Hi there,

I was recently pulled into a bad as an emergency bass replacement player (first gig in 24 days) So the pressure is on, I had a 4 string but it sucked so I got me a 5 string Ibanez. Our guitarists tune D and I want to know what I can tune my bass to so that all the songs I have learnt can be played as it was on the 4 string, with the use of my new fatty top string.

n00b question I know but desperate times..

thnx
Since your guitarists play in D, I'm guessing that you're asking what is the tuning for 1 step down on a 5 string? Sorry, but that is my best guess as to what your question is

A D G C F - that is 1 step down on a 5 string
i would just do what the sleeping sun recommended and tune all strings a full step down, and just not use the low A string
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
you culd drop the E to D and aviod the B
i know this aint helpful(Sorry) but borrow a good 4-string and drop it to D or relearn the songs using that b-string, which I promise you WILL be worth the effort
Yes, re learn the songs in the normal tuning. You'll be wondering to yourself why didn't in the first place. It'll make you a much better player.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
^Not only i disagree with that sentiment in general, I also find it inappropriate. He has learnt the songs in D, and only has a few weeks to get down to a gigging standard as an emergency bassist. The important thing here is that he needs to be at gigging standard and give a good show. Relearning everything at this stage would be a setback if anything.
Personally I'd tune everything down 1 whole tone G to F, D to C, A to G, E to D, B to A. It gives you the tuning you're used to and the Low A string will be easily usable if you choose to use it.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^Not only i disagree with that sentiment in general, I also find it inappropriate. He has learnt the songs in D, and only has a few weeks to get down to a gigging standard as an emergency bassist. The important thing here is that he needs to be at gigging standard and give a good show. Relearning everything at this stage would be a setback if anything.

it's not as though he doesn't have time to learn the songs in an altered tuning, seeing as he has nearly a month till the first gig. If he has difficulty transposing it, or the riffs consist of tricky patterns based around an open D, then I'd concur and say it would be best to tune it down. I'm just thinking it would be more beneficial for him in the long run.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fleajr_1412
it's not as though he doesn't have time to learn the songs in an altered tuning, seeing as he has nearly a month till the first gig. If he has difficulty transposing it, or the riffs consist of tricky patterns based around an open D, then I'd concur and say it would be best to tune it down. I'm just thinking it would be more beneficial for him in the long run.

that's a logic I never got. Why should playing in E standard instead of D standard make you a better player?
If anything, experementing with different tunings should make you a more versatile player, but I can't see a really downside to the use of different tunings...
I dont see why i'd make my life more difficult by playing something in D in E. Just downtune, everything will be much easier. I'd do it to mess around and it would make me somewhat a better player, but in terms of performance and all that, just play it the way it was intended to be played.
pinga
Quote by Djaydjay
that's a logic I never got. Why should playing in E standard instead of D standard make you a better player?
If anything, experementing with different tunings should make you a more versatile player, but I can't see a really downside to the use of different tunings...

It's the idea that you'd have to move all the riffs into different positions, which would help you learn the fretboard better. Of course it's subjective, some people might not find it very useful, others might. In my eyes there's no harm in trying it once.
Quote by skater dan0