I'm new at guitar and feel pretty comfortable on down strokes. However on up strokes I feel like the pick gets caught up in the strings. Any tips or advice on how to practice up strokes. Do you keep the pick even like on down strokes etc. Also when holding the pick, do you hold it in the middle or closer to the tip.
Close to the tip, and hold the pick as loosely as you can. Like barely hold on to it. It will flap around a bunch but get used to it. It will make your picking way smoother.
Quote by kid meatball
Close to the tip, and hold the pick as loosely as you can. Like barely hold on to it. It will flap around a bunch but get used to it. It will make your picking way smoother.

I disagree. Hold the pick firmly but barely allow the tip to touch the string. If you hold the pick loosely you run the risk of dropping it at high speeds. Its happened to me while gigging. Not fun.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
I disagree. Hold the pick firmly but barely allow the tip to touch the string. If you hold the pick loosely you run the risk of dropping it at high speeds. Its happened to me while gigging. Not fun.

That advice comes right from my instructor with about 20yrs teaching and playing experience, and it works great for me. Besides, TS is a beginner, he's not going to be throwing down high speed riffs live next week.
Just to add my 2 cents
I had a terrible upstroke, I failed miserable to keep in time. It was even worse when changing strings.I finally realized it was my right hand, not how I hold my pick. I mean if your right hand ain't ready, it simply will not work.
So I found these exercise and I made myself believe that I have no left hand and only did the following right hand exercise for few weeks. It worked like a charm, my speed was getting better, and upstroke was comfortable.
Hope this will be help.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2716417-Visual-Guitar-Lessons-1%BA-Exercises-for-the-Right-Hand-25-Exercises