Hello everyone, this is my first post here! I'm a complete guitar n00b, I've barely begun to play. In fact, I know so little, that I've decided to come here for advice and some general direction as far as my first guitar is concerned.

I'm a semi-pro drummer, and I've worked with Spanish guitar player Achokarlos Garcia on a couple of songs. I really dig the kind of guitar tone he has, and I want to be able to get something similar. I want to be able to get that nasty, palm muted chugging sound, something like Meshuggah. To me, that is just a really cool sound, and I want to be able to record my own guitar parts with it for my songs.

Anyways, from what I understand, to get that sound you need a 7 or 8 string guitar. So I guess my question is, what is a really solid 7 or 8 string guitar that I can get on a budget? Also, what kind of amp would work well for this kind of music? I've heard good things about the line 6 pod amp emulators, are those a good option?

Basically, anything that anyone can throw out there will help! I haven't had a chance to search around here much, and I'm sure that all the information I need is already here, but I don't even really know where to begin or what to search for!

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to being part of the community here!

- Luke
Check out and !
Well, it's gonna take time to really get a good tone from your fingers.

I would suggest Agile 7 and 8 string guitars from rondomusic.com they are the best bang for the buck in that price range.

As for amps, it depends. Alot of those bands use multi thousand dollar rigs. The POD series do work well, but getting a really great tone from them takes a good amount of work.

Unfortunately, what you are after is something just about everyone here is trying to get not an easy thing by any means.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
the schecter omen 7 is a good entry level 7 string. it was my first 7. you can find them pretty cheap used, and if i were you i'd definitely go used. i think the schecter omen 7 or the ibanez rg7321 are your best bets
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
for one thing, if you're into that low chunky sound, you could try putting some heavy gauge strings on your guitar and downtuning it. if you're already doing that, then yes maybe you could benefit from a 7 string for composing and stuff.

the RG7321 is a good place to start in my opinion, as its pretty easy to play and i never struggled in getting adjusted to the extra string. line 6 pods are also a good cheap solution if you just want to be able to get a good tone with headphones or speakers, they work well for that style
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
for one thing, if you're into that low chunky sound, you could try putting some heavy gauge strings on your guitar and downtuning it. if you're already doing that, then yes maybe you could benefit from a 7 string for composing and stuff.

the RG7321 is a good place to start in my opinion, as its pretty easy to play and i never struggled in getting adjusted to the extra string. line 6 pods are also a good cheap solution if you just want to be able to get a good tone with headphones or speakers, they work well for that style

grab a 7321, but really try and look for an old japanese one. I got stupidly lucky and got one from the fujigen factory (early '00). The neck will feel like a pancake compared to the newer ones
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Well, you can get the sound of a 7 string on a 6, just tuned down really low, some people prefer that, Dean does make a SUPER cheap 7 string, I wouldn't say it's amazing, but its a really cheap guitar, (it feels pretty nice though), So maybe try that, and replace the pickups, hardware, etc. The 7/8's on rondo are amazing, and very highly looked upon, however, they ARE quite expensive for someone who hasnt been playing a while.

Hope this helps
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
A really good Ibanez 7 is the 7620 or 7621, they're discontinued but were Made in Japan and can be had very cheap.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Thank you all so much! This is incredibly helpful, I now have a fairly good idea what I'm looking for. I found a RG7321 with a killswitch installed for $250 on my local craigslist, I may wind up going with that!

I'm also starting to lean towards the line 6 pod more and more. Mainly, I'm going to be using this rig to record, I won't be performing anytime soon. So if the pod will work for those needs, then I think I'm sold! Don't they pretty much function as small interfaces as well, to connect to a DAW?
Check out and !
Quote by Max Canonaco
I saw meshuggah use Shecter 8/7 strings. These guitars are quite affordable.

Meshuggah use Ibanez 7/8 strings. Their 8s are custom.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by lukesnyder
Thank you all so much! This is incredibly helpful, I now have a fairly good idea what I'm looking for. I found a RG7321 with a killswitch installed for $250 on my local craigslist, I may wind up going with that!

I'm also starting to lean towards the line 6 pod more and more. Mainly, I'm going to be using this rig to record, I won't be performing anytime soon. So if the pod will work for those needs, then I think I'm sold! Don't they pretty much function as small interfaces as well, to connect to a DAW?

only those that are usb-capable, such as the xt, work for that function. if you get a more old school pod such as the original or the 2.0, you'd need a separate audio interface
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
only those that are usb-capable, such as the xt, work for that function. if you get a more old school pod such as the original or the 2.0, you'd need a separate audio interface

Ok, gotcha. Isn't there one that has S/PDIF? Is that the XT?
Check out and !
Wow! I just saw the price on a new Schecter Omen 8 string, they start at like $400, thats pretty reasonable.
Check out and !
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Mmmmm. This right here is sex.
http://www.rondomusic.com/septorelite827ebdnctpurple.html

I'm probably going to custom order a Natural Satin Septor next year, but I'm not sure if I'll get another 727 and sell my current Septor, or just go balls out on an 828. Guess it depends on the money position I'm in this Christmas.

Also, pics dammit!
Quote by Pat_s1t

I'm probably going to custom order a Natural Satin Septor next year, but I'm not sure if I'll get another 727 and sell my current Septor, or just go balls out on an 828. Guess it depends on the money position I'm in this Christmas.

Also, pics dammit!

I love that tribal purple finish! What a gorgeous guitar... man, I'm already getting gear envy, haha.
Check out and !
Quote by Pat_s1t

Also, pics dammit!

I have to resist buying another everytime I go there. I'm prolly gonna get an 5 string base from them soon. I'm GAS'ing BAD!!!

Rofl, pics will be up shortly
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by lukesnyder
Ok, gotcha. Isn't there one that has S/PDIF? Is that the XT?

only the pro/rack version does
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
For what you want - the RG will fit the bill, but your best bet is a Rondomusic Agile 8 string. Very cheap for what it is.

For an amp, the POD is great for what you want. Not to mention it won't suffer as much from what many amps do with such low tunings. I'm always jealous of drummers-turned-guitarists. They have an uncanny ability to come up with intense rythmic riffs.