When i use a capo the g string sounds a tad off but tuning and annotation are OK
should i invest in new strings or better quality capo?
You cant adjust the annotation on this guitar anyway i think?
what kinda guitar is it?
if the strings are old thats probably it

try putting the capo as close to the fret as possible
Quote by supersac
what kinda guitar is it?
if the strings are old thats probably it

try putting the capo as close to the fret as possible

4 month old Ibanez acoustic , i noticed if i even it out a little it helps
maybe its just the fact its a cheap dunlop capo that doesn't sit flat sometimes?
maybe I'll buy a planet waves NS. but I'll change the strings first.
Definitely try new strings first. It might be the capo too though. I know it doesn't matter what I do when I have to use a poor quality capo from someone.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
First post - hopefully in a logical place. It's re: capo use and tuning so I searched capo and ended up here.

I'm new to using a capo and fairly new (returning to) guitar playing in general with some basic understanding of theory. I'm trying to play a song whose chords/instructions I found on this site. It says to put the capo on the fourth fret. With standard tuning (to E), and capo on 4th fret, that would now be the equivalent of being tuned to G....correct? However, it also says "This Song is actually in the key of E". ??? So, why would it tell me to put the capo on the 4th fret?...Am I missing something? Does this make sense to anyone?

Also, if the chords are, for example Am G F Em, if I put the capo on the 4th fret, as directed, do I still use the same finger formations for these chords beginning on fret #5? If so, doesn't that mean I'm not playing those actual chord any more? (maybe that's normal and just the way it's supposed to be, but I'm wondering if I'm not supposed to be compensating/changing the chords due to the capo??)

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on any of this for me.....this is a hard thing to just "google" specifically and I've read a lot about tuning/capos but I'm still not perfectly clear.