Hey guys

as stated in the title, these are my 2 choices

Im into a variety of music, from chili peppers to john mayer to slipknot to AC/DC.

I am a bedroom guitarist, so i need low volume but usability (hard to find with a tube amp)

now here are my pros and cons

Laney
Awesome classic driven sound (that hopefully can be distorted for some slipknot style metal)
Great cleans
Cheap
1W and 15W outputs
Full EQ
Reverb

Cons
No Headphone output
Dont know if it can be pushed to slipknot territory distortion

Blackstar
Awesome distorted metal tone, and good classic tone.
ok Cleans
Headphone out
standby switch
full EQ

cons
No 1 watt output
Gain is for overdrive channel only, so cant use it to break cleans slightly
expensive
sound sounds a little digital.

Now i want to know a few things from you guys

1, at low volumes can you get a good driven/distorted sound from either amp?
2, does the blackstar sound as digital in person as it does on vids? seems like the gain is digital and the amp doesnt really have that tube "break up"

i have to order both these amps, so i cant really play them before hand

any opinions on both?
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
I pondered getting a new amp for a while and was decided on the HT-5 for it's distorted sounds, but then I then decided I did not want to tie my sound to a specific amp and bought the HT-Dual pedal instead. This gives me basically the same preamp as the HT-5 but I can couple it with any amp and obtain three great channels. I'm pleased with the sound I get with the HT-Dual with my SS amp for now and I will probably get the Cub 12R when I can justify spending more money on this hobby It seems unbeatable at it's price.
Quote by Distortion_101
Hey guys

as stated in the title, these are my 2 choices

Im into a variety of music, from chili peppers to john mayer to slipknot to AC/DC.

I am a bedroom guitarist, so i need low volume but usability (hard to find with a tube amp)

now here are my pros and cons

Laney
Awesome classic driven sound (that hopefully can be distorted for some slipknot style metal)
Great cleans
Cheap
1W and 15W outputs
Full EQ
Reverb

Cons
No Headphone output
Dont know if it can be pushed to slipknot territory distortion

Blackstar
Awesome distorted metal tone, and good classic tone.
ok Cleans
Headphone out
standby switch
full EQ

cons
No 1 watt output
Gain is for overdrive channel only, so cant use it to break cleans slightly
expensive
sound sounds a little digital.

Now i want to know a few things from you guys

1, at low volumes can you get a good driven/distorted sound from either amp?
2, does the blackstar sound as digital in person as it does on vids? seems like the gain is digital and the amp doesnt really have that tube "break up"

i have to order both these amps, so i cant really play them before hand

any opinions on both?

How the heck can a fully analogue amp sound digital?
Hey, I had the same choice about a year ago, could not find the laney to play either. My main amp is a laney so was automatically leaning that way. Tried out the blackstar in a local shop and was immediately happy with it and went for it. It is a very decent practice amp, wish I had got to play the laney but do not regret my decision. The cleans are actually quite good with a strat, lack of reverb was fixed with a holy grail and now I really like the clean channel. Distortion tone is very good to pretty badass, I do not go as high gain as slipknot but can do RATM, Smashing Pumpkins hard blues Muse etc, it has never not done what I want but im not a metal player (actually good ac/dcish range if you mess with the ISF thingy)

I wanted it for bedroom practice in college so the headphones jack swung it for me, with decent headphones its quite good (well as good as you get with headphones, definatly not the real thing). Its actually pretty loud so has to be run low (the 1w in the Laney maybe better for this). I am pretty happy with it though, thinking of getting a mic for it to use at long distance gigs that im not arsed bringing the half stack to.
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
its got that punch that tube amps tend to have, but when i hear the amp, i dont know, it just sounds digital, wheras the cub sounds more tubey

just from what i have noticed from vids and that. might be different in person. or it could be my mind playing tricks on me

kh2ouija thats also a good point. might look into that.

i am leaning more towards that HT5, mostly cause headphone capabilities is a big plus for me. but i have a cube (which sounds digital) so if the blackstar will sound like that to me, ill have to get the cub (and tend to annow everyone cause i have to play loud to drive it)

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
The headphones are a help - if you use them at night your house mates dont get as pissed off when you turn her up during the day

Some dont like the HT-5 , definatly not digital sounding during the summers I have it parked beside the 50w tube laney and play both it does sound tube, would have love to try the Laney. I do love me a nice tube laney
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Last edited by gerrywm at Apr 3, 2011,
then im taking your word for it.

as for its versatility?

from John Mayer to slipknot, you think it can handle it?

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Sorry in advance for asking a question within your thread Distortion_101

Sort of on topic, as it is to do with HT-5s and I'm interested in the HT too and I was watching this thread to see what people said.

I was just wondering, does anyone know which HT you'd need in order to be comfortably heard over a drummer? Or does the HT-5 have a cab output that you could use as a head? If so, would it have the same sound quality as a bigger HT, as long as you hooked it up the appropriate Cab?

I guess this is sort of useful to the OP, as if he starts with a band, he doesnt have to fork out for a new amp if he's got an HT-5 and only needs to get a cab, which can be used with other stuff.
i dont mind the jack, cause its a 1 time question. its not gonna start a debate and hence go off topic

and yeah, might start a band soon.

judging by what i read in the manual, it seems you can. but lets get a proper opinion!

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
I'm not reading all this because I'm lazy, but for overall versatility and quality of sound:

Cub 12 + decent distortion pedal >>>>> HT5 and whatever you might plug into it
Being a big Laney fan the cub is probably a class act, im not saying one of the other just saying what I like about the HT5

I might be worng but with a cab you still have 5watt going in, the cab will give you more head room and fuller sound not volume. I havent tried it practicing with a kit yet its left in the bedroom. It has never gone beyond 3vol, it seems very loud in a room probably not enough though, Has any one else tried to play over a drum kit with one? If you want a head that can switch wattage get the Orange (tiny i think)

On the versitility, i dont play slipknot but theres distortion to boot and if you how to fiddle the eq and the isf im pretty sure if your pick ups are suited you'd get there.
I mostly play blues these days (Gallagher, Green, Guy and Hendrix) I play on the distortion channel and clean up with the vol on the guitar, you get a nicer warmer clean tone I find that way lovely for RHCPish clean stuff aswel so should suit mayer stuff with some tweeking.

I bought the Laney without trying it over the net (it was a return on Music store) I got pretty lucky as I love it, I could see it going horribly wrong too as taste in amps is so subjective. There is no substitute for trying the amp but that aint always possible. I cant see you going too wrong with the HT-5 though

Good luck with it, let me know either way as I have always been curious about that little laney cub
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
I was quite disappointed with the Cub 12 I played. I really like the cleans but the drive sounded too fizzy to me, although that could easily of been bad tubes, or just a lemon. The ht-5 is just bland sounding. I'd still take the laney cub 12 with it's cleans, better speakers, and features over the ht-5, as you could always chuck a ds pedal in front.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
i have been watching vids of DS pedals in front of the cub.

seems good, and doesnt sound as digital. I have also read in a few other threads ond other forums that its not just me that feel the HT5 sounds a little digital.

I think i will go with the cub. keep it on 1W input and run a pedal through it. And if i gig, 15W will be much better than 5w to use as a head!!!

only bad thing is no headphones... at least with a DS pedal i can plat heavier stuff at a lower volume

thanks guys!!!

gonna try flog off my cube and get a Cub!!!

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Last edited by Distortion_101 at Apr 4, 2011,
I own a cub 12, and for cleans and crunch I think it is much better than the HT5 (which I considered). Much warmer, and less sterile. however even with a bad monkey boosting it, it won't get heavier than classic rock (Led Zep, Status Quo etc.) to get Slipknot, you'd definately need a decent dist. whereas the HT5 can probably get close on it's own. I love my cub, but I don't know how people can say it's more or even equally versatile as a HT5, because it's not.
Gear

Ibanez RG321mh
GND Strat
Laney Cub 12
Crybaby GCB-95
Boss TU-2
Digitech Bad Monkey
Marshall BB-2
EHX Little Big Muff
Joyo Ultimate Drive
SHO Clone
Boss DD-7
Boss DD-20
Boss CH-1
Daphone Volume Pedal
If your amp is too loud for your bedroom, why not get a power attenuator?

Ben.
Fudoshin.

XxX-Ben-xXx
Quote by HaloDestroyer
If your amp is too loud for your bedroom, why not get a power attenuator?

Ben.

If he was to get an attenuator he might as well get a 20 or 30W combo
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Quote by gerrywm
If he was to get an attenuator he might as well get a 20 or 30W combo

Well not really, he could still use the amp for gigs with an attenuator, especially in situations where 30W just wouldn't cut it.

Ben.
Fudoshin.

XxX-Ben-xXx
Old thread, I know, it'll probably not help the OP, but it might help other people.

I think a fairer comparison is the Laney LC15 VS Blackstar HT-5, even though the Laney is 15W and the Blackstar 5W.

I had the Blackstar and now I have the Laney.

Clean sound:

Blackstar - Good cleans, but it doesn't break up, it's like the clean sound of a Marshall MG, solid state, one-dimensional and boring.

Laney - Great warm cleans up to 3, on 4 it starts to break up a bit.

Overdrive sound:

B - Frustrating for anything other than metal, with the gain set on minimum, it's already too overdriven, you can never get that nice classic rock and blues sound where you play a full chord and get that nice note separation, it's just noise. For modern metal it's amazing, it does a great job without the need of pedals.

L - You can't get modern metal sounds without a pedal from this amp, but where the Blackstar fails, this amp succeeds. You can really hear the difference when you turn the knob from 1 to 10, whereas on the Blackstar, it changes a bit up to 5, then from 5 to 10 it sounds pretty much the same.

EQ:

B - Strangely, the eq on this amp doesn't seem to do much, especially the middle, the difference from minimum to maximum is not very noticeable.

L - While probably not the best eq in the world, at least I feel I'm changing the sound when I change the settings.

Tone:

B - ISF on this amp, but it kinda works like a tone knob. Well, I hated this on the amp, US side was bright and ear piercing and the UK side muddy. I usually set it in the middle where it wasn't too bad. I think this was just a stupid gimmick to make people think they could have two amps in one, well, two crap amps in one more like it. Next time, give us one good amp instead people at Blackstar.

L - Great tone control, very surprised how you can go from very bassy jazz to ultra bright country style.

This is from my point of view and taste. It doesn't mean the Blackstar HT-5 is a bad amp. If you play metal and don't care much about other styles of music, get it, it sounds great. If you need versatility, don't.