Alright, so on Christmas, I asked for an Epiphone Wilshire pro, for 400 dollars, and when I got it, I had no real problems with it. I thought its tone was good at the time, I liked it aesthetically, and it was a good instrument over all. However, after playing it for a while, I'm noticing flaws:

>The tone is Thin, and I've noticed this with a lot of Epiphone guitars.

>It doesn't handle effects from pedals very well, they sound watered down.

>It seems to treat all gain as fuzz, and this is frustrating when I want heavy distortion for metal and such.

These are just a few, but something else I've found is that I could have easily purchased a fender, which I prefer, with intervention from my own money. So, I've been thinking, if I sold the guitar, and a few games and such, I could purchase a Blacktop Jaguar, which I would prefer, but of course there's a huge problem with this: It would be a dick move to my Mom, who purchased the instrument for me, and I wouldn't have a justifiable reason to bring this up. This is the only problem though, it wouldn't mean that she would spend anything more than what she paid for the guitar.

So, am I just GASing for a dream that'll never come true, or should I actually bother? I know, I probably sound like a jerk, but I felt like UG would be appropriate to ask.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Those symptons seem like they could be caused by rubish pups?

You need to enjoy playing, so if you dont like it then you need to change something!

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
most of those sound like pick up and amp problems

any distortion is mostly from the amp
Could be your amps. I'd take the guitar and your pedalboard into a guitar shop and plug it into an all tube half-stack and see if it still acts like that. Or even in a Fender Mustang.

If you get more satisfaction out of your Vendetta with these amps, then maybe you just need to upgrade the pups in the Wilshire to something better suited for your genre. I put a Duncan Jazz in the neck and a Duncan Designed Detonator (from my Schecter) in my Squier and now it ROCKS. I play that more than my MIA Strat, or any of my other guitars. Of course, it's a matter of personal preference and lots of folks even hate the Duncan Invaders that the Detonator tries to copy--although I like mine in the Schecter. So many pickup choices out there, so if you tell us what genre you play, there will be no shortage of UGers to give you pup advice.

I'd hold on to that Wilshire, if nothing else, to perserve the relationship with your mother. You have plenty of time to pick up Fenders as you build your income stream.
Heh, thanks guys, but anyhow, I play blues, with some funk and jazz thrown in. But also, on humbuckers, I really want something with good telecaster-style twang, any recommendations?
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Last edited by Bluesblitz at Apr 3, 2011,
your not really playing thorugh metal heavy amps tbh :S

as suggested above id go and stick your guitar into a peavey 6505 or something like that then see what its like
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
He just says he plays blues funk and jazz, and you suggest a metal amp?

Funny

I would try to take the guitar to the shop and play some decent amps, and when you still feel that it isnt enough, play your guitar unplugged.

When you like it unplugged but not plugged, switch the pickups!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
Last edited by RMB at Apr 3, 2011,
Your Fender Superchamp should be good enough for what you want to play. I'd go with a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the bridge, but I don't know what humbucker would give you a Telecaster twang. Guess it would have to be something kinda light and it would have to be 4-wire so you could split the coils, so get ready to change out a pot on the guitar with one you can pull out for the coil tap. You could also do that with a seperate switch, but I don't recommend drilling into the guitar for that. I'm sure a million UGers can give you good recommendations for humbucker for blues. I just play my Strat with single coils for blues, but usually I like lots of distortion or fuzz even for blues. We have Jazz in the neck in another Strat for the guitar my daughter played in the Jazz Band at school, but the other pup in that is a Detonator I pulled out of a Schecter. And my other guitars have DiMarzios or Dunan Invaders, so I can't help you much more than this for what you want to do.
Quote by Bluesblitz
But also, on humbuckers, I really want something with good telecaster-style twang, any recommendations?

Fact: That's not going to happen.

"Telecaster Twang" comes from the Telecaster bridge single coil and the massive bridge plate that it's attached to. It's not something that can be voiced in a pickup, much less a humbucker.

Opinion: Your best bet would be to switch to some lower output humbuckers (like a vintage voiced PAF copy or some Fender Wide Range copies, and let the gain come from your amp/stompbox, instead of your pickups.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
i was about to say amp but the superchamps alright. It could just be that you need to tweak the eqs better
Quote by RMB
He just says he plays blues funk and jazz, and you suggest a metal amp?

Funny

I would try to take the guitar to the shop and play some decent amps, and when you still feel that it isnt enough, play your guitar unplugged.

When you like it unplugged but not plugged, switch the pickups!

>It seems to treat all gain as fuzz, and this is frustrating when I want heavy distortion for metal and such.

hmm i beleive some one didnt rea dthe full thread it is rather funny is it now

geuss i read metal wrong...meh
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
If you like the look and feel of your guitar then by all mean upgrade the electronic. To be honest I have rarely found an Epiphone below high-end range with good pickups or even clean cable wirings.

My recommendation would be to take a look at a pair of GFS Pickup (from guitarfetish.com) or if you feel that you have more money to spend then a pair of Seymour Duncan would be fine. Learn to wire the pickup yourself or leave the guitar at the shop.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

what you really need is a Firebird X Limited Edition
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by hminh87
My recommendation would be to take a look at a pair of GFS Pickup (from guitarfetish.com) or if you feel that you have more money to spend then a pair of Seymour Duncan would be fine. Learn to wire the pickup yourself or leave the guitar at the shop.

+1

I've had good luck with GFS pickups, and they're cheap!!

Seriously though, keep the guitar because your mom went out and spent her money on it specifically for you. As a parent I know that kids change their minds all the time. But still, it would probably mean a lot to her if you hung on to it. Customize it with new pickups and you might find an amazing guitar hidden under crappy stock electronics (that's pretty common...)
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2