I had some REALLY unfortunate luck right now which pisses me off.

I bought a whole new string set for my thin E string.

I tuned it right, it's all good. Play for 5 minutes and it snaps on a 1/2 step up bend on the 12th fret.
NOT COOL.

Am I able to get a refund? It was brand spanking new.
Has this ever happened to you?
I mean I don't mind dishing out money since these aren't expensive strings, but ffs.

EDIT:
What if the store says its my fault? I can't prove I didn't screw up like some noob. I've tuned my guitar plenty of times before
: )
Last edited by Cjk10000 at Apr 3, 2011,
I mean all that hassle for one string...I mean you could but you'd need to prove it was the string's faulty manufacturing and not your guitar
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
it snapped at the 12 fret or when you bent the 12th?

and buy 13's. you wont break a string for a while.
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Apr 3, 2011,
Doubt they will give you anything but a funny look. Without proving it's a manufacturing problem you wont get anywhere. Best thing if strings keep breaking is either tune it, stretch it, tune it, leave it and then go tune it again and i should be alright. Might even be you bridge or but has a sharp point which cuts through the string.
A lot of stores you can buy single strings, you could always ask if they have any in your gauge etc. Otherwise you can't really get a refund :\ It has happened to me a while ago aswell, I ended up having to use 5 strings, and when I got my high e back, I just couldn't use it for a while > . <
Quote by dann_blood
Proof he's a communist! He finally comes out, the nazi!
They're like 3-5$ for a pack; get over it and start playing thicker gauged strings if you plan on actually making much use of your e. It's like you're expecting a plastic tremolo to be able to dive bomb.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
They're like 3-5$ for a pack; get over it and start playing thicker gauged strings if you plan on actually making much use of your e. It's like you're expecting a plastic tremolo to be able to dive bomb.

yeah really. 7 bucks for a set of strings..
cant get much for 7 bucks these days. so thats a bargain.
You just suck.

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Quote by Hail

This is wrong. I've been using 10's for 6-7 years and I've never had any issue like this. I can dive bomb just fine with my FR and have been doing so for a very long time without any issues, so lets throw that ridiculous notion out the window.
Am I entertaining the notion of thicker strings right now though? ofc.

Do they sell individual strings?

I asked this question and the guy said "no you need to buy packs of them", then again they get commission so it could have been a snake-salesman.
Single strings would make my life easier.

What are their ranges? Do you think they sell 70's+? I've been meaning to upgrade from 66's.
: )
Pick up bass instead... been playing for 1 year and I have NEVER had a string break
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
Quote by Cjk10000
This is wrong. I've been using 10's for 6-7 years and I've never had any issue like this. I can dive bomb just fine with my FR and have been doing so for a very long time without any issues, so lets throw that ridiculous notion out the window.
Am I entertaining the notion of thicker strings right now though? ofc.

Do they sell individual strings?

I asked this question and the guy said "no you need to buy packs of them", then again they get commission so it could have been a snake-salesman.
Single strings would make my life easier.

What are their ranges? Do you think they sell 70's+? I've been meaning to upgrade from 66's.

D'Addorio (used or still) sells individual strings, or packs with 2 high e.
And ofc you can divebomb with your FR...

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Quote by ArnaudJ
You just suck.

You're just TROLLOLOLOL'in.

TS; You just have to buy a new string. Also, make sure it's not a problem with your bridge/nut so it doesn't keep happening.
If you bought a pack of Rotosound strings, you would have an extra high E . But, yeah it's like £5 a pack, and like megano28 said, you would have to prove your guitars not causing the string breakage
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Not even worth trying to get your money back on, 9/10 times it's going to be due to bad restringing or a burr at the tuning machines/nut/bridge and not bad manufacturing. Sometimes you just get bad luck though.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
Probably not... just buy a new high E by itself... shiz is like 50 cents.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Learn how to properly string your instrument.

This. odds are depending on where your string sanpped, u tuned it up to high, didnt stretch them, or your bridge might have a sharp point, but thats only if the string is snapping at the bridge. oh and people do sell High E's by themselvs
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
why would they assume it's your fault that the string broke?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I think he makes a good point though - how do you prove a string has an inherent flaw before fitting it? Who actually checks every one of their new strings to make sure they are absolutely perfect? I've had it happen the odd time myself, usually on a G or a B though - but always have a couple of packs as a back-up so never thought of it again.

It's not a case of "every string is perfect" out of the pack. That's like saying nothing bad ever happens ever...

(Particularly if you've tried the gold ones or some nice premium flatwound bass strings - they can be damn pricey for a string)

Anyways, the question is, should strings carry a guarantee and how could it work? Perhaps they should do a points club thing, but instead of hats and rubbish t-shirts you get sent a pack of high E's. Anyone already doing this?
You could always buy Roto strings, they come with an extra high e string, so things like this don't happen.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
It's about $1 per string. I would honestly not do any thing about it, just buy new strings. If you keep on breaking, it's an indication that there's something wrong with your guitar. It was probably just some freak accident, I've broken strings just tuning up once.
no. are you kidding?

too many variables. as the store owner it could be you, your guitar, the way you strung it, or perhaps a lemon string. besides, singles are about a buck, perhaps less.

if i was the store owner i would consider giving you a free single.
Is it a bad string, maybe? But the store is going to assume it is operator error, stretched to far, strung wrong, sharp place on the bridge, whatever. How many people get on this site asking how to string a guitar, or pay people to do it for them.

It is usually the mom and pop places that will carry individual strings. Most companies do not sell them individually. If the place buys the big bulk pack of D'addario strings you can probably talk them into selling you 1.
i bought like a load of daddario single high e strings, every one of them broke within a week, i emailed daddario and bitched, they gave me a few free packs and a terrible planet waves strobe pick tuner. Win.
i can't imagine it being YOUR fault the string broke.

man that just pisses me off.

how the hell could you break a high e? that's pure craziness!!!!!!1!!11!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by beckyjc
i bought like a load of daddario single high e strings, every one of them broke within a week, i emailed daddario and bitched, they gave me a few free packs and a terrible planet waves strobe pick tuner. Win.

you lucked out, it was most likely you axe with that kind of frequency
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I have tons of strings kickin around, My friend over tunded his High E(actually he was over tuning all of them he's new) I just went into my parts bag. I'm just thinking buy a few extra packs or as everyone else says some extra High E strings. Get a 5 dollar tool bag and keep ur guitar stuff in it.
Quote by megano28
you lucked out, it was most likely you axe with that kind of frequency

Nah mate, they kept unwinding at the ball end, nothing to do with my guitar. Infact i switched brands to GHS boomers and it hasnt happened since.

High E as in the thinnest string dude.