This is the first time I've had to deal with a string retainer

Currently it's on, what do I do?
1) Leave string retainer exactly where it is (it works thus far)
2) Unstring
3) Re-string with the FR
4) Tighten the strings under the retainer
5) ... good to go

I've never done this before so I dont want to screw it up.

Plus if something goes wrong with my string retainer, how do I ensure I can set it back to the way it was? I love it how it is right now.
: )
Just slide the string under it...
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Cjk10000
Yeah, just like the one at the top image here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

I tried looking through there but it doesnt seem the question i want is specifically covered.

Oh, that bar just acts like a pivot point for the strings so it puts more pressure on the nut and helps the strings go straight to the tuners instead of at an angle.

It acts just like string tree's on Stratocaster and guitars with the single side of tuners.
^It's also there to make sure the strings are touching the entire length of the bottom of the saddle grooves, so the guitar won't go as horribly out of tune when you lock it down.

And yeah, leave it. Or rather, double check that it's low enough, even though that makes it a little more labourous to slide your strings under the bar without having the string ends scratch the face of the headstock.
Leave the retainer in place and replace the strings one at a time.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
I always take it off when I re-string. Makes it quicker than trying to squeeze the strings under and back up through the nut.
Quote by littlephil
I always take it off when I re-string. Makes it quicker than trying to squeeze the strings under and back up through the nut.

That's the usual thing to do. Remember when screwing it on again, two turns are great.