So I broke the high E string this week, so I had to replace it with a non coated string so its starting to rust by now. They're Elixirs that have been on my guitar for over 2 months, I play almost every day, there's no noticeable rust but the strings aren't feeling as smooth as they used too and there's grime under the strings. Should I replace them soon?

Also what's a good strap? Something that isn't slippery so when I tilt my guitar up for practicing solos I don't need to spend strength trying to hold it up. Something that's comfortable also.
Once they start to rust, it's a good time to get them off and replaced. Your fingers just won't slide as easily on them and it can make playing more difficult.

My favorite strap is the Guitar Pro Comfort Strap. The part that goes over your shoulder is wide, so it'll support a lot of weight without killing your shoulders/back. It also has foam in that area, to make the strap even more confortable. Haven't seen them in GC in awhile.

They still make them, here's the link:

http://www.comfortstrapp.com/products.htm

Edit: According to their website, I'm using the bass guitar model. All I know is I like how it feels on my electrics and acoustics. The wider strap really is comfortable.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Apr 3, 2011,
uncoated strings should NOT start to rust within a week.... and if the strings have been on for 2 months you should probably change them. Its really up to you when you want to change them but strings lose their tone when they get all grimey and worn out. Also the fact that one broke is a good sign that they're wearing out and should be changed.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Quote by ironman45
uncoated strings should NOT start to rust within a week.... and if the strings have been on for 2 months you should probably change them. Its really up to you when you want to change them but strings lose their tone when they get all grimey and worn out. Also the fact that one broke is a good sign that they're wearing out and should be changed.

Well my hands always sweat when I play, also is there any way to stop my hands from sweating? Ointments? Creams?
my hands get sweaty too but mine never get rusty and they've been on for weeks. One tip I got was to wash your hands before you play, gets a lot less grime on the strings and is pretty easy to do. Idk if theres really any way to make your hands less sweaty... any ointments are gonna leave even more residue on the strings.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Did you know that the chili peppers kicked out a replacement guitarist in their early days because he used "String Ease"! It's not very hardcore to use cream lol
just joking.
Anyway, you really should replace your strings at least every 2 months if your practicing everyday. Also, I use a planet waves strap. They hold on tight, don't fray and have heaps of cool designs.