I'm in the market for a 3 or 4 channel amp that needs to be able to handle everything from clean to high gain. I'm in to a lot of Dream theater, A7X, Alter Bridge, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, etc. I'm open to new, or used with a budget of $1000 max. I live in the Central Florida area. So far I'm considering a B-52 AT100 or ATX, a Bugera Trerec, or a Peavey xxx. I've tried a Carvin V3 and couldn't get a tone I really liked out of it, as well as a bugera 333xl. I've yet to be able to try the ones I'm interested in and am looking for input relating to them as well as other suggestions.

Budget - $1000 absolute max, would prefer less.

Genres - Progressive Rock and Metal, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani,

New or Used - Either

Home or Gig - Both

Closest City - Ocala, Tampa, Orlando, Spring Hill, Fl

Current Gear - Schecter C1+, Ibanez 7321, B-52 st 6012 (I like the tone but the gain is lacking and I would like more control of the 3rd channel.) Also I already have a 2x12 cab with v30s.
Last edited by WuGuitarist at Apr 3, 2011,
Why 3 or 4 channel?

With a budget of only 1k I would suggest something like a used XXX and 2nd hand cab.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
well the TriRec is essentially the same as a Mesa Triple Rec with a better clean channel, if that's your kinda thing
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Quote by Unholy.Daemon
well the TriRec is essentially the same as a Mesa Triple Rec with a better clean channel, if that's your kinda thing

dont get bugera, if you haven't a fire exhaulsirater ( or whatever it's spelled )
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
I forgot to mention that I already have a cab so the budget is strictly for the head. I frequently go from clean to distorted rhythm to lead in one song and need at least 3 different tones 4 would be nice but that just because I'm obsessive.
Quote by Unholy.Daemon

lol
/rig
maybe a powerball?
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250

dont get bugera, if you haven't a fire exhaulsirater ( or whatever it's spelled )

pretty old and lame answer refering to bugera amps. you won´t have these faults buying a new one. i´ve got mine for 1year or so. and still have absolutely no problems using it every day.
Quote by WuGuitarist
I forgot to mention that I already have a cab so the budget is strictly for the head. I frequently go from clean to distorted rhythm to lead in one song and need at least 3 different tones 4 would be nice but that just because I'm obsessive.

Easy:

You get a 2 channel amp and an overdrive pedal to boost your solos.
Quote by Tunder250

Listen to this man, he clearly knows what he's talking about, obviously he has blown plenty of bugeras, and has tried all of the new ones after the first design flaw.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Tunder250

Used Peavey JSX heads pop up in your price range all the time, same goes with the XXX. I'd prefer the JSX out of the two, but they're both good amps.

The Trirec isn't out yet as far as I know, so you'd have to wait at least a month for that one. They do seem pretty good for the price, but buying used will get you a lot more bang for your buck.
mesa mark III head on ebay and use your current cab.
/thread
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by Tango616
Listen to this man, he clearly knows what he's talking about, obviously he has blown plenty of bugeras, and has tried all of the new ones after the first design flaw.

i hope that was [/sarcasm]

never tried any, never will xD

never bought a amp ( apart from my starter amp )

EDIT: Tango, thanks for my sig
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Last edited by Tunder250 at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by Tunder250

no, it was obviously not sarcasm as that post was meant to be totally serious and not kidding in any way, shape or form.

And while a good troll attempt earlier, the whole bugera=expensive cigarette lighter joke is beginning to get old. They work fine now, well as fine as any other major amp producer that outsources their stuff to chinese sweat shops
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
chineese!!!!!

you can buy a good 4 channel amp made in AMERICA for 1000 USD ( when you look hard enough )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
chineese!!!!!

you can buy a good 4 channel amp made in AMERICA for 1000 USD ( when you look hard enough )

not really.... i don't know of any cheap MIA 4 channel amps... 3 channel sure, you have the peaveys, mark IIIs, v3s, and a few more, but im blanking now. And because he doesn't like the v3s but likes DT I suggested the Mark. So, i fail to see how your comment was useful
chineese amps are not that reliable as the american ones

and used can do a lot

i think you can get a nice ENGL powerball 2 for it ( 4 channels )
but i don't know sure, cuz i don't live in america
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250

EDIT: Tango, thanks for my sig

How can you make such a bold statement if you have never even tried one let alone owned one you utter sandwich?!

/rant

OT: A used JSX is right up your alley TS. Give it a try.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Blick71
mesa mark III head on ebay and use your current cab.
/thread

Listen to this guy..
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by Adam124
How can you make such a bold statement if you have never even tried one let alone owned one you utter sandwich?!

cuz im special?

nah, i dont trust them, they were bad in the past, they are still not good in the future

ruined once for me, ruined forever

( friends of me lost his bugera cuz it was too bad )
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
chineese amps are not that reliable as the american ones

and used can do a lot

i think you can get a nice ENGL powerball 2 for it ( 4 channels )
but i don't know sure, cuz i don't live in america

Like you guys are screwed over on mesa prices, we are double screwed on ENGL/Diezel prices.

Finding an ENGL (other than the 530 preamp and gigmaster) for under a grand is a miracle in and of itself.

and adam, thank you for validating my position.

I still stand by the mark III though
??
there is a fireball head on here ( with a xxx halfstack for 1k ) for 680 euro... that's under 1000$

so bad prices here, good prices there xD
just know where to search
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
cuz im special?

nah, i dont trust them, they were bad in the past, they are still not good in the future

ruined once for me, ruined forever

( friends of me lost his bugera cuz it was too bad )

So they were bad in the past, and you never owning one, so therefor they must not be good now? Wow, great logic

They are fine now, if you're honestly dumb enough to base a whole opinion of a brand off of something they did in the past, you shouldn't be doing basically anything in life, seeing as at one point, it was bad in the start.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Good shout on the Mesa, I forgot you could pick them up for cheap in the states.

also look out for a 2 channel rec and then get a nice boost pedal.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tunder250
?? there is a fireball head on here ( with a xxx halfstack for 1k ) for 680 euro... that's under 1000$

and lets see...after about 100+ dollars in shipping a 50 lb item overseas...
and after conversion 680 euro is about 975 give or take 50 dollars. And im lowballing the shipping
Quote by Tom 1.0
Good shout on the Mesa, I forgot you could pick them up for cheap in the states.

also a very valid suggestion.
Quote by Blick71
and lets see...after about 100+ dollars in shipping a 50 lb item overseas...
and after conversion 680 euro is about 975 give or take 50 dollars. And im lowballing the shipping

i was referring to the prices

when i think here a fb is 680 here, it is around 600 $ there..
Quote by RetroGunslinger

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Framus FR212 v30
Since you already have a cab, you could look on ebay/cl for a 3 channel dual recto, you could probably find one for like $850-900 with patience
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
but i live within 100 miles of him. Listen to me. Im not lying to you on here. I'm telling you what the conversion rate is as of 2 minutes ago. And what is on Ebay as of 1 minute ago. I see a thunder 50 for 700, but IMO, grabbing a 2-channel recto or mark III would better suit him
Quote by Tom 1.0

THIS

IN EVERY SINGLE WAY THIS

i would never buy new in the US when you can get amps for so cheap used, look out for 2 Channel Rectos and Mark IIIs or IVs
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.