So, I have several sets of veneers that I acquired with the purchase of body blanks, and since my gf is getting a tele kit, and she loves flame maple with a passion, and these veneers just so happen to be flame maple, I would like to add these to the kit.

Now, how the hell do I do that?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Not 100% sure what you're asking here, but here goes.

Just glue the veneer onto the top of the body blank and possibly headstock too, and clamp.
I'd use polyurethane glue for this personally.
You can use a router with some sort of bearing bit for routing the pickup cavities etc, you'll probebly want to drill a large enough hole into them first to ft the router bit into though.

Hope this answers your question?

Edit: Also, she'd need to level out the front of the body (getting rid of rounded edges) before gluing on the veneer.
Depending on the thickness of the veneer this might not be feasible, as it may make the body too thin for the pickups to sit in.
Calculate first!
Last edited by whoomit at Apr 2, 2011,
Yes, thats what I was asking

I wanted to know how to put the veneer on the body. So I could just use a polyurethane glue and clamp it on?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Yeah that's exactly what I would do, read my edit though.
If the body comes with rounded edges you'll need to take that into consideration.

Another edit: you'll probably want something between the veneer and clamps of course, like a sheet of MDF or something to even out the pressure, and avoid leaving marks on that lovely flame maple!!
Last edited by whoomit at Apr 2, 2011,
Gotcha, I'm pretty sure its just a flat top tele kit she got, so I'll be able to find out when we get it in. If its not deep enough, I can get innovative

Thanks

EDIT:

Would something along the lines of cardboard work?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

You want to use something like MDF or wooden boards when you clamp it to even out the pressure. For the cavities, I used a small Exacto craft knife, it may take a while but it's important to take your time with veneers.
Haha good good

I wouldn't recommend cardboard, don't think it would be quite substantial enough!
Plywood, MDF, even any scrap wood lying around really would be better!
But something that covers the whole body and can take the pressure of the clams is ideal.
MDF is usually nice and cheap and easily found anyway, so if you don't have any spare it'd probably be worth the $10 (that's a guess, I'm not from America!) or so :P

Good luck with the kit
Quote by guitaristren
You want to use something like MDF or wooden boards when you clamp it to even out the pressure. For the cavities, I used a small Exacto craft knife, it may take a while but it's important to take your time with veneers.

The knife's a good idea.
When I mentioned the router, I was working on the idea that we were talking about a slightly thicker veneer. You'll be able to judge yourself if a knife will work or not I'm sure.
http://projectguitar.com/tut/veneer.htm

^ Personally I would put a thick MDF caul between the body and the bag of gravel, but the tutorial gives you the basic idea.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Apr 3, 2011,
I use an iron on veneer glue that requires no clamping or setup time. Search this site for a thread about veneer tops for further details.