Page 1 of 2
hey guys, im still young, about to do my gcse's and for A levels at college im taking:

Maths
Business
Music Tech (Music Production basically)
Music performance (performance diploma)

and im certain i would like to go into the music industry when im older as i want to do something i would enjoy in life rather than something im not, so i was thinking.. a performer? everyones dream, hard route. music producer? i would enjoy that, however if your not P diddy or dr dre you can be earning as little as 25k a year, and i can tell im going to be one of those family men, i believe i would struggle if i was bringing up a family with 25k a year, so i was thinking what would be a reliable route to take? is it worth going to uni, what degree should i get? where can i get with those a levels?

i would be very grateful for your input..

please no irrelevant anwsers, be much appreciated as i would like serious advice
Maybe it's because I'm from a lone parent family and live in a council estate, but 25k a year sounds good to me.

EDIT: Do maths.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Right, straight off the bat, don't do music or business at a degree level. They lead nowhere, and you'll be graduating into the last five years of people all looking for the same job.

Go with maths if you can handle it: always in demand, as it's an incredibly rigorous subject, and will help with music. The way music is processed post-recording relies on maths (and computing, but with those a-levels, you won't get comp sci or engineering), with things like Fourier transforms.

Plus, if you decide that music isn't your life, you have a good fall back career of pretty much anything. Not as wide a range as an Engineering/Physics degree, but still pretty damn good.
Trained physicist occasionally enslaved by engineers.
My friends went to get there music mixed by some university students who were doing music and it was much worse than my friend who's been doing it in his bedroom since he was a teenager.

If your doing maths then I assume your pretty clever and I would recommend other subjects other than music and maybe do it at a night school or in your spare time.
Music production is no where near as glamorous as it sounds....... Try doing your A levels then take a gap year and in the gap year take a course in a recording studio or something, then go onto maths or something at uni! Thats what I did and its been good. So I get to do production etc and then in a few months Im going to uni.
Protip: Don't do A levels, do a vocational course.

I did a BTEC nation Diploma in Music Practice, learn't loads from preforming techniques, to music theory to how the industry actually works.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Protip: Do A levels. It'll make the rest of your life a lot easier. If you want to go to uni and have A levels it's a lot easier. If you want to go and don't its a lot lot harder. A levels give you options. Lets put it this way: you won't regret it if you do do them.
Protip: Vocational course will get you a job if you travel back in time to before the economy fell over. Now, do A-Levels, a degree (preferably with relevant placement year) and hopefully in 6 years everything will be a bit more stable

Edit: Ninja'd.
Quote by no lolage
Protip: Do A levels. It'll make the rest of your life a lot easier. If you want to go to uni and have A levels it's a lot easier. If you want to go and don't its a lot lot harder. A levels give you options. Lets put it this way: you won't regret it if you do do them.

Depends.

One of the guys on my course got a non-conditional placement at BIMM simply by turning up on an opening day and because he was doing a vocation course in music practice. While most average uni's will take A levels over VCs, actual music colleges, uni's , institutes etc recognise the value of a VC. If you have two VCs (that's 4 years work) will get you into a good university anyway provided your grades are good.
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
First of all, Uni's free over there right? There should be no question, go.

And secondly, I think your wage would vary a lot if you're starting up your own business, but it'll depend on how serious you are about your music and the effort you put into it.
Last edited by ikitson at Apr 3, 2011,
I'm in exactly the same position and thinking of taking:
Music tech
Maths
Physics
History

It's probably best to do A-levels and do the music ones if you really like them because there's no point in going to college to do a subject you hate. It's a good idea to take maths or something like that as well (if you're getting atleast a B at GCSE, or you won't be able to keep up) because you'll have that to fall back on if, (hopefully not) there is nothing for you in the music industry. It'd also help if you try and do a work experience in a studio to get experience in what it's like and how to learn to record, (this is what I did last year for my work experience). Once you've worked in the enviornment of what you want to do you get more of an idea if you want to do it or not.
Also don't take business, it's not really a great subject for A-level and you can learn business skills by working in a company rather than wasting an A-level in it.
Protip: Go vocational and don't even bother with uni unless your parents are divorced, self employed or stupidly rich.

Music performance to me sounds like a daft option, why do you need a qualification to say you can play an instrument? Switch that for something like physics.

Quote by ikitson
First of all, Uni's free over there right? There should be no question, go.

And secondly, I think your wage would vary a lot if you're starting up your own business, but it'll depend on how serious you are about your music and the effort you put into it.

Only sort of. It's actually £9000 a year (just increased from £3000 per year) - but the government pays your tuition fees and you don't need to pay them back until you're earning £15k per year (don't know if that amount has changed with the price increase). There are ways to dodge paying it back at all.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last edited by JamieB at Apr 3, 2011,
25K a year isn't that bad for raising a family if you're good with money.

Do maths, it can lead into so many different careers you'd be a fool to not take it if you can handle the ability level.

Quote by JamieB
Protip: Go vocational and don't even bother with uni unless your parents are divorced, self employed or stupidly rich.

Music performance to me sounds like a daft option, why do you need a qualification to say you can play an instrument? Switch that for something like physics.

Only sort of. It's actually £9000 a year (just increased from £3000 per year) - but the government pays your tuition fees and you don't need to pay them back until you're earning £15k per year (don't know if that amount has changed with the price increase). There are ways to dodge paying it back at all.

Awesome subject

Also, i think the payback threshold has gone up to 21k a year.
Last edited by SG_dave at Apr 3, 2011,
If you want to make a living from music, you have to take as many routes as you can. You are going to be your own company. A company that offers multiple services (and do them well) will generate much more revenue than a company that only offers one or two.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
well maths is my best subject and what im good at.. uni i would have to pay for in the future but i never know it might be worth it, what is vocational? what does it do? thanks for the useful feedback guys.. but im not sure what route to go down in uni with maths, theres millions of options and wouldnt know where to start
You've got to love what you're doing, otherwise, why try?

Even though I really am getting no where with it, I still love playing guitar.

But if I had all the answers, I'd be a published man recording and playing what I've recorded live in order to turn a buck.
Last edited by treborillusion at Apr 3, 2011,
Maths is f***ing solid, I got 95% in my GCSE maths test and I'm struggling as are a lot of my maths class who are all A*/top A. In short you have to be excellent at maths, from my friends i gather that buisness and music tech are pretty piss easy, no idea about performance though.
BTW Im doing AS at the moment
Quote by pwrmax
You win this thread. You get a cookie, except there's no cookie smiley so here's a llama

Very proud owner of (1) lolstack(s)
Quote by Stugg334

Quote by Retro_jetro
Maths is f***ing solid, I got 95% in my GCSE maths test and I'm struggling as are a lot of my maths class who are all A*/top A. In short you have to be excellent at maths, from my friends i gather that buisness and music tech are pretty piss easy, no idea about performance though.

It isn't that hard if you put the effort in.
I was an A* student at GCSE and I never tried. At A level I understood the Maths but could never get the right answer due to lazy technique. This yearI've settled down and am looking at an A overall.

Same goes for someone i know who left last year, she is bright but not the best mathematician ever. But she spent that long going overall the seperate topics she got an A* overall with minimal resits.

Quote by TheShizzNizz
well maths is my best subject and what im good at.. uni i would have to pay for in the future but i never know it might be worth it, what is vocational? what does it do? thanks for the useful feedback guys.. but im not sure what route to go down in uni with maths, theres millions of options and wouldnt know where to start

Generally a straight maths degree is what you'll want, from a prestigious uni.
If you can get in at Durham go for it, they're seen as possibly the best maths uni in the UK.
Last edited by SG_dave at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by treborillusion
You've got to love what you're doing, otherwise, why try?

This, 100% this.

I am in a similar position to you TS, I take Chemistry, Biology, English Lit and Music at A-Level and have been looking at both Science based and Music based degree's.

I think that had the economy not collapsed, then I would have without hesitation gone with music, because it's what I love. But with money being so tight and businesses not going anywhere in this economic climate I am in two minds and the last thing I want is to have no career prospects after uni. The other option for me is Chemistry/Biochemistry and that would lead to a greater chance at a well paying job after education but it's not really what I love.

What I plan to do is go to a load of open days/ private tours of universities for Music and Science based courses and talk to subject and admissions tutor and learn about their course and what they offer in industry links and career prospects. That way I'll get an honest opinion from that universities perspective and I'll be able to make a better decision.

Don't worry about time too much though, since we have the whole summer to think about it before we have to start thinking about UCAS applications.

EDIT:

Quote by SG_dave

Same goes for someone i know who left last year, she is bright but not the best mathematician ever. But she spent that long going overall the seperate topics she got an A* overall with minimal resits.

Thing is though, universities ignore resits now and we have to 'cash in' our UCAS points at the end of the year meaning that whatever you get in your first year sticks.
Last edited by AdamG313 at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by Ben506
The way music is processed post-recording relies on maths (and computing, but with those a-levels, you won't get comp sci or engineering), with things like Fourier transforms.

Actually that's a lie. You can easily get into a damn good comp sci course with no relevant A levels and if you have a good maths grade that just opens more avenues. It helps if you have programming experience but I'm starting a comp sci degree next academic year and I've got neither.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Retro_jetro

I got a B at GCSE, but managed to get a C at AS, and I'm on for B, possible A, overall. It's not that hard if you put some effort in.

But on topic, don't take business studies, biggest waste of two years of my life. The course consists of one test and 5 courseworks (in my sixth form anyway), all of which can be done successfuly without evening learning anything to do with business, it's mainly common sense. I honestly don't think I've learnt anything more about business than what I already knew going into sixth form in the first place.

Maths is a good subject to take and can get you far in life, but some people can find it challenging, so unless you're fairly decent at it and want to actually do it, then don't bother. But if you are, then go right ahead, with a C/B or higher grade, you'll be able to walk into most uni's easily.

Music lesson wise, I'm currently doing the BTEC national diploma level 3 (equivilant to an A-level). There's a bit of everything in it, from performing and event managing (the good parts), to world music (the bad part). It's fun to do and is better than doing a lesson that I will hate, but I don't think a qualification in it will get me very far in life.

L.F.C
Quote by tubatom868686
One time I sneezed and pooped in my pants at someones house. It fell down my pantleg onto the floor. I blamed it on the dog. They believed me
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Actually that's a lie. You can easily get into a damn good comp sci course with no relevant A levels and if you have a good maths grade that just opens more avenues. It helps if you have programming experience but I'm starting a comp sci degree next academic year and I've got neither.

That was just coming from the guys I know who did a comp sci degree. Could be different now, as that was four years ago. Programming experience is great to have though.

Thinking back, at A-level, there was IT and that was about it. Nothing really in-depth, so they can't expect you to really have that much experience before you start.

Good luck with the degree, it can lead to some pretty interesting places from what I've seen.
Courses to get into careers like music and theatre are worthless. You need to slug it out like the rest and build relationships with as many people as you can so they might let you help out and get your name out there. Go for a career in music by all means, but have a fallback plan. I'm currently training to be an Operating Department Practicioner, but i'm also working on getting my band going and making money off that. If that don't work? I'm a qualified professional in a career that is dying for the staff.
Quote by Retro_jetro

Not really. I got an A in my GCSE (would probably have been an A* but I didn't do the second coursework) - I finished with a B in my A-Levels but only because of one bad module; I got AAAABU (don't know wtf happened at the end).

If you enjoy/are good at maths it won't be an issue.

if you're going to make it in music you're going to do it on your own, school will get you nowhere

if you wanna produce then learn by yourself and start recording some bands, or do an apprenticeship
I personally think sound engineering (producer, w/e) is a great course to do, I got my diploma in Sound Engineering, Major in recording and minor in live sound engineering.

You learn so much and you just keep learning and learning, but it is hard, granted.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
hey guys, im good at maths i enjoy do it, and i know im definately going to do it for A level, after a long hard thing i have realised music is a hard industry to do well in, anyone know what sort of degree i should go for if im doing maths a level?

thanks
Dont' do maths if you want a Job, do engineering/Physics. Most jobs (except finance) that allow for maths degrees are in engineering, and then the jobs just get taken by engineerings since (you've guessed it) mathematicians aren't good enough at engineering!!!!
Thats just my personal experience anyways.
can i do a physics/engineering course with a level? im not great at physics at gcse im only getting a B so havent decided to take it up for a level, is engineering a good route to go down? some sort of one to do with maths? is it good pay?
Protip: If you can do the International Baccalaureate. Looks amazing on CV and for Uni's.
Quote by TheShizzNizz
can i do a physics/engineering course with a level? im not great at physics at gcse im only getting a B so havent decided to take it up for a level, is engineering a good route to go down? some sort of one to do with maths? is it good pay?

Not necessarily good pay, just actual interesting jobs that will use what you've learnt at degree, like Jobs working in nuclear power station and stuff. I wish I kind wish i'd done Engineering instead of maths, something like Mech. Eng...im not sure which ones are more mathys but things like Electronical engineering will probs need a physics A-level. Don't quote me on this though, look at uni websites innit.
Last edited by Mask_of_Terror at Apr 4, 2011,
Quote by Mask_of_Terror
Not necessarily good pay, just actual interesting jobs that will use what you've learnt at degree, like Jobs working in nuclear power station and stuff. I wish I kind wish i'd done Engineering instead of maths, something like Mech. Eng...im not sure which ones are more mathys but things like Electronical engineering will probs need a physics A-level. Don't quote me on this though, look at uni websites innit.

init
Quote by Mask_of_Terror

I started Mechanical Engineering and wish I'd done maths -_-.

For engineering degrees you will usually need "maths and/or physics" or "a relevant discipline" (I think that may include D&T and similar).

To be fair, i'm only hating on Maths because i've spent the past month battling to get my dissertation done and not being able to find a job (due to that fact no one cares about mathematicians) :/
Do maths (or business) to get a good, stable job.
Then do any music study as a part-time study (if possible).
That way you can have it both ways, if over a slightly longer time.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Do maths (or business) to get a good, stable job.
Then do any music study as a part-time study (if possible).
That way you can have it both ways, if over a slightly longer time.

i might just do that..

im thinking of swapping music performance for government and politics..
Quote by AdamG313
:

Thing is though, universities ignore resits now and we have to 'cash in' our UCAS points at the end of the year meaning that whatever you get in your first year sticks.

Yeah, that's kicking in aafter this year i think. The government system says that only one resit can be taken and that over half of the course must be tested in a final exam.
Quote by SG_dave
Yeah, that's kicking in aafter this year i think. The government system says that only one resit can be taken and that over half of the course must be tested in a final exam.

Nope, definitely this year.

It affects the current year 12's and the only resit you can do is of exams sat in January and the resits take place in May with the second Modules.
Page 1 of 2