So my bassist prefers to DI his bass tracks on recordings, which is perfectly fine by me.

In our next recording sessions he will be using a Boss ME50B for effects and whatnot.

What would be the best way of recording this??

My guess would be:

Bass > ME50 > DI box > mixer

Would this work fine???
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
I don't think so. Can't seeing him being interested in that lot.

Think he's mainly/only gonna be using abit of drive/fuzz/distortion, maybe some wah and definitely bass synth haha
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

I think so...
Quote by MickAlmighty
I don't think so. Can't seeing him being interested in that lot.

Think he's mainly/only gonna be using abit of drive/fuzz/distortion, maybe some wah and definitely bass synth haha

The deffo ME before DI.
That's alright then.

I know what I'm doing with everything else, just this ONE LITTLE THING has been bugging me haha
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
I'd record it dry try effects not on the pedal. Then loop it back through effects back into box if I don't like any effects on computer.

If you are 100% sure you want the effects on pedal then pedal before box
Yeah he's sure he wants the effects from the pedal
Quote by Spaztikko

I think so...
Quote by FireHawk
I'd record it dry try effects not on the pedal. Then loop it back through effects back into box if I don't like any effects on computer.

If you are 100% sure you want the effects on pedal then pedal before box

I agree, as an engineer I'd do everything I could to avoid that Boss multi-fx's pisstortion distortion reaching the recording stage of my set-up Then agin, I'd also record the cab as well, probably with a D112 or an MD421 on it, and the DI before the amp.

If it's his sound though (and he actually has a good ear for tone, rare amongst performing musicians ) then I guess it's up to him!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Correct me if I'm wrong on this but wouldn't something like a multi effects unit act similar to a DI? I'm always a fan of "If I don't need it in my signal chain, don't use it"
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Correct me if I'm wrong on this but wouldn't something like a multi effects unit act similar to a DI? I'm always a fan of "If I don't need it in my signal chain, don't use it"

He is using at a pre-amp/FX Host before the DI-Box so he can add effects before recording.

If he just plans on distorting though I would record dry and run a wave-shaper (there is plenty of quality free wave-shapers out there) on the bass. DI Bass + Wave-Shaper = love for me.

With that said I mainly record industrial music anymore and the bass is always distorted and I may use more than the normal person may like

EDIT:Of course if its in a real studio they prob have better ways of distorting than a wave-shaper.
Last edited by FireHawk at Apr 4, 2011,
^ on industrial tracks i like using the worst distortion plugin i can find (usually the stock sony acid distortion plugin) it makes it that much nastier.
Quote by lockwolf

As far as I know, most effect units do lower the output impedance just like a DI unit. But DI's also deal with hum problems, so that might be a factor.