Hello!

I was playing through some licks i found online and i am wondering... how on earth do you play chords with a pick? Because when i hit a chord i tend to hit the strings way to hard,
resulting in bad sounding chords. And how bout the soft/hard picks, when to use which one?

Like for instance in Californication where you first have the picking part and then the chord section, it seems like i cant play both with the same pick. Matter of practice or matter of technique...

And if it is technique, how do you do it.

Thnx
you just play chords with pick. If you cant nail it, practise!

About picks. Some people like thinner (<1mm) for soloing, and thicker (>1mm) for rhythm guitar. I personally play a bit of both and like a pick of 1mm.
Quote by fc89konkari
you just play chords with pick. If you cant nail it, practise!

About picks. Some people like thinner (<1mm) for soloing, and thicker (>1mm) for rhythm guitar. I personally play a bit of both and like a pick of 1mm.

A lot of people prefer it the other way around, since thicker picks flex less and have a different attack to them.

Either way, TS: it's technique, you need to be able to control your dynamics while still playing the exact same thing. Try watching this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROYgceF8LrI
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Practice is key. The pick thickness and your grip are essential here too. You don't want a kung fu grip on your pick if you're going for a softer sound.
I think starting with a light pick helps build your pick control a lot better than using a thick pick, every beginner I've ever taught I've made them use thin light picks and they seem to develop a lot more control and dynamics over their picking than the one's who use big thick picks.
Thanks for the input lots of good tips i can put into practice. Never really occured to me that my firm grip on the pick also gives a strong sound, kinda obvious actually. So i'll start with a soft(er) pick, got a thin one and a medium one. Even though the medium is kinda thick already lol.

Now its practice time
Rather than plucking the strings as you would when picking single notes, try lightly dragging your pick over the strings. It'll give you an easier motion and a smoother, more even sound. It also makes strumming with a relatively heavy pick much easier because you're not having to push the pick through multiple strings - it simply glides over them.
It's a matter of both technique and practice. Make sure you're using the correct technique in holding the pick and striking the strings correctly. For strumming your grip should be very loose, and the pick will give on the strings and 'glide' over them.

Make sure you aren't adjusting your grip on the pick when switching between strumming and picking, other than tightening or loosening said grip, otherwise you won't be able to switch between the two very smoothly.