Page 1 of 2
Hey you guys, last night my dad say me down and told me that i spend way too much time playing my guitar. He said it's a waste of time and doesn't ever produce anything. I've been playing about 6yrs and I'm Almost 17yrs old. He said I need to get a job and get my head out of fantasy land. What should I do? I'm in a band and we have 3 gigs booked but he just doesn't get it. Is anyone else having this problem?
Quote by fishstickrocker
Hey you guys, last night my dad say me down and told me that i spend way too much time playing my guitar. He said it's a waste of time and doesn't ever produce anything. I've been playing about 6yrs and I'm Almost 17yrs old. He said I need to get a job and get my head out of fantasy land. What should I do? I'm in a band and we have 3 gigs booked but he just doesn't get it. Is anyone else having this problem?

What you really need is a new amp.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

What you really need is a new meme.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

I agree I have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional but I'm still using a 15 Watt behringer amp I'm applying at our local guitar shop today.
Quote by fishstickrocker
I agree I have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional but I'm still using a 15 Watt behringer amp I'm applying at our local guitar shop today.

Get a job, I'm sure you'll still have some time to work with your band.
Your dad is jealous and/or a douche.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
sadly, unless you have very good abilities not just in playing songs, but in writing them and being apart of a band, you'll never make a career out of playing guitar.

although i dont know you personally, i'd say your dad is thinking along the lines of "there is no career in this for him, and i want my son to succeed." if i were you, keep the band as a hobby, but get a part time job too.
technically, nothing anyone will ever do will be "productive" or "useful" because we're all going to die and the human race will eventually be wiped out one way or another. So...tell him to put things into perspective :P, second..this whole notion about stuff having to produce things for it to be worthwhile exemplifies the materialistic mindset we have nowadays -.- it's your life, you do what you like to do and enjoy it. /rant
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Is he the one paying for all your gear? That's probably why he's pissed.

Get a part time job, it'll probably shut him up
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Tell your Dad to fvck off, hobbies are important.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
Quote by Sir Daniel
Tell your Dad to fvck off.

Do this. Then report back.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Doonan
sadly, unless you have very good abilities not just in playing songs, but in writing them and being apart of a band, you'll never make a career out of playing guitar.

although i dont know you personally, i'd say your dad is thinking along the lines of "there is no career in this for him, and i want my son to succeed." if i were you, keep the band as a hobby, but get a part time job too.

I think I'm good, I don't use this site to learn I do everything by ear. Ive written some good material and I actually think I might get somewhere. I'm incredibly motivated but I don't sound like anyone of today. All of my influences make me sound 70s-80s rock n roll. I want to bring the attitude back to our genre because in the recent years it's lost
almost all of it.
Quote by Jackal58

This. You should expect a brand new amp and guitar from your father as a treat for your heroic ballsiness.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
Quote by fishstickrocker
I think I'm good, I don't use this site to learn I do everything by ear. Ive written some good material and I actually think I might get somewhere. I'm incredibly motivated but I don't sound like anyone of today. All of my influences make me sound 70s-80s rock n roll. I want to bring the attitude back to our genre because in the recent years it's lost
almost all of it.

All the more reason to tell your dad to fuck off.
Oh and make sure you report back.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
It's possible to have a job and play guitar.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I'm going to summarise this simply: Do you enjoy playing guitar?

If so, tell your dad to mind his own ****ing business.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Banjocal
I'm going to summarise this simply: Do you enjoy playing guitar?

If so, tell your dad to mind his own ****ing business.

Yep, pretty much this.
He has a point unless your very lucky your band is going to get you nowhere whereas some job experience will get you money and something to put on you CV to help in the future.

Doesn't mean you have to quit the band or anything as you can still enjoy yourself and have a job.
Originally Posted by Sir Daniel
Tell your Dad to fvck off

Quote by Jackal58

These guys have my vote
This is going to be AWSOME!

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by fishstickrocker
I think I'm good, I don't use this site to learn I do everything by ear. Ive written some good material and I actually think I might get somewhere. I'm incredibly motivated but I don't sound like anyone of today.
thats good that youre motivated and skilled. then i'd try to get somewhere with your band. however, its always good to have a backup, and in that case i'd still get a job on the side, even if its only a few hours a week. maybe teach guitar lessons?
From a realistic point of view, it's very very very unlikely that you'll be able to make a career out of guitar playing. Even somewhat famous bands that tour endlessly make close to nothing these days because of widespread illegal downloading and such - there was a band member from Oh, Sleeper (a signed, medium-tier band) that posted his financials somewhere, and it came down to him making around $10 a DAY. But if it's something you truly enjoy, do not stop playing guitar, and keep it as a hobby/something on the side.
Gear:
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey 6505+ Combo (60w)
Roland Cube 20w
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-5
Don't back down man but don't tell him to fvck off, if you claim to have attitude like the old skool bands your gonna have to go better. Let him walk in on you mainlining H into your eyeballs whilst in the middle of an orgy. He'll realise you are legit right there and then fo'sho!
Make some money from gigging and shove it in his face while telling him to eat your guitar.

Or, you know, just tell him to **** off.
My dad actually always tells me to find a band and try to make something out of my playing.
Your dad sucks, TS!!!
He's probably just jealous he doesn't have any hobbies or dreams.

Though seriously, you should at least try to find a part time job. You would be an idiot not to, as realistically, chances of getting any where with your music or not much above non-existant. By all means, try to, and enjoy it, but don't expect it to happen, and a job will provide you with both a back-up plan and funds for the music
Quote by fishstickrocker
almost all of it.

THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Just get a job, you dirty hippy.

But seriously, you should get a job. Guitar isn't a waste of time (I'm going to school for music ed), but that's not an excuse to just not have a job.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Jackal58
All the more reason to tell your dad to fuck off.
Oh and make sure you report back.

A dad trolling another dad subtly over the internet, how delicious

TS, whilst you may enjoy playing guitar and being in your band, realistically you are going to have to do other things too. Get a job, enjoy being able to support yourself and spending half your money on your interests (ie, guitar)
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Get a job but make sure he understand that your music is not a waste of time. I would be severely pissed off if my dad said something like that. But my dad can tell me to be responsible without being an asshole.

Make money from gigs, give guitar lessons and get a small job. When you tell him that you have three sources of income you can say it's not a very fantastical situation.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by fishstickrocker

The only waste of time here is your dad.
This will start a RIOT! in me
You should of had a job at 16, if you don't get a job now, it's actually gona bit you in the ass, and it'll be really hard to get a job, cause employers see that you are whatever age and you still haven't worked anywhere, so they assume you are lazy and unproductive, and there's about 100 people who would do the job happily and much better than you anyways.

Guitar should be a hobby, not your life at your age, get a job, and then you can play guitar all you want.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Guitar should be a hobby, not your life at your age, get a job, and then you can play guitar all you want.

Agreed. Definitely go for it with your band, but make sure you have a backup plan! That way, if your band ends up not working out, at least you have work experience and a job that can support your hobbies.
Quote by ethan_hanus

Not really .

Also, I see why TS' dad said it is a waste of time... he uses fishsticks as a plectrum.
This will start a RIOT! in me
Not to be an ass, but it's not like nobody has ever tried to bring back the "attitude" into music again, it's juts that chances of succeding at doing it are incredibly slim. But think of it this way, you can keep playing if you get a job, it's not like you aren't going to have time at all, and you can buy awesome gear with your own money.

Just my 2 cents

(just think of all those amps and guitars you could afford)
Soothe his troubled soul with nice romantic acoustic song, and he'll soon feel the love again.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Nothing is a bigger waste of time than the Pit itself.

go on.
........................,;:/|Simply~~Strings|\:;,......................
Quote by JustRooster
I love you forever.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
That Rick Roll was extremely well played.
Page 1 of 2