Im in the market for a new guitar. Im really into metal. The brands i've been specifically shopping around for are schecter and ibanez (they're really the only 2 i can try where i live). I really like the sounds dan donegan and synyster gates get and i play alot of disturbed and avenged sevenfold.My price range is up to about $700 ( ill go 800 if needed but absolutely no higher). for more specifics, i'd really like to have 24 frets but its not completly necesary. Also i dont care about floyd or not. lightweight would be good too.
Always Rock!
I love my schecter hellraiser c-1. kind of wishing I went with the floyd rose but maybe not since it sounds like a pain in the ass to deal with. o well maybe on my next guitar. Are you asking for tips on different brands than those you listed or what model of schecter/ibanez to look at? you never really asked any question
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
oh my bad. Any suggestions really. I actually should stress weight. I'd really like a light guitar. Im not that big and i like to move around alot.
Always Rock!
Well, try the low budget Ibanez Xiphos, the look's killer and the they sound ok, a friend of mine has an RG, which has the same pickups as these Xiphos and it sounds deccent. Also try some Jacksons or Deans

There's

NEVER

enough

GAIN

hm ok, well I think the hellraiser is relatively heavy. I'm no expert but I think that ibanez makes some lighter guitars (esp compared to shecter) so you might lean towards those.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
yea I'd recommend you try out Jacksons as well. my friend has i think a dk2 and its pretty nice, around $750. The body is small-ish, I don't recall noticing its weight cuz I was sitting when I tried it, but I'd imagine it would be light from the small body
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

the xiphos is a pretty sexy guitar
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
I have 2 jackson dinkys
a dk2 pro which is nice HSS configuration
and a dkmg with emg 81/85. i like the dkmg more.
both are made of alder but the dkmg is noticeably lighter than the dk2 pro.

jackson necks are oh so fantastic too.

edit: for metal id definitely check out the dkmg.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMG-Dinky-Electric-Guitar-with-EMGs?sku=520313
Last edited by voleurz at Apr 2, 2011,
How about a Fender Strat?? They have wide frets for easy shredding.

ron666
Quote by ironman45
yea I'd recommend you try out Jacksons as well. my friend has i think a dk2 and its pretty nice, around $750. The body is small-ish, I don't recall noticing its weight cuz I was sitting when I tried it, but I'd imagine it would be light from the small body

Small=/=Light.
My les paul is small, but wieghs +10 pounds

Ibanez makes some really light guitars, esp their RG models...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by s12k17
oh my bad. Any suggestions really. I actually should stress weight. I'd really like a light guitar. Im not that big and i like to move around alot.

I understand wanting a light weight guitar. I stand 5'4" and have small hands too

IMHO A smaller body is more important than weight when you're moving around a lot.
The lighter weight isn't worth the sustain you lose most of the time.

I'd recommend a Jackson DK2T but you said you want Ibanez or Schecter.

A little bit wider strap makes using something a little heavier with better sustain a option. The hardtail version of Schecter hellraiser is a good choice on those grounds.

I don't like Ibanez wizard necks that's pretty much personal choice. Use what feels good to you.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
If you want light, Ibanez S series are among the lightest. Bear in mind that S series usually have 22 frets (I own an S570b that has 24, but it's an exception).
Got a Xiphos. Great guitar for practice and recording, but I haven't found a way to mount the strap so it doesn't dive.

Got a couple of Strats too, and don't recommend for shred unless you scallop the neck. Also, there's a lot of stuff you can't do completely withouth those last 2 frets. ***flame shield up, unless Ron666 was just kidding***

The Xiphos and a lot of Schecters are made of mahogany, so they're pretty heavy for their size. Most RGs are made of basswood and are lighter (got one of those, too, and have enjoyed using it on stage). 24 fret Ibanez S series may not be the standard, but they are common enough that every one I've seen for sale had 24 frets and a floyd rose copy. The S series is one of those love/hate designs, though, so check it out well before you buy one of those to see which side you fall on.

Since you already have a stop tail, I say go for a Floyd this time. And if you do, learn how to maintain it. Like don't try to adjust the action with the strings taut or you'll dull the knife edge. And don't be afraid of the Edge III--IMHO they're on Ibanez's more economical mid-level guitars so a lot of people trash them before they learn how to take care of it. They usually figure it out before going to something expensive enough to have an OFR, or more often they give up, but form their opinions of the OFR from those who didn't give up. ***Flame shields up***

Happy hunting!
The MH-1000 NT and H-1001 guitars from ESP LTD are very capable of metal, string-through fixed bridge, and are pretty light. Both are just over budget, at $730 and $750 respectively.

You could also check out the Ibanez S series, either the S570DXQM if you wanted to stay within budget, or S770PB if you did stretch your budget up to $800. Both are H/S/H configuration, 24 frets and very light. The MH-1000 FR would be in the same ballpark as that S770 too. These three are all really decent for metal, and trem equipped. Great guitars for the intermediate/semi-pro player.

Check out Jackson as well, I know they make good guitars in that range I'm just not educated on them much.
Quote by Pat_s1t
The MH-1000 NT and H-1001 guitars from ESP LTD are very capable of metal, string-through fixed bridge, and are pretty light. Both are just over budget, at $730 and $750 respectively.

You could also check out the Ibanez S series, either the S570DXQM if you wanted to stay within budget, or S770PB if you did stretch your budget up to $800. Both are H/S/H configuration, 24 frets and very light. The MH-1000 FR would be in the same ballpark as that S770 too. These three are all really decent for metal, and trem equipped. Great guitars for the intermediate/semi-pro player.

Check out Jackson as well, I know they make good guitars in that range I'm just not educated on them much.

Or he could get a used 90's MIJ Ibanez S540 for $500-$700
wow thanks for all your help guys some really great suggestions.
Always Rock!
Quote by dr83
If you want light, Ibanez S series are among the lightest. Bear in mind that S series usually have 22 frets (I own an S570b that has 24, but it's an exception).

The recent S series all have 24s now.

TS: You are choosing from two brands with fairly different necks, being Ibbys with paper thin necks and Schecters with baseball bat necks. Go play both, choose which neck you prefer, then choose a model within that brand that fits you.

I personally prefer Ibbys.

For the guys that suggested the Xiphos, it really isnt a "light" guitar. -.-
Quote by Syriel
The recent S series all have 24s now.

For the guys that suggested the Xiphos, it really isnt a "light" guitar. -.-

Right. It's not small either. The case won't even fit in the trunk of my Mustang.
LTD MH-350NT. Emgs, thin neck, very light. GREAT for metal. Check that out.
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
I love my Ibanez S670. I'd reccommend you look at either one of those or a 2011 RG.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.