Is it wrong to be indifferent or not imformed on politics/international affairs

Poll: Vote
Poll Options
View poll results: Vote
Yes it's wrong, everyone should learn about politics and current events/international affairs
15 9%
I wouldn't say wrong, but I encourage others to be informed on those sorts of things
80 49%
No, if they aren't interested in those subjects and don't care, so be it
64 39%
Other
2 1%
I'm not sure
2 1%
Voters: 163.
Page 1 of 2
Some people just don't care about politics or what's going on in the world (example). They just live their lives and keep to themselves. Or they're simply just more interested in other things.

A lot of people don't vote simply because they're just indifferent to that stuff, and they have little opinions about things like shit going down in the middle east, yada yada.

Would you say that it is wrong for people not to be informed about those sort of things? Or they should feel a sense of responsibility to learn more about those subjects, go out and vote, etc.? Or is it fine if they don't want to learn about politics and international current events and want to do other things?

Would you also classify yourself as someone very interested and involved in politics and current events? Not at all? In between?
Last edited by The Madcap at Apr 3, 2011,
Don't really care.

Although I did know a bint once that kept going on about how she didn't have time to vote or learn local politics, yet had no trouble bitching about how our public system was so shitty. I admit that kind of shit does make me want to break stuff.
I don't vote sometimes and it's not because I'm not informed or don't care (although sometimes I couldn't care less). The reason I occasionally don't vote is because the candidates in the election are rediculous and all of them have problems. Examples - last Canadian election, the American election a few years back when Bush was running against someone equally rediculous (I'm not American anyway). Sometimes I just don't think any candidate deserves a vote and there's nothing anyone can do about it because of the huge barriers to entry in the political system. Grrr
I don't exactly follow politics too closely, but if you're going to take a side, know why.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I don't know about "wrong", I just think those kind of people should be sent to their own island with no food.
Elite pluralism theory - it's okay for common people to be uninformed because they rely on gov't/elites to run the country.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
Don't really care, as long as they take care of the bloody rising petrol prices and fix the shitty roads, I'm happy.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Only vote if you are informed.
Quote by Union Jake

So anyway, now i'm here feeling rather dirty knowing that I just sat in a room with 3 other guys having a wank. I had to get it off my chest
Quote by fenderfreak101
Youre mom should have used the coat hanger to abort you as a fetus.

Douche bag.
I have no interest in politics. I refuse to vote. It doesn't matter to me. Meh.

Edit:
Quote by Grimriffer
I just don't care.
You said it better.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Apr 2, 2011,
I just don't care.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Not wrong at all, its obviously good to be aware of what is going on around you though. Its hard to find reliable news sources anyway. The vast majority of my political knowledge comes from the daily show.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
thing is with the media today everything is biased so it's either forced down your throat and can't come up with one's own opinion. ie the situation on Egypt sure the man was ruling in tyranny BUT did we ever hear the other side of the story? no we just heard protesters good Egypt gov't bad! also with Wars when I hear the good guys win who exactly are the good guys? aren't they both killing for means in which to gain more power? I see no good coming from that /rant anyways I think it's good to know about international affairs/ politics but you need to form your own valid opinions, hear out both sides, and not be a complete prick when someone else has an opposing view point.
It's not wrong. But if they start talking politics at all, they should shut their uninformed mouths.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I usually find that people who don't care about politics are deeply invested in their own studies or careers. They say they don't have time to keep up all the time while in pursuit of med school or graduate studies, which I can understand. So I don't think it's wrong if they choose not to participate in politics.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Wrong isn't quite the right word, but it takes a special kind of person to not care about thatk ind of stuff (to put it diplomatically).
I'm completely oblivious to the whole politics/world thing. I honestly just don't care, despite whether it may affect me or not

And no, i probably won't ever vote or do that kind of stuff. There's no need to if i don't care about it.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by rockingamer2
It's not wrong. But if they start talking politics at all, they should shut their uninformed mouths.
I'd say this post most accurately displays my opinion.
In my opinion, it's not wrong until the moment you decide to vote. If you plan to vote, then you should know what's going on.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
I know about things that interest or intrigue me, as I go out of my way to read up on it. I'm far from well informed about a lot of things, so I just simply won't join discussions about it. I get the feeling with a lot of people, a lot of people right here in the Pit, that as soon as a thread opens that has a vaguely intellectual looking, political basis they will beeline straight for google to skim read whatever article will allow them to discuss and look clever among the people who actually know what they're talking about. Kinda annoys me a bit.
I voted for:

"No, if they aren't interested in those subjects and don't care, so be it"

I'm not interested in politics at all. Moreso in current events, but mostly ones that are directly relevant to me.
My God, it's full of stars!
i only have a certain level of care. i cant honestly care about everything at all times.
Wrong as in immoral, no.

I do think that people have a civic responsibility to be involved in the workings of their government and that it's the indecisive people that allow wrongs to continue, or stop wrongs from starting. If more people voted in all elections, than less crookedness in office would happen and that the nation would be a stronger one.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

The more I try to keep myself up-to-date and informed with politics, the more angry and frustrated I get. So I try to keep myself ignorant and lead a life blissfully unaware of surrounding events. At the end of the day, I would rather pay slightly higher taxes and keep my wits.

What I DO have a major problem with is people who vote with no understanding of either side- purely voting for the label of liberal/conservative. Or democrat/republican. If you ask me, there should be a short quiz stapled to the ballots, so as to make sure people educate themselves before choosing.
No it isn't wrong because if I wanted to listen to people bitch I'd watch MTV.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Last edited by Zombee at Apr 3, 2011,
Second option. Although I hate people who bitch when they don't even try to vote, and I hate people who don't inform themselves when they vote.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Why would it be wrong?

People can and will be ignorant, that's really no concern of mine unless it directly conflicts with something I'm doing.
Nope, not wrong at all. I'm sure a lot of people less fortunate than myself who maybe have to work two jobs to support themselves and their families have higher priorities than studying politics.
I don't think it's wrong. I'd say that it's important to know what the hell is going on. But it's not wrong not to. In fact, the people who don't know much about that stuff probably would have a higher possibility to be happy. They don't worry about things beyond their control, like international affairs; whereas the people that do are fighting a winless battle on a large.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I don't think it's wrong. I try to keep up with that stuff but I'm not too politically savvy, however I know when something is just a bad idea. Example, I refuse to vote until there are some decent candidates. This past presidential election was just so stupid, media driven, and the candidates seemed like just a fad. Obama getting tons of hype because he's black without anyone caring about the actual ideas he had, nobody caring about McCain until he got that dumb nut bimbo Palin.

Now everyone complains about how "Obama sucks." Not his fault.
Last edited by space aids at Apr 3, 2011,
I kinda think that intelligent people have a responsibility to be informed and make decisions, but I believe that everyone should be able to make their own decision about that type of thing.

Mind you, we have compulsory voting in this country and politics dont seem to fare any worse than in the US or other countries with non-compulsory voting.
It's certainly not wrong to not know about or understand current affairs and past history. I'd prefer for everyone to know what's going on outside their personal bubble (job/school friends, family, etc.) if they have access to credible news sources. This becomes especially if they are going to vote, which everyone should. You don't like any of the candidates? Cool bro. At least vote for the one you dislike the least, so you had some say in your government. But obviously, access to decent media isn't always possible or a priority for a lot of people, so that's their position/choice. But dammit, if you don't know or care about a subject, then do not open your ****ing mouth about it. It really bugs me when people who have no knowledge of and/or interest in a subject start shooting off their mouth about it anyway.
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Apr 3, 2011,
To each his own.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
Absolutely it's wrong. Apathy enables exactly the gigantic problem we have in human society right now. We would live in a much better world if everyone was involved in politics and was informed. This isn't a "to each his own" like an interest in cars or sports might be, this is being involved in being part of human society. Failure to do that is failure at being human.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."
-Plato
I don't think it's wrong, but I don't think it's a great way to be either. Personally, I try to keep up with current world events and sometimes politics because it interests me, and because I like to know what's happening in the world. If someone chooses not to involve themselves in any of that, or take any interest in it, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's worse when uninformed people try to get involved in something they know nothing about and act like they do.
Quote by Pat_s1t
It's certainly not wrong to not know about or understand current affairs and past history. I'd prefer for everyone to know what's going on outside their personal bubble (job/school friends, family, etc.) if they have access to credible news sources. This becomes especially if they are going to vote, which everyone should. You don't like any of the candidates? Cool bro. At least vote for the one you dislike the least, so you had some say in your government. But obviously, access to decent media isn't always possible or a priority for a lot of people, so that's their position/choice. But dammit, if you don't know or care about a subject, then do not open your ****ing mouth about it. It really bugs me when people who have no knowledge of and/or interest in a subject start shooting off their mouth about it anyway.

I wasn't even of age to vote during that time. But it really annoyed me hearing all these people talking about how great a candidate is but they had absolutely no idea what he/she was for or against, just based their decision on stupid crap. Not everyone should vote, especially if they are that type of voter. That is what I believe is bringing us down. Well, one of the things anyway.
I think in the day of the internet, it's sad if you don't get yourself informed. You have an infinite source of information at your fingertips. And, if you can't find precisely what you're looking for, you can find somewhere that will explain how to attain that information.

We live in a very sad era of apathy. Not enough people care about politics. If you don't care, then you can't complain, because in a democracy (even as dysfunctional as they are today) you're ultimately the one responsible.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
People like to dress themselves up with political opinions usually to feel a sense of accomplishment in berating those of a differing political stance. Thing is all and any information on political science and international affairs cannot give inherent moral credence to any stance.

It's ridiculous to assume only those with knowledge and informed opinions on such information are intellectuals.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Politics is a game. If people don't want to play, they don't have to. I like to stay informed though.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Page 1 of 2