Hello UG

I have a case of GAS and am fancying a new amp. I live in the uk near London, like metal (maiden, bmfv, tallica etc) and have approx £500 of my English pounds to spend.
I already have a vypyr 30 and vk 112. I like the vk (stock) but would like something more high gain.
I have absolutely no intention at this stage of gigging (only been playing a year) so want something that is going to still sound good at lower volumes. I can crank it a bit but most of the time like to consider the wife n kids.

To this end, I've narrowed it down to a hb212 v30 cab from thoman and a ht5h OR a 6505+112 (as it has a master volume).

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Just to poll for opinion, with that choice would you go blackstar for the isf versatility or the valve loveliness of the 6505?

All I have on the pedal board at the mo is a bad monkey. Used it to push the vk and it worked well at that.

Thx
Last edited by -Ed- at Apr 3, 2011,
They're completely different amps... depends on your needs.

A blackstar HT1 or HT5 is a solid practice/studio amp where volume is not needed, and give you good tone at bedroom levels. It's handy how you can use them as heads, which is why I'm looking at getting one and if you get a good cab for it you can still use it when you upgrade to a more powerful head for gigs. There probably isn't much other choice for low wattage amps that can do metal apart from the blackstars; I've only come across blues and jazz focused ones, but you'd have much more choice in the UK than me in AUS.

As for the 6505... the 112 combo is not US made I believe and not the same level of quality. Not sure how good the internal speaker is, but Bullet use 6505s. It still would be a loud amp and a good entry point into high-gain tube amps, but the 6505 heads will give you the genuine tone they're famous for.
However, as a low volume tone machine, the 6505s may be more suited to live use and may not be ideal at home.

I'd eventually chose both =-P

There's not much point of asking us as they're both good buys, but have a listen to both and see what suits your needs at the moment, and what will in the future. It's all up to your needs and your ears... all we can do is nudge you in the right direction.
I see you already have a Vypyr which is a solid SS practice amp and a valveking which is a good entry into tube tone, so they might do for practice purposes unless the Blackstars are something really special. I'm still waiting for one to come in so I can try it. XD

Still, I wish I had your current gear after playing for a year.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 3, 2011,
I'd go with the 6505. I have the HT-5, and it's a great amp and all.. Metal tones are easy to get, especially with a bad monkey/eq (Which I use), but the 6505 is in a whole different category.. It's an amazing amp, especially for what you pay for it.

And you're also doing 5 watts vs 60... What do you need? Bedroom playing only? Gigs? Jams?
The HT5 isn't any more high-gain than your VK.

I'd also say that the VK has plenty of gain anyway if you boost it with a Bad Monkey. What does the sound of that setup lack to your ears? What exactly are you looking for?
Yeah the difference with the HT5 is that you can achieve that pushed sound at lower volumes for home use.
thx for the quick responses - I had to dissappear for a bit...
@baumaxx1 - Yep, I am lucky - I'm 35teen so can buy pretty much what i want but am not going silly with the super expensive stuff as I cant do it justice (yet)

@absentone - bedroom, no interest in gigs. Can crank it occassionally but dont want hearing damage. The VK past 3 starts getting too loud....(thats the old fart within talking). My VK sounds ok at ~0.8 but gets much better at 1 and beyond and that has no master volume

@Qman - I'd like something that can do high gain like bmfv. I wont be getting rid of any amps so will keep the vk as the cleans are good. After 12o'clock even with a bad monkey the gain just doesnt quite do it for me. I cant decsribe it, somedays I think its ok, others not.

I like the idea of the 6505+ as it has the master volume and has the sounds i want
I like the idea of the HT5 being able to swing between USA and UK and being bedroom friendly.
I'm slightly put off the HT5 by some of the comments saying the signal can sound a bit digital - something i "feel" I can hear in my vypyr. But at super low and for headphones, the vypry rocks. I'm not a valve snob though which is why it is in the running.

Trouble is I can't get to a shop easilly and A/B them so was just going to take a punt and pick one.
I think the 6505+ combo would be better. I had the ht-5, it was ok, not great at all really. The 6505 combo has a pretty poor stock speaker in it, and usually stock tubes. But once they are replaced it can sound really nice (and perfect for what you want i.e BFMV) so I'd get the 6505+ and get saving an extra 100 pounds or so to upgrade it at some point.

Another option would be the Bugera 6262, which is cheaper, and sounds just about as good or so I've heard, but I haven't played it.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Yeah, the vintage 30 speaker swap seems to be a common mod short of getting a cab.

Master volume is definitely a handy thing to have and can make it usable at lower volumes I guess. You'll just need to see how well the tone is preserved with its use.
Changing the speakers the same for the VK. If I get the HT-5 and cab i can run the VK through that too and judge the speaker change. I've been reluctant to upgrade the speaker as its £80 that could go towards a new amp/pedals.

On you tube there's some awsome vids showing off theses amps. I was almost set on the 6505 till listening to the stuff that fearredse fella's done - he's got a couople of vids on a ht-5h.

As things stand now I'm prob heading towards the harley benton v30 cab with the ht-5 head as its a bit more versatile and bedroom friendly.

I'm being a bit fo a gear tart and would like to try some stuff out - would be interested to hear more from the owners of both amps.

I'm using a Dinky dk2 atm - how much would a guitar with EMGs in it do for the metal tone?
Quit it with the made in china BS.
The 6505 combo sounds different as compared to the head because the internal circuitry is different. Not because it is made in china. It's still got the same quality control as compared to parts made in the US IIRC.
For BFMV you are after a more modern voicing, which is why your boosted VK doesnt sound right, which I would also say means a boosted ht5 wouldnt either.

I have had both a HT5 and a 6505 ( head through a 212 *miss it dearly*

go for the 6505 mate.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
the 6505 112 combo is pretty awesome for a chinese made tube combo thats supposedly "entry level"

the other guitarist in my band has one, but the pre and post are reversed on his so they do the opposite of what they should, but it works fine and sounds pretty awesome, especially for the price.

if its just for at home use then id say the ht-5 though, because the 6505 is pretty meh below 1 volume
Quote by -Ed-
Cheers for the comments chaps, please keep em coming. Have beer now and am at the devils window so must avoid purchase tonight!

How the fk does this guy get this outta a HT5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aynUeOnDl60

because that guy is an awesome metal sound engineer and could probably make a banjo sound huge.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by -Ed-
Cheers for the comments chaps, please keep em coming. Have beer now and am at the devils window so must avoid purchase tonight!

How the fk does this guy get this outta a HT5?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aynUeOnDl60

An expensive boost pedal. A cab that is worth 3 times the cost of that amp. Top end microphone and a quality recording set up. Double tracking and its his full time job.

Trust me, the HT5 wont make you happy.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The HT-5 won't cover any more genres than what your VK already will.

Get the Peavey.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
poo - and there was me leaning back the other way.....

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure

Tell me - will the 6505+ 112 sound nice at low volumes? The low volume of the ht5 is appealling, but if the 6505 will sound good low, I do like the noises it makes on utoob. I like to keep the vk around 1 ish.

Just to recap, i'd like to be playing Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, BMFV and a bit of tremonti-esque creed or AB stuff. With a bit of patience on the EQ will I get close to most of those sounds?

Edit to add a Q: How different is the reverb to the VK?
Last edited by -Ed- at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Quit it with the made in china BS.
The 6505 combo sounds different as compared to the head because the internal circuitry is different. Not because it is made in china. It's still got the same quality control as compared to parts made in the US IIRC.

Ok, I'll rephrase that. It's a budget entry point into 6505 amps, and there's been compromises made. I'm sure it's a great amp for the money though, but ultimately you'll want the heads.

If the HT5 won't deliver on what you need and if the 6505 sounds fine on low volume, then it's an easy decision as it will give you the sound you want. Best thing you can do really is play both.
Holy tits that HT-5 sounds like the biggest baddest metal amp ever made in that video hahahahahahaha!

Very funny how studio time can do that. Any clue on what song he's playing in that?
Quote by baumaxx1
Ok, I'll rephrase that. It's a budget entry point into 6505 amps, and there's been compromises made. I'm sure it's a great amp for the money though, but ultimately you'll want the heads.

If the HT5 won't deliver on what you need and if the 6505 sounds fine on low volume, then it's an easy decision as it will give you the sound you want. Best thing you can do really is play both.

Who cares if it's made in China? So is the HT-5. The head may be better, but it's also twice the price

At least the 6505+ is a real tube amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Who cares if it's made in China? So is the HT-5. The head may be better, but it's also twice the price

the HT-5 is made in Korea
also why isn't the HT-5 a real tube amp?
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Last edited by Shayne777 at Apr 4, 2011,
Quote by Shayne777
the HT-5 is made in Korea
also why isn't the HT-5 a real tube amp?

Eh, whatever, pretty much the same thing

The HT-5 is mostly solid state circuitry.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I thought Ola's HT-5 vid sounded pretty crappy. No saturation, not as much gain as you people make it out to have, not for me at all.
I agree with those that are suggesting modding the VK. Speaker is the first place to start but there are so many mods out there for the VK. The VK stock is a meh amp but with a few alterations they can become quite a nice amp indeed. You'll learn a lot doing it too. Head over to the Valveking thread.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Look, the 6505 sounds fine at low volumes. Don't let a tone snob tell you otherwise.

Yes, it will without a single doubt sound better at higher volumes. It's an all-tube amp.

The HT-5 uses clipping diodes for the overdrive tones. Hence, solid-state components. Not to put you off it though, I love the crunch of my HT-5. And I play metal. I just use a Bad Monkey out front and an MXR 10-band in the loop.. Sounds great.

I am actually looking to upgrade from my HT-5 to a 6505+ 112, though.

So it's this for you:
all tube vs. hybrid
60 watts vs. 5 watts
12" speaker vs 10" speaker
Modern voicing vs Blackstar's own voicing through the ISF

Personally, the 6505 > HT-5
Quote by MatrixClaw

Yeah, the 6505 is a bigger spend vs. the HT5... And the 6505 standard head can be only a couple of hundred more than the combo and is an amp professionals use commonly. It will need a decent cab though, probably a V30 loaded 212 by orange or something is a decent match. It will double the price over the combo though, but is what you'd want ultimately.

With the HT-5, you seem pretty set for practice gear; it does make a good practice and studio amp, but your needs seem like the 6505 is a better buy. It's not a real tube amp, but is as close as a hybrid amp will get to one.

The valveking mods are another thing that are worth looking at, and can help bridge the gap between that and a 6505, but the combo could very well be a good choice. You'll probably upgrade it, but if you really want it/"need" it, its a good buy. Doesn't look like the HT5 is what you really need from what I've read here.

Choosing gear's tough. I've been looking for an amp for a month and a half now and kinda postponed it XD But these are both options I've considered.
Yeah choosing can be a bit of a pain sometimes when head and heart disagree.

I've run the jack mod and fx mod on the vk and hear the improvement. I'm seeing info that suggests the fx loop mod on the 6505 may add value too. I'm def gonna keep the vk and may take my soldering iron to it at some point.

Based on what I'm hearing on t'internet and the common opinion here seems to be 6505 I'll prob head in that direction. I think it's highly likely it'll still sound very nice at the volumes I want to play at.

Thx folks
Look at the Bugera 333xl, not sure if it's been mentioned, but I bought one with the same cab and it sounds great. I use it for modern metal (although it can do great cleans), and it still sounds really good at low bedroom levels.