Hello UG Metallers!

Quite some months ago, I had a brief idea in a thread that a few of us Canadian/North Eastern USA UGers could have a meet up at a very prominent metal festival in Canada, the Heavy MTL festival held on the beautiful Ile St-Hélène in Montreal, Quebec. This is a two day festival held on July 24th and 25th, 2011, and features a fairly decent lineup with some bands I'd be very interested in. This includes the following (by day):
Quote by Saturday
Disturbed
Godsmack
Billy Talent
In Flames
Trivium
Machine Head
Unearth
Suicide Silence
Kingdom of Sorrow
All Shall Perish
Red Fang
Straight Line Stitch
Quote by Sunday
Kiss
Motörhead
Opeth
Anthrax
Children Of Bodom
As I Lay Dying
The Sword
Times of Grace
DevilDriver
Diamond Head
Tickets are $148 CAD/USD for full weekend General Admission, and $202 for Reserved Seating weekend pass. We could perhaps get a discount if we went as a group, though we'd probably have to contact the organizers by email or something. There is also a Youth Hostel located in Montreal that does offer group rooms, so we could all camp in a dormitory type room or get a few separate rooms for the weekend, and split the costs between the lodgers. Anyway, I know Rancid Ivy is a local of Montreal and showed some interest in attending, and a couple dudes from my town made the road trip out last year and said it was awesome.

I am most likely going with a good friend and/or my brother already, so if any of you other UGer's would like to join us in our weekend of awesome, then post in this thread. If the idea has enough interest (like at least 6-10 people or so) then this could be a great summer experience!

- Pat_s1t
I would but....I probably won't. Also, I like almost none of those bands. Maybe if it was closer, like in Southern Ontario and there were more bands I liked.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Last edited by DonGlover at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by DonGlover
I would but....I probably won't. Also, I like almost none of those bands. Maybe if it was closer, like in Southern Ontario and there were more bands I liked.
There are about 8 or 9 bands on the list I would either like to or wouldn't mind seeing, main attractions being Machine Head, Opeth and Bodom. I just wish they had Mastodon playing too, but sadly they're only doing the Heavy Toronto festival
Quote by Pat_s1t
There are about 8 or 9 bands on the list I would either like to or wouldn't mind seeing, main attractions being Machine Head, Opeth and Bodom. I just wish they had Mastodon playing too, but sadly they're only doing the Heavy Toronto festival

Yeah Mastodon would be good too. It's really just a bit of a drive for me and it would be a waste of a drive to meet a few UGers I probably haven't even spoken to on here and at a festival full of bands I don't like (with the exception of Opeth). Just seems like a waste of money. A meet in the GTA would be cool though or even here in Windsor, because it would draw Detroiters/Michiganders. But quite honestly, Windsor is garbage and I wouldn't really want it here aside from the convenience.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by DonGlover
Yeah Mastodon would be good too. It's really just a bit of a drive for me and it would be a waste of a drive to meet a few UGers I probably haven't even spoken to on here and at a festival full of bands I don't like (with the exception of Opeth). Just seems like a waste of money. A meet in the GTA would be cool though or even here in Windsor, because it would draw Detroiters/Michiganders. But quite honestly, Windsor is garbage and I wouldn't really want it here aside from the convenience.
I could definitely go either way, since I'll be flying with a buddy who works for Air Canada, and thus I get cheap airfare. I'd just prefer to go to the Montreal venue since the TO bands aren't as good as the Montreal ones IMO. I guess if you dudes were up to it you could go to TO, though I figured you could just as easily take a train depending on your location, and train fares are dirt cheap. This thread is just as a water tester, see if enough UGers in the area want to go. If not, then I'll be going regardless so it's not a big deal
I would love to go! But I'm all the way in Manitoba.
Plus, I wouldn't want to go alone. I would want to go and meet up with a UG'er(s) I know.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
^ Yeah, that would probably be kind of hard since you're pretty far out from Saskatoon and Winnipeg. Hopefully we can get a few Montreal locals to get on board with this in the next few days or so, I'll keep this thread updated as long as there's interest.
Quote by Alexander_BR
Dude, I'll be in Montreal during that time during summer!
Awesome dude! If you wanted to shell out $150 for the whole weekend, or at least $80 for the obviously superior lineup on Sunday, then you should come out with us!

It's a bit of a livelier time of day now (albeit not by much), any more interest in this?
Not a single death metal band.

Ams dissapoints.

EDIT: Some of the bands would be cool to see, not gunna pay the price of the ticket and drive just for a few out of the big list of bands.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Apr 3, 2011,
I can see where you're coming from. But I've lived in a small town about as far into the middle of nowhere as something resembling society gets, so I really don't get to see any bands in concert ever. The only two concerts I've ever been to were the first and second Mayhem festivals, which were basically the same as this; a few bands I really want to see, jumbled with a bunch of bands I don't. You're basically shit outta luck in Canada anyway if you don't live in Montreal or Toronto, as far as all the major tours go. Sometimes they'll go to Vancouver or Calgary or something, but pretty much never go east of Montreal. So when an opportunity like this comes up, I pretty much have to take it.