I will 100 percent seriously paypal £20 to whoever helps me out with this.

I recently had to replace my telecaster nut as it broke. I have since done so, but there, for some reason, is a visible gap between the nut and the neck on the bass side of the guitar. The intonation in the first couple frets gets worse, the lower the strings go. The high E is almost perfect, but the low E is literally a whole half step out of tune in some areas. Obviously, my guitar is unusable in this state.

I can improve the intonation by putting a capo on first fret and tuning it down to EADGBE, but that is really not a reasonable compromise to me.

I've tried evening out the nut, but it seems completely impossible. I've tried using a shim, but that offers no change whatsoever. I don't know if it's nut height, the depth of the cuts in the nut, or what. I just need my guitar back!

Thanks so much to anyone who helps.
new nut???
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I'll take some pics with my DS camera now. The nut is a graphite one apparently designed to fit a tele, I had to modify it heavily to make it fit however, and the bass side of the nut is just horrendous. Pics in a sec.
Here's the bass side. I would like to add that this is the best possible fit I could get, even after hours of modifying the thing.

Picture 1

Here's the other side, looks just as horrible but the intonation is far superior.

]Picture 2
And a view from the top.

Whilst I realise I won't probably have this fixed tonight, if I do, I was serious about the 20. :P
Last edited by kaneorsomething at Apr 3, 2011,
Looks like you got some left over glue in the nut slot, and for some strange reason, it looks like the original had a rounded bottom or something...strange.

Anyways, just try chipping out all the old glue, and lightly sand the nut slot, to get it more square, and then glue the new nut in, and then re intonate your guitar and you should be fine.
You should seriously consider having a tech replace the nut (or the entire neck, if it comes to that...).
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
You either have too much glue under the nut or the nut's too big. Either way you PROBABLY need to file the gap clean and wider/deeper IF NEEDS BE and then re-glue it in. Make sure there's no gap (ie. check if the nut fits without glue first, if not, file).
Thanks all for replies. I've been working at it for a while now and I have a much better fit. I've checked my intonation and I'm between 10 and 25 cents out on the first five frets. Should I just settle for that or keep going until it's 10 and under?
Quote by kaneorsomething
Thanks all for replies. I've been working at it for a while now and I have a much better fit. I've checked my intonation and I'm between 10 and 25 cents out on the first five frets. Should I just settle for that or keep going until it's 10 and under?

Hey, it's all about personal preference. What did you do exactly?
Quote by conor-figgy
Hey, it's all about personal preference. What did you do exactly?

I just don't want any sort of sound inconsistencies to be audible, but I also don't want to make the nut too small/misshappen and **** it up.

Basically, for some reason my Telecaster (MIM) has a round nut insert. I basically just rounded off the nut so it fit it as well as possible. I think it's a solid fit. I'll reset my intonation and see what happens.
It's annoying being this close. As far as I can see the nut fits just fine, and I'm still getting 30 cents of difference in some places. Do you think it's more to do with height than fit at this stage?
Quote by kaneorsomething
It's annoying being this close. As far as I can see the nut fits just fine, and I'm still getting 30 cents of difference in some places. Do you think it's more to do with height than fit at this stage?

Not 100% too sure, try set up your truss rod. Hope I'm helping!
Quote by conor-figgy
Not 100% too sure, try set up your truss rod. Hope I'm helping!

I'm still going at it lol, I've tried my truss rod. Just snapped my high E for the third time today, which was ironically the only string I've had any luck with. Man this is driving me nuts!

I've tried adjusting the intonation a million times, nothing seems to change. I think I'm gonna take some more pictures.

Here it is from a couple angles. It looks fine to me. I just dunno what else to try. Should i make the holes deeper in the offending areas? It's worth mentioning perhaps that I'm going sharp, not flat in my bassy strings.

Sorry if this is annoying, I'm just stumped.
Seems that the wood is damaged from the old nut. Take a chisel and file the neck till all edges get really flat. Then, if you can afford it get a new nut like this one (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Graph-Tech-TUSQ-Oversized-Nut-Blank-1-8--360617-i1175590.gc) and file it down correctly, or take to a luthier so he files it for you. If you can't afford a new one, shorten the depth of the gap with little wood slivers and superglue, till the height is perfect. After the new nut (or the old one) is installed, you adjust the truss rod, the bridge, and everything should be fine. Oh and the strings should be half inside half outside the nut, and all the filing should be at the same angle of the strings go into the headstock.
Last edited by 54Thiago at Apr 3, 2011,
Not much, as long as you take your new nut with you. If he has to make a custom-made nut (which is probably the best option) it'll be a little expensive, but totally worth it. If you actually take it to a luthier, have the guitar set-up, it will be worlds better. And you will not have to worry about it for a very long time.
I think the nut is a little loose, but anyways, post pictures of how it looks after you get the job done.
Judging by those pics, the nut is far too high.
Take the capo and put it on at the 4th fret, then have a look at the gap between the strings and the top of the first fret. There should be a very small gap there, but I'd say you'll have a pretty big gap, probably almost 2mm.

EDIT:
Quote by 54Thiago
Oh and the strings should be half inside half outside the nut, and all the filing should be at the same angle of the strings go into the headstock.

Only the low E should be half inside the nut. The A and D should be about 3/4 in the nut, and the G, B and e slots should all be sitting level with the top of the nut.
Really that's a preference thing too, having the strings sitting fully inside the nut won't make a big difference at all.
Last edited by littlephil at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by littlephil
The A and D should be about 3/4 in the nut, and the G, B and e slots should all be sitting level with the top of the nut.
Really that's a preference thing too, having the strings sitting fully inside the nut won't make a big difference at all.

Mine are all half in half off, just the high E sits fully inside the nut.