Hey guys, I've always wondered how people activate/deactivate multiple effects at the same time. The simplest example of this would be switching from one level of distortion to another. How do you do this though, as it seems like stepping on multiple pedals at once just wouldn't cut it. I have one of these Morley A/B switchers. Do you need something like that?

I'm not sure, but that would work better for switching between two different amps.

I typically just use a boost pedal on the gain channel to get higher gain, then I'll step off the boost pedal and lower my volume on my guitar to get a cleaner tone.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
You use either an amp modeller, or you use a MIDI loop switcher, like the GCX. Or an MFX with channel switching relays and stomp box loops. Or you use 4CM with an MFX board with loops.

+1 for teh MIDI switchers
Well I use one of these http://www.roadrageprogear.com/tb1004.html

It's a True Bypass Looper. The purpose is to remove pedals from your signal when they're not in use, thus making your whole guitar signal true bypass. But you can also assign muliple pedal to one loop so that when you press the switch, it turns them all on/off at once.It's a cheap alternative to a MIDI switcher.

MIDI switchers are expensive but they allow you to assign multiple effects to a single switch. The difference is that with a True-Bypass Looper, the pedals that you want o turn on all have to be in order. With a MIDI switcher you could turn on the first pedal in your chain and the last pedal without them having to be physically connected to each other. It allows you to set up any combination of pedals in any order.

The MIDI switcher is much more effective, but a True-Bypass Loop is very useful if you simply need to reduce your tap-dancing on stage. It just won't allow you to use pedals 1, 7, &5 and then switch to pedals 3, 1, 9, &6 in one button press.
^ one good thing about a MIDI switcher what you didnt mention that some of them can be used to turn the channel of an amp that supports MIDI with the same click that you use to turn X amount of pedals on/off.
Quote by fc89konkari
^ one good thing about a MIDI switcher what you didnt mention that some of them can be used to turn the channel of an amp that supports MIDI with the same click that you use to turn X amount of pedals on/off.

Amp doesnt have to support MIDI.
Mesa's dont. They have external channel inputs. So a relay can go to them and switch channels.
Ie the G Major has two such relays.
^Or an ankle joint that can 'turn'? I hear they're are pretty rare in America though. haha.