Hey, the guitarist in my band has his guitar tuned to Drop C and has a Floyd Rose Locking system on it so he doesn't want to change that and I was wondering if I'd need to tune my 5 string bass to Drop C also or if it could work making song with it just in standard (we play metal and hard rock).
depends if you're going to be using the lower 4 notes than what you normally would and if you wouldn't mind losing the top two notes... if you're still playing notes that would normally work, then it won't matter.
Well you've got as low as a B on the lowest string, perhaps tune the whole thing a half step up, to avoid all confusion?
We play stuff like ATR so would I have to just fret a C on the low B when he's off with the triplets and such on his C or what?
Just be aware of the different tunings, and write your songs with it in mind; everything should be fine.

Quote by Dio10101
Well you've got as low as a B on the lowest string, perhaps tune the whole thing a half step up, to avoid all confusion?

This would still be the equivalent of a standard tuning, though. He would get that same note as his lowest note, but the other strings would have different notes for their lowest. Not that it's a huge deal, but even a half-competent musician should be able to deal with it either way.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Last edited by SOADrox429 at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by Dio10101

John Myung does this... lazy... It does work though.

GCGFA is a good five string tuning for C, you probably won't be able to set it up between that tuning and Standard with the same set of strings though.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Bobfred75
So GCGFA would be better for it than just CGCFA?

To get the proper notes for CGCFA, you would have to tune up by too much. You'd need pretty thin strings to avoid placing too much tension on the neck.
Get thicker strings and tune to GCGFA if you want to do that.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Sorry, I meant to say GCGCF. I'm sleepy... It's just Drop C, with a low G.

If you wanted to tune the low up to a C, I would go CGCFBb, but you'll need some light strings to tune up like that.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by biga29
Sorry, I meant to say GCGCF. I'm sleepy... It's just Drop C, with a low G.

If you wanted to tune the low up to a C, I would go CGCFBb, but you'll need some light strings to tune up like that.

Yeah, I did GCGCF when I was jamming with some guys who played Drop C. In this tuning the lowest string is still able to provide benefits beyond "I only have to tune it up a half step."
Quote by biga29

GCGFA is a good five string tuning for C, you probably won't be able to set it up between that tuning and Standard with the same set of strings though.

This is how Dan Briggs tunes in BTBAM
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
what i always do when i use my 5 and 6 string basses with bands is either just tune the low b up to a c, or tune the whole thing up a semi-tone.
i think this sounds alot nicer than dropping the 5th string to a g, cos it allows you to keep the string tension.
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
Quote by Bloodshed
This is how Dan Briggs tunes in BTBAM

Actually, he tunes it in C# standard with the low G# IIRC.
pinga
I play in a band with drop C tuned guitars. What I do is I just tune the B to C- CEADGC (6 string bass)- so I have minimum scale confusion. It also helps to think outside the box when writing bass parts.

Plus it looks cool to not be playing the exact same thing as the guitars, in the same position