My band has an hour gig next weekend and we're wondering about how many songs we'll need. We have about twelve ready. Should we add some or will we need to end early. An suggestions? Thanks in advance
My Gear:
Taylor 410CE
Fender Highway One Strat HSS
Egnater Rebel 112X
Egnater Rebel 20
Digitech RP350
PIRATES!!!

Quote by VolumeControl
I once hypnotized my pet rock,. He just sat there...hypnotized out of his mind.
Why do you need our input? We don't know how long your songs are. Time your set including interludes, talking etc. That'll let you know if you need more material.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
It depends on how long your songs you play are.

Have you tried playing through your set together and timing yourselves?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shinhoman
It depends on how long your songs you play are.

Have you tried playing through your set together and timing yourselves?

x

this. pointless thread is pointless; we're not going to add up your song's lengths for you or something
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Usually it's about 12. But the others are right, you should know how long your set is by now, especially considering you have a gig this weekend.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I could do like 20 songs in an hour, I could also do 10 depends on the songs.

get your band, play through each of your songs and write down the length of each.make a set list
no sir away a papaya war is on
General rule of thumb to figure out the rough length of a set is to call each song 5 minutes long. This average is figured out by considering that while some songs are longer than 5 minutes, in the average band most songs are under 5 minutes (usualy about 3-4 minutes long) and allowing for a space between songs for stage banter.

Of course, it all depends on the music you do, some bands may do a set full of 8 minute epics, so should adjust accordingly when figuring out an average set time, but in general, for most bands, the 5 minute per song rule of thumb works pretty well. So, an hours worth of material should work out at about 12 songs, but it's always worth having a few extra songs prepared just in case a) your songs turn out to be shorter than average, b) there is no stage banter and c) in the event of an encore causing you to go over the 1 hour limit.

It's always better to have too many songs for any performance than not enough.
okay heres a great experiment listen to the first disk of Ayreons human equation then listen to linkin parks hybrid theory, both in their entirety, no skipping.... now there are about the same number of songs on both of these cds... however you will find that you wased about 35 minutes* on linkin park and about an hour and 15 minutes* on ayreon.... do you get the point or do i need to explain it further?

*estimated times because I don't feel like doing all the math, or taking the time to listen to them.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
SlackerBabbath Thanx for giving a real reply. Twelve songs is generally a good place to start if you are playing covers that have been played on the radio. It would have been a little more helpful if the original question were a little more specific.
Quote by mikelemay
SlackerBabbath Thanx for giving a real reply. Twelve songs is generally a good place to start if you are playing covers that have been played on the radio. It would have been a little more helpful if the original question were a little more specific.

He probably got it figured out at some point in the last five years.

And, in defense of all the other replies in this ancient thread, the question was completely asinine, and warranted the sarcastic and mocking answers.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
AM Radio hits? Maybe 15. Grateful Dead? Just one song.

It depends...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 17, 2016,
Quote by the_bi99man
He probably got it figured out at some point in the last five years.

If I had to guess, I would say he couldn't figure it out and had to cancel the gig. He went to the bar instead and on the way home was abducted by aliens and has since taken a job as Dennis Rodman's accountant. While he is not suited for the job, Dennis doesn't realize it nor would he eve care. So yeah. All things considered, not bad.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.