I heard somewhere that bands use multiple heads and/or cabs or acheive a guitar tone. I have no idea if this is true or not but do they like record through multiple heads and/or cabs and mix them together to generate a bigger overall tone?

I'm working on producting my friend's band's first Demo and i'm wondering if we can use Amplitube for this? It's hard to discribe but if anyone knows what i mean some advice would be helpful.

For example, the rhythm tracks could feature a Mesa Dual Rec Head, Peavy 5150 Head and a Marshall JVM head but all going through impulses? Perhaps the same impulse but the heads done on different takes or the same take? I honestly don't know, i've been recording with only 1 head/impulse setup for each rhythm track so far but this is definatly an area i want to explore.

So thats
Track 1 - Mesa Dual Rec - FRED45 0 Impulse
Track 2 - Peavy 5150 - FRED45 0 Impulse
Track 3 - Marshall JVM - FRED45 0 Impulse

And mix these together or will it sound too messy. Also do all these tracks on separate takes or the same take?

Sorry if i've repeated myself but it's hard to describe.
I just did a recording where we used an SM-57 and a 421 for each amp

I used a Les Paul and a Randy Roades through a Mesa and a Marshall giving me 4 tracks in total

Just record each guitar with multiple mics and combin them together to find the best sound
This is a popular studio trick. How do you do it? The guitarist plays the original track and it's recorded through a DI or from a mic'd cab to the ADAT, or whatever they're using. Then, the engineer is able to play back the original track through another amp, using the same mic or a different one. Typically, they use different mics for different sound. This track is also recorded. This can be repeated as many times as needed to achieve the desired sound. Another method is where the guitarist actually plays the same piece again.
Basically, record the same part for each setup you wanna use. So if you plan on using 4 different amp setups, record 4 different parts. DO NOT COPY PASTE! I will come cut your balls off if you do. It leads to really shitty guitar parts
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
It really depends on your approach. Some songs only require a single guitar track recorded through a single amp combination. Other songs might require multiple guitar tracks, each through different combinations of amp/mic blending. The possibilities are endless, ultimately you just need to have an idea of what kind of sound you want and experiment.
Quote by lockwolf
Basically, record the same part for each setup you wanna use. So if you plan on using 4 different amp setups, record 4 different parts. DO NOT COPY PASTE! I will come cut your balls off if you do. It leads to really shitty guitar parts

What about recording through the 2 setups at the same time? Like record tracks 1 and 2 at the same time? Or would that cause phasing problems?
I've tried the different amp thing for each track(Ended up using six amps and three of them were modelled.) and it just sounded muddy to me.
..I was watching my death.
I don't use impulses, but I mic up different cabs all the time. When using multiple mics you can get phase distortion. That's easily fixed if you know where the mic capsule is on all your mics. Just measure distance from the grill to the capsule and make sure it's that same for each mic.

I'm guessing you'll get less of a benefit if you're using impulses. You might as well DI from the same amp and just use different impulses to fill out the tone.
As for multiple tracking, when you double track you usually want it to just be a big guitar sound all around you. When you use different tones the different sides can become too distinguished and in turn not sound that great.

Some people like to use one tone for two rhythm tracks, say panned 100 left and right and another tone for two more.. when quad-tracking that is. But it can get pretty busy and just become a mess.

But you can use multiple tones for a single track if you want.. but sometimes it won't sound that great when double-tracking as well.
Blending different impulses together can sound great.

Just experiment with different things.

But keep in mind that your guitar tone doesn't have to sound godly on its own.
The most amazing huge tone might sound horrible in a mix and vice versa.
when mixing signals like this, i typically aim for two sounds that are different enough from one another to blend. sticking two high gain amps with a similar voicing together will get you some mush. but if you get one amp for the low end growl and another amp for the top end sparkle, i find i can get them to blend better.

now to be clear, what i am talking about is when recording the same part and having a similar panning. so if i was quad tracking, i would have 2 takes of each setup. maybe have the brighter amp 100% L/R and the darker/growlier amp 80% L/R.

i find that the more you start layering parts, the more you have to make sure they are sonically different. that means either differing tones, different positions on the neck, different inversions, and so on.
Ok, thanks for the advice everyone. I think i'll stick to one head/impulse setup rather than blending different tones, maybe something i'll practise in the future.