Hello there,

I need help with decision which amp to buy.Dilemma is between:

* Hughes And Kettner Statesman Quad el84 40w(530£
* Laney Lionheart l20t 20w(450£

It is not possible for me to try this Laney ,so can u tell me something about this amp?

Cheers
Tell us what music you play and we'll tell you which one is better for you.

The H&K is more versatile, and has a bright, aggressive character overall. Gets pretty gainy, too. The Laney sounds a lot darker, very mellow (well, mellow for a Laney, that is) and doesn't have as much distortion on tap. Either is nice. I'd describe either as aimed at rock tones of the past, with the Laney also handling blues particularly well, while the H&K will get you into classic metal territory.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by TheQuailman
Tell us what music you play and we'll tell you which one is better for you.

The H&K is more versatile, and has a bright, aggressive character overall. Gets pretty gainy, too. The Laney sounds a lot darker, very mellow (well, mellow for a Laney, that is) and doesn't have as much distortion on tap. Either is nice. I'd describe either as aimed at rock tones of the past, with the Laney also handling blues particularly well, while the H&K will get you into classic metal territory.

I prefer bluesy sound and nice clean(SRV,Pink Floyd).And,I use pedals for distortion.

Also,I need amp for smaller gigs(to 250 ppl).

Is this Laney loud enough for that?
Should be loud enough, you'll be mic'd at larger gigs anyway. If you want to provide stage-volume with the Laney on larger stages, you'll run out of clean headroom with the Lionheart. If you like your cleans crunchy, that's no problem though.

If you want loud + good cleans + you like the Statesman, look at the 6L6 version instead:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/hugheskettner_statesman_dual_6l6_bk.htm

This thing has better cleans than either model in the opening post. It's also not as aggressive as the EL84 versions if I recall correctly.

Anyway, the cleans of a Lionheart don't sound much like Floyd at all. The Statesman EL84 gets a little closer, the 6L6 gets much closer.
Quote by TheQuailman
Should be loud enough, you'll be mic'd at larger gigs anyway. If you want to provide stage-volume with the Laney on larger stages, you'll run out of clean headroom with the Lionheart. If you like your cleans crunchy, that's no problem though.

If you want loud + good cleans + you like the Statesman, look at the 6L6 version instead:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/hugheskettner_statesman_dual_6l6_bk.htm

This thing has better cleans than either model in the opening post. It's also not as aggressive as the EL84 versions if I recall correctly.

Anyway, the cleans of a Lionheart don't sound much like Floyd at all. The Statesman EL84 gets a little closer, the 6L6 gets much closer.

Thanks,man!

That's what I needed to hear!I am not able to try this Laney,so any info is valuable.
H&K 6L6 version is too expensive for me.And,these two amps are the only choice at the moment.

So,you think I should go with H&K?
Sounds about right. Can you demo the H&K? Because even though it has nice cleans, they might not be exactly spot on for what you want to do, even though it's definitely closer than the Lionheart.

I mean, I like the Statesman series. I got to try the EL84 a couple of times and I'd snatch one up if I saw it for a good price for sure. But that's just my taste in amplifiers, it might be totally different for you. (For example, I like that it's one of the few amps in it's price range that has equally good clean and overdriven tones, but I guess that's not that important to you: )
But if it's between the Lionheart and Statesman for the stuff you want to do, the Statesman should work for you a lot better.

I'm not sure how much clean headroom it has, I never got to turn one up loud enough to check that. But at 40w, my guess is that it should cope with stage volumes pretty well.
Quote by TheQuailman
Sounds about right. Can you demo the H&K? Because even though it has nice cleans, they might not be exactly spot on for what you want to do, even though it's definitely closer than the Lionheart.

I mean, I like the Statesman series. I got to try the EL84 a couple of times and I'd snatch one up if I saw it for a good price for sure. But that's just my taste in amplifiers, it might be totally different for you. (For example, I like that it's one of the few amps in it's price range that has equally good clean and overdriven tones, but I guess that's not that important to you: )
But if it's between the Lionheart and Statesman for the stuff you want to do, the Statesman should work for you a lot better.

I'm not sure how much clean headroom it has, I never got to turn one up loud enough to check that. But at 40w, my guess is that it should cope with stage volumes pretty well.

Today,I went to a local store to try some other Laney.Luckily,there was Lionheart L5t.I played it for a 20 minutes,and it sounded really good,but it is just not the sound I want.It is too dark for my taste and I don't think I could open it up with effects.It is 5W version,and there shouldn't be big difference between this one and 20W version.

Honestly,I was leaning toward Statesman all the time.I had chance to try H&K(for a 10 mins,though) and I really liked the sound.The only reason I even considered getting Laney is because of good comments on its clean.And it has good clean but it is not clean I am looking for.

Well,I made my choice.It is going to be Statesman,definitely.

Thank you for your help.
Yeah, that was the impression I had of the Laney, too. The cleans are lovely, but totally not what you're looking for. To be fair, the 20w versions sound a bit livelier than the 5w combo, but they're essentially the same - just too dark.