So I've got a pair of emg 81/85 (81 neck, 85 bridge) in my mahogany-body guitar and it seems not to be my thing any more, and I used to really like it! I think it is because they are too life less, and a little too hot and bassy. Well I've already got a Dimarzio Liquifire to replace my old emg 81 and it brings so much more life and is definitely a step up. So all I really need is a good bridge pup. I listen mainly to prog and thrash (stuff like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Symphony X, DT, Testament, Megadeth, Meshuggah, Pain of Salvation, etc.) so I need a pretty versatile pup. Which pickup do you think suits me best?
EDIT: Also if it helps, I play in E, so I don't need anything that is for br00tal droptuning
Last edited by CapnPuff at Apr 2, 2011,
maybe a dimarzio breed? i hear they're pretty good for thrash
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Levi79
Get a Crunchlab.

I was going to, until I realized how much of JP's tone I was already stealing. Liquifire, Mesa Mark Iv, Mesa 4x12 v30s. Seems like all I need now is a custom musicman
Quote by Levi79
Understandable. It depends what you like. Do you like brighter or darker tone?

I'm more of a brighter guy myself. I heard some guys suggesting me a JB, would a JB have enough output to suit bands like Meshuggah, Testament, or Death?
Quote by CapnPuff
I'm more of a brighter guy myself. I heard some guys suggesting me a JB, would a JB have enough output to suit bands like Meshuggah, Testament, or Death?

the JB isn't that heavy. its kind of a jack-of-all trades in my opinion, and im just not a big fan of the sound.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I wouldn't get a JB man. It's more of a heavy blues/rock pickup. It would do the stuff you want it to decently, but not as well as other pickups could. I'd stick with Dimarzio for the bands you listed. Check out an Evo or Evo 2 in the bridge. Evo is a really bright and clear pickup, the Evo 2 is similar, but a bit chunkier and more well rounded.

And ola's vids sound all very similar due to all the tweaking after recording.
Last edited by Levi79 at Apr 3, 2011,
Well is there a pickup sort of like the crunch lab, but with a little less bass?
How about the Bare Knuckle Holy Diver?
If you like the JB tone, you will LOVE the Holy Diver even more. Tim from BKP suggested this to me when I was looking for something versatile that was more open and clear, as well as more powerful than the current JB.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Quote by Levi79
I actually think the Evo 2 would suit you very well.

After looking around a bit more
i think you may be right. I have found that I am in a toss up between the evo 2, duncan distortion, and duncan custom. It probably would be a lot easier to make up my mind if I could find a comparison vid. So how do these pickups compare?