so just been playing my relatively new (but 2nd hand) epi G400 [photos here]

decided to do some muse style s*it and shake it about for no apparent reason, found out that something inside it was rattling, so opened the back up it looked like this:

i take it these red buttons with green tape aren't stock on epi SG's?

the thing is, it's function is completely useless too, well i say useless, it HAS a use, but a shit one.

it kills the sound, like a killswitch, but it's a button, it has no on/off, if held down, the sound cuts, if let go, the sound comes back.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBHf6NJ5iOw

now is this something someone wanted to customise the guitar and make a killswitch do you think? or something else? i'm completely baffled by it. it's the most pointless thing in the world if you ask me.

should i leave it or would removing it be fairly simple? or could i possibly not turn it into a killswitch myself? even though i've no actual use for one... if so, how hard would it be?

also here's a video, with no guitar sound, of just what it all looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXKg51KfdQE

is it safe?

should i worry that my electrics will fry up or something?

help!

cheers
- Jack
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Apr 3, 2011,
Looks like a killswitch.

Edit: damn your edit beat me to it.
Last edited by matt154 at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by matt154
Looks like a killswitch.

it's inside the guitar though, no way of accessing it without unscrewing the backplate... why would it be there???
You said it yourself... It's a killswitch...

A button killswitch, by the sound of how you described it it's like the style that buckethead uses it.

Tap the button, kills the sound. Not useless at all...

Ever listened to Jordan by BH??
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by Dempsey68
it's inside the guitar though, no way of accessing it without unscrewing the backplate... why would it be there???

Maybe the previous owner thought it was cool to wire one up then forgot that he didn't want to drill holes in his guitar.
i suppose, so do i just need to drill a hole if i wanted to 'install' it then?
yeah you'd just drill a hole and mount it.
killswitches that are only activated when held down are called momentary, and its used for that stuttering effect. im pretty sure tom morellos is like that.

as for why its in the back still, i'd say the last owner wanted a killswitch for a certain song where he'd just hold a note and stutter it, and he didnt want to drill the guitar, so he left the backplate off and used it like that. stupid but, people do weird things
so yeh, update. decided i was gonna add it to the outside of the guitar just because why not waste it?

bought the guitar for £75 so resale isn't an issue, plus i'll be keeping it for a while anyway...

so here's a pic of what it now looks like.

now i know what you're thinking, "it's behind the input jack"

why yes it is. for 2 reasons:

1. it seemed the best place to put it as far as hole-drilling goes, and
2. i won't be using it THAT much anyway.

so yeh, epi SG now has a killswitch that i'll probably never use but it's nice to know it's there "just incase"
The previous owner probably used one of the volume/tone pot holes for the killswitch. When he decided to sell it he thought it would have more chance if it didn't looked customized.

Sounds pretty close to me.
Quote by Dempsey68

My guess is that they aimed to drill a hole to attach it to the face of the body, but got the wrong type of switch so, instead of re-wiring it, they said **** it and just put in in the cavity.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by kurt_cobain9
My guess is that they aimed to drill a hole to attach it to the face of the body, but got the wrong type of switch so, instead of re-wiring it, they said **** it and just put in in the cavity.

took me about 30 seconds to install it from where it was though... so don't see how that was a problem :S