So, lately I've been getting that urge to spend vast amounts of money on basses, so, being a fender fanboy, I have been browsing shops, fender's website and eBay for pretty basses, haha.

I have also been toying with the idea of modding my old MIM P bass as I don't use it anymore, because i can't stand the neck (both the way it looks and the way it plays).
I am fairly new to modding basses, I'm looking to change the neck and pickups, and I'm not quite sure where to start. I've had a look on warmoth for a P or J neck, but don't like the idea of losing the fender stamp on the headstock (purely because I absolutely love the look of the decal).
I am also not really sure what pickups to get if I decide to mod the bass. I play a wide range of things, but mostly rock/pop-punk and metal, so something that gives a dirty, crunchy tone would be great.

So I was hoping to get some input as to whether it would be worth modding the bass, and if so, what parts would be best to pick up.

cheers
My Setup:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass,
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Electro-harmonix Black Finger Compressor.
Just get a new bass.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I would say get a new one, you can get some pretty decent assembly kits if you know where to look. I think you should get one of those and build it before you start modding your old one, because you run quite a risk to destroy a good bass otherwise.
Just google around for example "P Bass Assembly kit and you'll probably find something good. Remember not to get the cheapest sh*t 'cause you're never gonna play it, but also don't buy something too expensive, just in case you f*ck something up.
if you're gonna mod, then slap a seymour duncan quarter pounder in there, great for ballsy rock/punk tone,but if you've got the cash to splash,there's nout like a new bass for putting a smile on your face and a dent in your wallet
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
i could be wrong but doesn't mighty mite sell fender stamped replacement necks?
no sir away a papaya war is on
^ I believe they're licensed by Fender as replacements, but I don't think they're stamped with the logo.

TS if you want something completely different from a bass, buy a new bass. If you're happy with the P in most areas except the neck and pups, mod it. Like Skippy said, Duncan QPs are great replacements and they're not too expensive, and you can get a good neck from Warmoth or MiteyMite, or you can get a used Fender neck on eBay.

What budget are you looking at for upgrades/a new bass?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
The cheapest and most effective upgrade is going to be a set of QPs. I did this on my Pbass clone and was amazed at the improvement. For punk, QPs are a great choice--bright and punchy as hell.
Just curious, What part of the necks feel do you not like? if it's too thick get a J, all p bass necks are going to be thick. Two if your a fender fanboy and you don't like the neck, but you like the decal, what part is it you don't like? do you mean like rosewood vs maple fretboard? other than that, every bass neck save the 50's P looks pretty much the same.
A modification isn't going to change that chunky P-bass neck. If it is the neck that motivates you to keep it in its case, then get rid of it and get something else. If you are looking to just drop a pickup in it, then I would go with the Duncan Quarter Pounder, as already mentioned. You might also want to look at a more substantial bridge.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
cheers for the input guys ^^ the duncan QPs look like a very good option.

as far as budget goes it will be around a few hundred pounds, which from looking around the net seems to be ok for a neck and pup upgrade. (I have a Badass II bridge on the bass already, because the old bridge was in bad shape when i got the bass.)

and askrere, it's an old 90's P bass that I bought off eBay quite a while ago, and the neck wasn't in great shape when i received it, so it doesn't play very well and there is alot of fret buzz, even after a proper set up. and i have also decided that i don't really like rosewood necks on P basses, lol. :P
I didn't mean that I don't like fender necks, I just meant that I don't like this one particular neck, I love both P and J necks.
My Setup:
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Quote by jackers1234
So I was hoping to get some input as to whether it would be worth modding the bass, and if so, what parts would be best to pick up.

Definitely worth modding. You could even try slapping a preamp in there like the East P-Retro. The problem with getting a neck from Warmoth is they will charge you through the nose, it might be a better option to look on eBay, Basschat Marketplace and maybe a few parts shops to find better deals.

As for pickups, I think I am the only one here who doesn't like QPs. Have a look on youtube and compare.

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Just get a new bass.

What a helpful and thoroughly not-stupid reply.
Just saw this on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180647748000&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_851wt_1141

what do you guys think? is it a good deal?

the main problem is that it would be shipping from the US over to the UK.
My Setup:
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
the pic of the back of the headstock says made in mexico, so it should fit perfectly.
My Setup:
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
VM Squier Jazz neck.... sand off the logo... get a Fender water-slide from the bajillion places you can get one online... done, son.

Also... i just moded a P bass this weekend, myself. I play punk-ish stuff. It had an SD quarter Pounder in it, but i didn't like it. So, i picked up a '62 RI Split P (yay sale!!) and it sounds waaaayyyyyyyy better than it did with the SD.

Also, regarding the neck... stop caring about the logo on it, and care more about the feel and playability.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
i will look into the VM squire neck, cheers i think i will have to use youtube and ask around guitar shops to find out what sort of pickup i should get.

and ofcourse i care more i about the playability... as i mentioned in my original post, the only reason i want the logo is because I absolutely love the way it looks on the bass, and it would look a bit empty without it.
I don't want it to say fender so everyone else can see I have one, lol, I want it there because I like having it there
My Setup:
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
Quote by jackers1234

and ofcourse i care more i about the playability... as i mentioned in my original post, the only reason i want the logo is because I absolutely love the way it looks on the bass, and it would look a bit empty without it.
I don't want it to say fender so everyone else can see I have one, lol, I want it there because I like having it there

Ahhhh, right on!

Like i said, just do a google search for 'Fender Waterslide' and you will find quite a few places that make perfect(or close-there-to) reproductions of different year and bass model logos!

Just take your time applying it, and it should turn out beautifully.

Just don't be one of those jerks that tries to sell it later as something it's not!

Haha, i've seen some dudes try to pass off Squier Affinity basses as US Fenders just after adding the waterslide
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I understand where he's coming from with the Fender logo, I was going to do the same with my Squier but I decided to sell it instead. There's a stigma attached to the Squier name which makes it all the more satisfying when people say "Dude, that Fender sounds sweet" when you alone know that its much cheaper.
awesome, I shall google the decal slides. cheers dude it's looking more and more likely that I am going to be modding now. (unless I see a bass on eBay that I can't not buy :P)

Quote by Din of Win
Just don't be one of those jerks that tries to sell it later as something it's not!

Haha, i've seen some dudes try to pass off Squier Affinity basses as US Fenders just after adding the waterslide

aha, I wouldn't do that. besides I could never sell my basses anyway, (unless forced to on pain of death :P), I love them way too much.

Quote by Spaz91
There's a stigma attached to the Squier name which makes it all the more satisfying when people say "Dude, that Fender sounds sweet" when you alone know that its much cheaper.

yea, I notice that alot. I don't really understand it, because Squier make some fantastic basses, but people look down on them just because they are the cheaper versions of fenders.
My Setup:
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
apologies for the double post, but i thought this would be better than starting another thread.

i have found 2 fender p basses on ebay that i like.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260764223331#ht_782wt_1141

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-American-Standard-Precision-Bass-97-/290550041175?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43a621ca57#ht_500wt_1156

(the second one has ended, but it didn't sell, and the seller has said he is willing to hear an offer from me)

now, the first is an MIM (with a custom pickguard), and the second is a USA, and i have heard endless numbers of things about the differences (or lack thereof) between MIM and USA fenders, most of which conflict so i'm still a bit confused, lol.

i am aware that the MIM bass is overpriced because of that custom pickguard, but i am going to see if the seller will reduce the buy it now price a little.

basically i want some advice on which would be the better bass to get out of the two. i love the visual look of both basses, so i was wondering what the possible pros and cons of each bass would be.
My Setup:
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,
If you can swing it, get the AM Std!

I would only get the MiM if you REALLLLY like it's color options and if you were planning on replacing a bunch of parts anyways.

Either way though, they're BOTH going to be awesome players!
cheers ^^

i'm trying to negotiate a price for the AM at the moment, so hopefully that will work out.

also, if i got the MIM what should i replace? bridge, pups?
My Setup:
Fender USA Jazz Bass
Hartke LH1000,
Hartke Hydrive 410,
Sansamp BDDI,