Page 1 of 2
So, if you're like me, you'll love that last chorus phenomenon known as the key change. There's nothing like an expertly executed upward shift to make a song sound epic. I also like the mini shifts that sometimes occur within the body of a song, although humourously the only example coming to mind is Shania Twain: That Don't Impress Me Much... "Oooo-ooooh, you think you're special..."

Favourite key changes?
Beast & The Harlot
Quote by BladeSlinger
Oh God I lol'ed

Quote by Ēzio

Would you like to see my Soundcloud?
I love Padgea7x
Constant Motion. Any Dream Theater Song with a key change...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Get Away by my brother's old band.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Ha, my band uses key changes in the last chorus all the time. Usually a half step up or a full step.
Quote by Vacuity
the end of the youth by mgmt

Didn't think of this one. This.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Kumanji
Just no. It's the last refuge of the terminally uninventive.

yep, all those jazz players who make use of key changes are just terrible.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by (sic)duckmaggot
This x10

I usually hate key changes. Nothing has ever sounded more unnecessary than "*key change* whoooooah we're halfway there..."
Quote by Kumanji
Just no. It's the last refuge of the terminally uninventive.

It really is getting old. I wouldn't mind some more creative ones but the last chorus a step up is so overused.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Waterboy799
yep, all those jazz players who make use of key changes are just terrible.

Ah, that's different That was inventive, playing the SAME CHORUS again slightly higher and expecting everyone to love you for it is just painful.
Quote by Kumanji
Ah, that's different That was inventive, playing the SAME CHORUS again slightly higher and expecting everyone to love you for it is just painful.

Shut up man, I play pop punk
Beast & The Harlot was a good keychange. I felt it helped build the song. Dying In Your Arms by Trivium was another good keychange IMO
I really can't think of a good Rock song that has a noticeable, well placed key change.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Zoot Allures
Tbh, key changes suck in general. Most songs need fewer chords used too, i'm sick of all these people using fancy chords and playing above the 3rd fret. 1 chord is fine, 2 is pushing it and 3 is jazz.

I'm A Man by Muddy Waters is the most musically complete song ever written.
I don't like those halfstep key changes....the one's I tend to enjoy are the one's that shift to the relative minor/major and parallel major/minor.....half step is boring unless used in a crhomatic ascension of some sorts
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I like hair metal and Westlife, two things that 99.99% of the Pit would rather die than like, but they're great for key changes, I can't get enough of them
Quote by Nickpocalypse
Woooooo-ooooa; Livin' on a Praaaayer!

Godammit I had another song in mind but now all I can hear is this
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Tbh, key changes suck in general. Most songs need fewer chords used too, i'm sick of all these people using fancy chords and playing above the 3rd fret. 1 chord is fine, 2 is pushing it and 3 is jazz.

Quote by Fivebretz
I like hair metal and Westlife

Legend
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Quote by Fivebretz
So, if you're like me, you'll love that last chorus phenomenon known as the key change. There's nothing like an expertly executed upward shift to make a song sound epic. I also like the mini shifts that sometimes occur within the body of a song, although humourously the only example coming to mind is Shania Twain: That Don't Impress Me Much... "Oooo-ooooh, you think you're special..."

Favourite key changes?

Yes I like that part too. I am also a big fan of changing the key for the second verse, like in The Show Must Go On by Queen. Simply superb.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Zoot Allures
Truth ;D

edit: although it was originally by Bo Diddley :O

You're entirely right, though it was inspired by Hoochie Coochie Man, written by Muddy the previous year.

Basically, they did all of each other's songs.

WITHOUT KEY CHANGES.
Quote by Kumanji
You're entirely right, though it was inspired by Hoochie Coochie Man, written by Muddy the previous year.

Basically, they did all of each other's songs.

WITHOUT KEY CHANGES.

Mhmm, sounds very similar to 'mannish boy' too. When you have a good riff you don't need any fancy key changes >_>

Quote by Kumanji

yea i see your point

just to add to this thread, the Limelight solo by Rush is my favorite key change. The song is in E Major (i believe) and they switch to E flat minor just for the solo section giving the solo this really moody/eerie sound.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Apr 3, 2011,
Bliss by Muse. Parallel shifts FTW.

Also, a shift to the scale of a fourth tone in Paul McCartney's No More Lonely Nights featuring David Gilmour. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmGqwTYPDDA

And then lots of Gayngs songs, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLMeNzcWljM&feature=related, Faded High - it shifts to the parallel key, then to the relative minor of that key.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Page 1 of 2