howdy, i was woundering what you guys think, about what amp is better for all kinds of metal, a mesa duak rectifier, or a orange rockerverb 100.

i know most of you will proberly say MESA straight away, but if you do give a reason,
i dont know which one i want, so help is need, cheers
Yeah, the Rockerverb is better for that doom-y/drone/sludge/stoner/whatchamacallit tone, but I think the Mesa is more versatile if you want to play more types of music.
I like the Rockerverb more. It's not just for stoner doom bands, look at The Fall of Troy!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
im really into metalcore, so parkway drive, um bring me the horizon, but also metallica, of course, and all that stuff. But then there is always the other clean stuff. I have enough for either so i just need help deciding.
Quote by khobi64
im really into metalcore, so parkway drive, um bring me the horizon, but also metallica, of course, and all that stuff. But then there is always the other clean stuff. I have enough for either so i just need help deciding.
Well out of those two, the Dual Rec for Metalcore
does each amp dramtically change the sound of the guitars i have, ive never really looked at new amps ive always just spent my money on guitars, so im a noob at all this amp stuff
Quote by khobi64
does each amp dramtically change the sound of the guitars i have, ive never really looked at new amps ive always just spent my money on guitars, so im a noob at all this amp stuff
Amps are approximately 80 to 90% of your sound...
ok, cheers, cause like i wanted to know is say a gretsch will sound good on one of these amps
Quote by khobi64
ok, cheers, cause like i wanted to know is say a gretsch will sound good on one of these amps
Not even sure if Getsch makes Metal guitar, do they?

IF it's like.. A hollow body than that will make a huge different however.
no, the gretsch isnt a metal guitar, but will it sound any good
my metal guitar is a esp, kh 2
and its a gretsch white falcon
Quote by khobi64
no, the gretsch isnt a metal guitar, but will it sound any good
my metal guitar is a esp, kh 2
and its a gretsch white falcon
That Gretsch looks like a Semi hollow body. Distorted I don't know that it would sound good. the ESP should be fine though
i know that the mesa is like a pretty sterio typical metal amp, but ive heard of some people using the orange rockerverb 100, and the boosting the dirty channel with a ibanez ts9, i know that is pretty random, but would it parallel, or is it much of a muchness
Quote by khobi64
i know that the mesa is like a pretty sterio typical metal amp, but ive heard of some people using the orange rockerverb 100, and the boosting the dirty channel with a ibanez ts9, i know that is pretty random, but would it parallel, or is it much of a muchness

There isn't really such a thing as a "stereotypical Metal amp". If it sounds good to you, no one should tell you otherwise.

I don't see how that is random, people do stuff like that all the time. Go right ahead if that is the sound you like. But honestly I think you should list everything I mentioned earlier, then we may be able to help you more.

I mean, for Metalcore I personally would for for the Dual Rec. but I play/enjoy a lot of Stoner Doom, so I would rather have the Rockerverb (actually one of the amps I want eventually)

To be honest I'm not really experienced in this too much, I just go by what I have read and heard. I'm still kind of a newbie too, I just have an urge to learn so I can get the most out of my gear and what tone I want.
i relise its a personal thing but i to do like the doom tone, i really do like the orange, but i didnt know if it would be a one genre amp...]
hence some questons, thanks for all the help
Quote by khobi64
i relise its a personal thing but i to do like the doom tone, i really do like the orange, but i didnt know if it would be a one genre amp...]
hence some questons, thanks for all the help
I don't consider it a one genre amp. The Dual Rec would be more versatile though.

However with certain little tweaks the Orange can pull off a lot of stuff. If you WANT that Doom sound, you wont get it from a Dual Rec at all.
unless you're looking for a really loose black sabbath kind of sound, or smooth bluesy distortion, i'd go for the mesa
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
a white falcon through a dual recterfier will be a waste of the mesa amp if im blunt and honest. I have a dual recterfier and using my mates PRS hollow body it doesn't feel so well suited.

your essentially taking a jazzy hollow bodied guitar and putting it through a metal aimed amp, genres which are on opposite ends of the musical spectrum. Same with the orange, its a more high gain amp, although the mesa is a bit more versatile than the orange.

the thing with hollow bodies is they feedback very easily. and is very hard to control this feedback. the white falcon is a great guitar dont get me wrong, but through these amps you will make the most use with a solid bodied humbucker equipped guitar.

Id stress looking for a new guitar aswell, or perhaps a second guitar to make full use of these two amps.
Last edited by loltroll at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by loltroll

jazzy hollow bodied guitar and putting it through a metal aimed amp, genres which are on opposite ends of the musical spectrum.

I agree with everything but this.
^^ how so? have you played a hollow bodied guitar through a high gain amp? maybe a cruncy amp will be more suited as his guitar is more built with this in mind. But an amp aimed towards metal/hard rock? well, when you play this combo, like i have with a $3000 PRS, you can see what i mean.
The dual rec does more than metal. I think that's his point.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by loltroll
^^ how so? have you played a hollow bodied guitar through a high gain amp? maybe a cruncy amp will be more suited as his guitar is more built with this in mind. But an amp aimed towards metal/hard rock? well, when you play this combo, like i have with a $3000 PRS, you can see what i mean.
Nah, I mean the fact that you said Jazz and MEtal are two opposite genres basically. Which is far from true.
yes i agree, but since he is into metal core and a bit of thrash metal this is his main use, and from owning one i can say with confidence with that guitar and those genres on either of those amps he will find it wont work so well.

all im pointing out to TS is that. Id hate him to buy either of these amps only to realise his guitar, and a lovely guitar that is it, is not upto the task with the amp and genre.
Quote by loltroll
yes i agree, but since he is into metal core and a bit of thrash metal this is his main use, and from owning one i can say with confidence with that guitar and those genres on either of those amps he will find it wont work so well.

all im pointing out to TS is that. Id hate him to buy either of these amps only to realise his guitar, and a lovely guitar that is it, is not upto the task with the amp and genre.
But he also mentioned he has an ESP.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Nah, I mean the fact that you said Jazz and MEtal are two opposite genres basically. Which is far from true.

oh, fair enough. not exactly what i meant but i see how i confused you.
Quote by Ironic Maiden

Can you give an example on how this isn't true? Metal is about being loud and aggressive. Harmonically most instruments work in unison on the same melodic/rhythmic idea. Instrumentally you must have a guitar player, often two.

None of this is true in authentic jazz (some fusion may be a different story.)
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Quote by Doodleface
Can you give an example on how this isn't true? Metal is about being loud and aggressive. Harmonically most instruments work in unison on the same melodic/rhythmic idea. Instrumentally you must have a guitar player, often two.

None of this is true in authentic jazz (some fusion may be a different story.)
It's a lot of times almost the same music. With technical Jazz and whatnot. Just with added distortion is all.

The playing is the same, the sound is different in a sense.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
It's a lot of times almost the same music. With technical Jazz and whatnot. Just with added distortion is all.

The playing is the same, the sound is different in a sense.

I'd say metal is the same as classical in way more ways than jazz. Even technical jazz. Listen to any metal band then listen to the Dave Holland Quintet, Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, or any of those big technical jazz guys and they are way different!

You want to link me some examples?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Quote by Doodleface
I'd say metal is the same as classical in way more ways than jazz. Even technical jazz. Listen to any metal band then listen to the Dave Holland Quintet, Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, or any of those big technical jazz guys and they are way different!

You want to link me some examples?
But I am talking like, Prog Metal, or stuff like Atheist
thats progressive which is not the same as metal. your comparing dream theatre to lamb of god with your argument. anyway this is way off topic for TS.

originally what i was referring to with metal and jazz being opposite ends of the spectrum is that the sounds, tones, types of instruments and amps and effects are all used in a totally different way. we all know music is music and we can use the same scale to do different styles. and my point was, if you took my original post in context with everything you agreed with is these amps wont suit his white falcon. And at this stage i didn't realise he had an ESP.
This is getting out of hand. Are you in the UK or US? Because that Orange is very expensive, but so is the Mesa. Look into the Single Rec as well - same amp, just not as loud.

The Orange is a great amp. It does metalcore/metal well. Especially with a tubescreamer of some sort thrown in. The Mesa is a metal machine, and for that Parkway Drive, Metallica type tone it's the choice to go with. But look into used Single Recs first - one can generally be had for $800 and is plenty loud for any gigging musician.