Apologies if a thread like this has already been made

So this usually happens when I play live, when I can really feel the music surging through me. I get tensed up, grip the neck excessively tight, attack the strings really hard, which limits my speed and clean playing by several notches
And when I try relaxing, I feel like it really inhibits my ability to fully feel the music and express myself

Anyone out there dealing with the same thing or found a compromise?
REAL MEN HAVE NO SIGS
I reckon the problem is that you haven't practiced so much that playing at your best feels natural. Really what you should be aiming for in terms of your best playing is that it should feel completely natural and like another motion, like walking or sitting down; you don't think about doing these things, you just do them. That's how playing guitar should feel whatever you're playing.

If you have to consciously focus on relaxing then you're probably not relaxing that much anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Instead of jizzing with your whole body when you play music, jizz with your face!
Like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U

Jokes aside, practice to calm down. You're in Control. You have the Power. The guitar's your bitch. She's gonna take a beating, but you gotta be able to caress her too, make her feel loved... Think of your guitar as your loved one. You love her more than anything, care for her. Give her her own personality. Make her Scream! Now this might be only me, but good guitar playing is better than sex for me. I get caught in with the rythm, and I don't think all too much about it all. I just play, I have a good time. You should too.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Last edited by Kalo Hanaka at Apr 2, 2011,
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
Instead of jizzing with your whole body when you play music, jizz with your face!
Like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U

i knew that was a steve vai reference before clicking the link.

also yea whenever im really into what im playing i get this feeling that i describe as a full body musical orgasm... literally brought myself to tears once...
just play!

seriously man, when you start thinking too much about it you'll start to panic and play worse, if you just play then it'll be so much better and so much more enjoyable
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
Quote by rickyj
also yea whenever im really into what im playing i get this feeling that i describe as a full body musical orgasm... literally brought myself to tears once...

Mighty feeling, bro!

On Topic: Im my mind, just... Play the music you love, and your body will follow suite. Just remember to not tense up. Practice up your relaxing.

And the most important stuff of all time, a Global advice...

Have FUN while you're playing!!!

Ever think it's becoming a chore? Stop. Watch a movie, play with the computer, read a book, just stop with the guitar for a while, until you're inspired to pick it up again.
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?