

The best kind.
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1.

Every time I've heard clips of Sunns they've been awesome. Sunn O))) sounds like you're standing next to a refrigerator.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i took my concert lead to a local music place, hooked up a footswitch, and damn, the distortion on it is killllerr. quite a bit of feedback at higher gain levels tho, but i think that might be fixable. (the guys noise suppressor didnt do much for it)

and of course i take it home and it wont work with the footswitch i borrowed -____-

any other sunn owners have excessive feedback issues?

+1 for the refrigerator comment XD