I am looking to get a versatile practice amp. I have narrowed my search down to the Peavey Vyper and the Vox VT+ series. Has anyone any experience with either of these?

Thank you for any help
I've got a vypyr 30 and have had it for about 6 months now and it does everything I need it to... I play mostly metal to anything rock and you can get any tone you want from it if you dial it in properly and it's got a sh*tload of stompboxes and effects as well, but getting the sanpera pedal will help a lot to be able to use those on the fly. I love the vypyr, but haven't tried the vox, but have heard a lot of good things about it as well as the vypyr too. I think either one you go with you won't be disappointed as far as i'm concerned. what kind of music you jammin to or playing??
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
Well I play mainly metal stuff as well but I do like to occasionally play funk and blues e.t.c
Vypyr.

Vox VT doesn't do good metal tones, while you can easily play blues and funk on the Vypyr.
I'd recommend trying them both before acting. I own both 15W models and I find myself liking the VT's warmth of the pre-amp tube that's there, but the Vypyr does have a better gain and stuff, but it just sounds clinic/generic to me. I guess if you play more than just metal, the Vox would be the way to go, you just have to find a gain-channel you digg. I love the Brian May AC30 model (it's the one @ 1 o clock), with the gain cranked. Sounds metal to me, but with a nice vibe to it.

Just try them both and see what you like best. In a better situation you should borrow one of them from a friend or something, then you'll really see what you want, probably.
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
Quote by JesusCrisp
Vypyr.

Vox VT doesn't do good metal tones, while you can easily play blues and funk on the Vypyr.

TS stated VT+ which isn't the same as the orginal VT.

The VT+ is the next generation of Valvetrorix amp. It has 11 new amp models a total of 33 many of them from the AD VT XL high gain series.

It's getting really annoying when people who don't know what they're talking about.

Go around saying a VT+ can't do metal because the original VT wasn't all that good at metal which is debatable in and of itself.

EDIT:
Quote by TuningGamer

Just try them both and see what you like best. In a better situation you should borrow one of them from a friend or something, then you'll really see what you want, probably.

The actual correct answer

I own a VT20+ the tube stage in the preamp isn't a gimmick it actually does help the tone.

Not saying a VT+ sounds like a tube amp but IHMO it's warmer than the all solid state Vypyr 30...

The Vypyr Tube is has better tone than either of them.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Apr 4, 2011,
What is your budget? Also, where are you located?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cheers for all the info! My budget is around £200 although I could push a bit extra (I'll mainly buy off eBay). I have tried the Vox VT40+ and I actually do really like it, I haven't found anywhere which sells a Peavey vypyr yet unfortunately. I had a look at the Vox ad50vt-xl which looks quite good as well, just because of the high gain models on it however I think someone on here said that a lot of the models from that amp were modeled onto the VT+
The vt + does metal much bette4 than the previous valvetronix. If I had played one before the vypyr, I would have got one instead of the pv. Id go the vt+, but no other vt for metal.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
peavey Vyper.. i have the 15 watt and the things cranks loud sounds good at any volume.. and lots of effects....