sorry if this has been done before (knowing this site probably to great length)

i've always wondered which was better as i have a BOSS ME-70 but in my pedal board i have an Digitech EX-7, Ibanez TS-7, Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde (for sale at £100) and a basic crybaby.

through the ME-70 has given me loads more effects opinions and everything that would normally cost me a bombshell to get, the lure of pedals is still calling me.

so was just wondering everyones opinions on this subject?
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone SG Special

Amps
HiWatt MaxWatt Gr100
Marshell MG30

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
Digitech EX-7
Dunlop cry baby standard
Jekyll+Hyde Ulitmate Overdrive
Ibanez TS-7
BOSS ME-70
Its true that buying a multi effects pedal will most likely give you a wah, octave pedal, chorus, phaser, distortion, maybe clean, delay, FLANGER! :P BUT! the quality of those effects are inferior to buying single pedals.
Try right now, go use the wah on your multi effects pedal, then use your crybaby, and compare it, the wah on the multi effects pedal most likely doesn't have that range that the crybaby has, I know that because I have both of the things your talking about, and same goes for every other effect on there. But if you look at it, to get a complete set of single pedals will put you back about 800 bucks at least, depending on what you consider a "full set".
I have a "full set" of MXR pedals, but to me that includes Delay, Flanger, Chorus, Distortion, a Crybaby, and an acoustic simulator. I am very aware that I'm missing some, but that does the job good enough for me, and the only reason I still have my Multi Effects pedal, is for using the octave pedal on there, I plan on selling it though to buy a legit one, then you gotta buy a pedal board, which looks like a drug briefcase, thats only like 50 bucks though. Yes
Those are my thoughts on pedals
Much like everything in the musician world, its all a matter of opinion. I personally love multi effects units over pedals, but people also love pedals over MFU's. I like them for the convenience and for the most part, I get the sound I am aiming for, mind you I have to do extensive tweaking. You'll find out quickly that you get what you pay for. There's many crap pedals and many crap MFU's littered in the market today, you just gotta test them yourself. I didn't really care for any of the BOSS effects, both pedal and mfu. I love the Line 6 pods, and Zoom makes same damn good mfu's. It's all about taste.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
another reason i asked through is that when i look at bands guitarist gear they never seem to use MFU they seem to all have pedals
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone SG Special

Amps
HiWatt MaxWatt Gr100
Marshell MG30

Pedals
Digitech EX-7
Dunlop cry baby standard
Ibanez TS-7
BOSS ME-70
I've seem them use pedal in conjunction with rack mount effects. But that's something else you could look in to. I'd love a rack setup, but they're a bit costly.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
The advantage of the MFX is the amp and cab modeling. Also nowadays MFX are very sophisticated and have tone shaping just as much as the dedicated pedals do.

My Boss GT-10 has more than I'll ever need and deep too.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
To tell the truth i've not looked into or how rack effcts work :p
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone SG Special

Amps
HiWatt MaxWatt Gr100
Marshell MG30

Pedals
Digitech EX-7
Dunlop cry baby standard
Ibanez TS-7
BOSS ME-70
Sometimes I wish I had a multi-fx board. Sometimes I'm just too lazy to plug my pedals together.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
depends on what units you are talking about. there are some fantastic high end MFX units and there are plenty of cheapie crap ones. same goes for pedals although you don't have to spend as much to get decent quality. i prefer pedals my self but i only use a few basic fx and usually rather sparingly.
I think MFU - the line6 one's are great way getting an awesome clean sound
distortion- hell no, any pedal for dist. are meaby eq pedals& booster
"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!"
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
No, you shouldn't pour beer on your guitar.
Real pedals or bust.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Apr 4, 2011,
I had the same delima.
After trying a few of the multi effects units, I went with seperate pedals.
Again its your preference. I only need 3 or 4 effects and no modeling, so it was an easy decision.
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3