Your first "fast" improvised solo?

I've been practicing scales for literally hours and hours for the past week now but I don't seem to be improving.

I have about 4 months left to practice until this gig. I need to be able to improvise some Buckethead style licks by then.
I'm willing to dedicate up to 5 hours a day.
use audacity then create a backup track on it then improvise on it fast using the scales you know
you could always write some out and learn them by heart
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

There is more to practice than just running scales. work on finger exercises, learn about music, and just mess around with things that you wouldn't do normally.

remember, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. go slow and get it right, make it clean, and then speed up little by little until you can play it as fast as you can and not sound like crap.

as said above, recording yourself doesn't hurt either.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
^ then your playing guitar for the wrong reasons. However, some of us (eg. Dave Mustaine) started to play because they thought theyd get wimmin. Guitar carried them away...
Quote by jedi_obigwan
I need to get better because this girl will not notice me if I'm a crap guitar player.

I'm no longer sure if you're not just trolling.

If you're serious: you'll get much more attention if you play slower things really well than if you play fast, especially if you play like Buckethead.

Also worth noting: no one cares if you play guitar anyway. The whole world plays guitar these days so really people don't give a crap.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
But how long did you guys practice before you got good?
Ofcourse the world doesn't care but your close friends would..
Quote by jedi_obigwan
But how long did you guys practice before you got good?
Ofcourse the world doesn't care but your close friends would..

No, they don't care either. They're already your friends, why should they give a damn? Besides which, if you're talking about a girl and she's already a friend then you're friendzoned and therefore beyond help.

Anyways, I've been playing for at least 8 maybe 9 years and I still think I suck. The second you stop thinking you're terrible is the moment you stop practicing which is never good.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Its not how long you practice. Its how much you focus and how much you achieve inside as little time possible. If someone paid you 20$ to travel 20miles would you rather run it or take a car? Running takes more work and a longer time to achieve. Taking the car is much faster and you achieve what you needed much easier. Observe how your practicing and ask yourself "Is this really the best way for me to improve?" Only you can know the answer in how YOU practice and how YOU improve. All I can do is highlight the keyfactors that are important in discovering your own practice schedule.
I've half a mind to lock this out of pity...

TS - MTFU!

You don't "need" to be able to improvise a Buckethead solo at all, and telling yourself that isn't going to achieve anything or benefit you. Learning the guitar takes as long as it takes, your desire to get things done doesn't amount to an awful lot in the greater scheme of things, only the amount of time you actually spend "doing" stuff. Having said that practicing scales up and down isn't going to get you any closer to being able to improvise so change your focus.

Your technical ability on the guitar will have sod all bearing on whether or not a girl will notice you, usually just standing there with one is enough. Girls like songs, you're far more likely to impress her by strumming the chords to Hey There Delilah and singing.

Like Zaphod said though, everybody plays the guitar so it's not going to be the deciding factor. I suggest smelling nice, buying drinks, making eye contact and smiling during the gig (a lot harder to do if you're worrying about playing something overly complicated) and making polite conversation afterwards. Make sure you listen and continue to make frequent eye contact. Don't stare, because that's creepy and gives off a bit of a stalker-y vibe. Equally though don't spend the whole time staring at her cleavage - girls don't like that for some reason.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I guess I was at around 2500 hours of practice before I was comfortable improvising fast stuff cleanly and which I personally felt was musically interesting.

That said, serious manning up issues.

If you're in it for chicks what you really want to do is avoid shred like the plague. Have you seen bucketheads girlfriend?

Oh yeah.

And if your friends are only your friends because you promised them "Buckethead solos in 5 months guys, see you at the gig!" then they're ****ing douchebags.

+1 to Hey There Delilah. You've probably got enough time to learn to sing and play that in time for the gig and you can get pretty buff and take tango lessons and whatever normal people do to get chicks, because I assure you, shred =/= bitches.
Quote by Riffman15
After I had been playing for about 6 months.

I learned Hammet's solo in the Four Horseman, which contains stock pentatonic licks. Soon I was able to apply those to improvisation.

This is a great example of how to learn to improvise. Learn the small phrases other people have already invented and practice using 'em (improvising). Couldn't agree more.
I go up and down the exact same notes in the minor scale at a very fast speed with sloppy technique. Do I win?
Quote by triface
I go up and down the exact same notes in the minor scale at a very fast speed with sloppy technique. Do I win?

Add a chorus flanger live and you'll sound like the shit to be reckoned with, trust me
: )
tbh practicing the scale isn't going to make you faster, you need licks and phrases to play and a scale doesn't get you that. simply learn or write a few phrases (start simple with 3or 4 notes) and practice them slowly, then later play them quick....

also I don't know how long I played before I could improv a solo quickly, I usually like to play slower bluesy type stuff, then one day I was jamming with a metal band and flew through a really fast solo full of some of my favorite licks with some flare on them. speed will come eventually, but if you listen to some SRV or some clapton or hendrix, you'll hear that you can be just as impressive with short slow licks as you can with really fast ones....

anyways good luck, and Ihope your only kidding about the girl thing and that you are actually playing because you love to play guitar.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by jedi_obigwan
Wimmin > Guitar > Money ..... > Booze

>Making a tit of yourself>FOREVER ALONE
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Anyways, I've been playing for at least 8 maybe 9 years and I still think I suck. The second you stop thinking you're terrible is the moment you stop practicing which is never good.

This is very true.
I realized this week...
I had a giant ego crash. I thought I was good at lead, but then I tried learning the solos in Holy Wars by Megadeth, I couldn't learn them. My fingers just weren't fast enough.
Now I'm back to square one, practicing with a metronome, doing scales over and over and over and over...
..I was watching my death.
WOW!!! I just changed my strings to extra slinky ones (from normal rusty ones) and my speed increased exponentially! I'ma go tell everyone now!
Thanks!!
Quote by bengreen
^ shit troll

It's looking that way, warned
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Mate, practicing scales over and over again for hours on end every day will get you nowhere. Take it easy. Take rest days if nessasary. (you will be suprised how much you might have improved over a day of not playing)

Also, take notice of technicl things like your alternate picking. Is it ALL alternalte? I went a long time thinking i had it nailed till someone pointed it out and i was suprised at how crap ti actually was (luckly i straightend it out in a week but i still need to work on speed). Also watch your wrist movement, try to use minimal movement in your wrist and gradually build the speed up. Same goes for your fretting fingers, use as little movement as possible so your not using as much energy. Dont rush, take it easy and slow and just gradually increase the speed along with the metronome. You only need to do this for about 10 mins a day.

Take care dude
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and Gibson Les Paul Custom is litteraly sex in my ear!!!

"THESE AMPS GO TO 11!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by MarshallStackLP at Apr 4, 2011,
I noticed more fluidity when I switched strings. I changed my position a little bit making sure the wrist of my fretting hand isn't bent.
improvisation is more a mental then a physical process (shit, so is playing guitar). scales are good for aural training and warmups, but if you want to play fast solos, you need to practice soloing (start slow, then work up). if you practice scales fast, you'll be able to play scales fast. if you practice soloing, eventually you'll be able to solo fast.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Although I encourage you to continue practicing and getting better at guitar, you probably have a better chance of impressing this girl by playing a popular song on acoustic guitar and singing. I'm not even joking, that's just how it works, unless this girl isn't your typical teenage (I'm assuming) girl.
Quote by zincabopataurio
Although I encourage you to continue practicing and getting better at guitar, you probably have a better chance of impressing this girl by playing a popular song on acoustic guitar and singing. I'm not even joking, that's just how it works, unless this girl isn't your typical teenage (I'm assuming) girl.

This is so very true...
There's so many douchebags at my school that learn guitar just so they can play a couple of chords shittily on an acoustic guitar and sing off-key and terribly.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by zincabopataurio

It would be a shame to spend years learning to shred and have the girl be totally unimpressed by it