So I am playing a song that requires (well requires me anyway) to alternate pick fairly fast to play it. Thing is, I just was playing it and I realized I wasn't even alternative picking. Instead of Up-down-up I am playing Up-down-down. Here is part of the riff how I play it:

---u d d u d d u d d u d d u d d u d...
D|---------------------7-----5--------------....
A|------5-----8----------------------8*----....
D|-0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0---0-0------00....

And it sounds good and all but is this bad that I am playing it this way? To me that is way more efficient and easier. I think I have heard this is economy picking but I have never done this elsewhere. Anyway thanks in advance im just curious
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
Looking at the style, this looks like it needs to be played with palm muting.. in which case it would be better to do all downstrokes.

If it doesn't, I'd go with your way.. it is called economy picking, like you stated.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
i'd just down pick it all anyway, you look like you're economy picking
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Quote by Silent Murder
Looking at the style, this looks like it needs to be played with palm muting.. in which case it would be better to do all downstrokes.

If it doesn't, I'd go with your way.. it is called economy picking, like you stated.

Indeed it is palm muting, but the tempo is so fast I can't keep up without it! Thats of course due to my lack of down stroke speed but i'd rather work on other skills than trying to get my hand to become a engine of speed lol.
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
Could you post the song this riff is from? I can see what I think would be the right way to play it but until I hear the song I can't be sure...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If you know its all down strokes with palm muting, its better to practice the correct technique at a slower bpm than to practice an incorrect technique and have to switch later

Playing at a slower speed with the palm muting and downstrokes will build muscle memory, and you'll be able to do it faster after a while
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Could you post the song this riff is from? I can see what I think would be the right way to play it but until I hear the song I can't be sure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fpAFOSPKDs

Starts at 2:32.

And I suppose you are all right and its not like I haven't worked on fast downstrokes but this song is just ridiculous fast for me.
Set Up:
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX-401
Sanpera Footpedal
You're just economy picking it; I see no reason not to continue doing so unless you're specifically trying to work on downstrokes.
There's not really any right or wrong way to do things I think, as long as it sounds and feels good to you.
However, just make sure you get correct articulation of the notes when you economy pick it, since that can sort of have the effect of having notes flow into each other a bit, whereas alt.picking or downpicking articulates the individual notes more.
Quote by Invert-blu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fpAFOSPKDs

Starts at 2:32.

And I suppose you are all right and its not like I haven't worked on fast downstrokes but this song is just ridiculous fast for me.

Well I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that this riff is downpicked by the band themselves then. If you can't solidly downpick it (and it is a challenge) then I would say use downstrokes for all the notes on the low D and upstroke everything else you can.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I start doing

d u u d u d...

for some reason.
I can go from outside to inside really easily though, as long as you can do it easily and have it sound right it's good. Outside picking would be different for me, I can't fly with that.
: )