Guys I'm studying out of Troy stetinas lead guitar vol 1, and I'm working on a part that's concentrated on rhythmic alternate picking.

For those who don't know it's when you up down pick a passage but when there is a rest or hammer on etc u may not play the note, but u still make the pattern of up down in your picking.

I'm finding this quite hard. And naturally tend not to pick anything on these ghost picks. maybe this is economy picking ? Will this affect my playing not doing this as I can play the licks fine without using this method? Should I continue or wait until I've mastered this?

Thanks fellas
Gear:-
Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony 2011
Blackstar Ht-1r Head and 408 Blackstar Cab

Practicing:-
Trot Stetinas Lead guitar Vol 1 (2nd solo)
Trot Stetinas Rhythm guitar Vol 1 (4th Rhythm)

Plays:-
Anything from Slash to Killswitch Engage!!!

Maintaining the pattern in your right hand helps you stay in time. It's not necessary if your timing is good but it can be helpful, especially if you don't quite lock in otherwise.
I'm finding this quite hard. And naturally tend not to pick anything on these ghost picks. maybe this is economy picking ? Will this affect my playing not doing this as I can play the licks fine without using this method? Should I continue or wait until I've mastered this?

Well, this sort of picking is certainly useful to get together, it's really useful for rhythm guitar!

Obviously, it's up to you - this kind of playing helps you keep tight and groovy when playing fast, but if you aren't seeing benefits you have to decide whether to continue or move on.
Cheers guys.

Yeah i can use it slow but when I speed up it's gets messy and I find it harder to concentrate on picking.

Can I ask how many people actually use his technique?
Gear:-
Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony 2011
Blackstar Ht-1r Head and 408 Blackstar Cab

Practicing:-
Trot Stetinas Lead guitar Vol 1 (2nd solo)
Trot Stetinas Rhythm guitar Vol 1 (4th Rhythm)

Plays:-
Anything from Slash to Killswitch Engage!!!

Quote by Danslash
Cheers guys.

Yeah i can use it slow but when I speed up it's gets messy and I find it harder to concentrate on picking.

Can I ask how many people actually use his technique?

I do but not in lead playing, I use it for rhythms like those in Cowboys From Hell by Pantera, the verse riff really lends itself to these because the actual notes are pretty much all on the off beat so I end up knowing exactly where the downbeat is and most of the notes are played on upstrokes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.