I'm more interested in the final book coming out in July.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
George Martin the 21st century fantasy Tolstoy. I'm more interested in the book that should be coming out this summer.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
It's coming out in July? When was this announced? /fanboygasm

[GELDIT]
I meant this thread to talk about the TV series, not the books. There's already a literature thread for us to have our GRRM-gasms.
Last edited by Geldin at Apr 3, 2011,
Looks extremely cheesy and generic, to be honest. But it'll probably be good since it's an HBO series.
Is that the one with Sean Bean? I just saw an ad for it the other day. Haven't heard anything else about it.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Howzit cheesy/generic? I see some good faces attached and a decent sense of realism mixed with fantasy. The Others were a little cheesy, but it worked, since the dude was freaking the hell out.
Don't read them. You'll finish the first one and think to yourself: "damn, that was insanely good. I want to read the next one." So you'll get the second and then say "damn, that was insanely good. I want to read the next one." And then you'll get to the third, finish it, and say "damn, that was insanely good. I want to read the next one." And then you'll get the fourth and realize that there isn't another one on the shelf to the right of it in the bookstore and you'll say "damn, George Martin needs to finish writing the next one."

Then, if you're like I was, you'll suffer, languish in the press silence that is the man's writing process and become jaded. You'll think you're over it, but then a glimmer of hope: an update on his website. And then crashing confirmation of your hidden cynicism: he's not done yet. This continues for an arbitrary number of years. It will not end. Martin will live on if only to spite us, his faithful readers, by publicly admitting to writing anything but the next book.
Quote by Geldin
Don't read them. You'll finish the first one and think to yourself: "damn, that was insanely good. I want to read the next one." So you'll get the second and then say "damn, that was insanely good. I want to read the next one." And then you'll get to the third, finish it, and say "damn, that was insanely good. I want to read the next one." And then you'll get the fourth and realize that there isn't another one on the shelf to the right of it in the bookstore and you'll say "damn, George Martin needs to finish writing the next one."

Then, if you're like I was, you'll suffer, languish in the press silence that is the man's writing process and become jaded. You'll think you're over it, but then a glimmer of hope: an update on his website. And then crashing confirmation of your hidden cynicism: he's not done yet. This continues for an arbitrary number of years. It will not end. Martin will live on if only to spite us, his faithful readers, by publicly admitting to writing anything but the next book.

This is what I went through with the Robert Jordan series and right before the final books, he friggin died!! At least Sanderson, the author who has taken over has been good, but it's really hard reading a series and waiting for a year for each next book.

Apart from that, I really liked the first book but not enough to read the second, yet. I saw the HBO interviews and stuff but couldn't figure out one thing... if the series is about the first book or all of them. It looks like the first book to me but wasn't sure.

For some reason in the first book, I thought the dwarf brother was kind of a cool character. What I didn't like was the lack of a non-human, common enemy. At least in the first book. There's already way too many Camelot type movies.

Anyway, just tossing out some chat to keep an interesting thread and topic going...
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by mystical_1
Apart from that, I really liked the first book but not enough to read the second, yet. I saw the HBO interviews and stuff but couldn't figure out one thing... if the series is about the first book or all of them. It looks like the first book to me but wasn't sure.

[For some reason in the first book, I thought the dwarf brother was kind of a cool character. What I didn't like was the lack of a non-human, common enemy. At least in the first book. There's already way too many Camelot type movies.

Anyway, just tossing out some chat to keep an interesting thread and topic going...

Bolded bit changes eventually. I won't spoil it, but there was definitely some hints of the enemy even in the first book. Plus Daenerys' whole shtick down wherever the Hell she's at in the first book, you're looking at not just one, but several common enemies.

That said, I prefer the fractured kingdom feel that A Game of Thrones has to any of the Tolkien-derived stuff out there. Plus, Martin does the intrigue so well, so I have no complaints.
Quote by Mky
Hodor!

This.
All hail the BaartMan.

Gear:
-Guitar
-Another guitar
-Another guitar
-Amplifier
-A few effects pedals
-Piano
-Cat
I'd rather have A Dance With Dragons, but the TV series will do...

Looks like they've done a really good job on it too, I'm getting quite excited.

Quote by yurfinlfntsy

I've seen a few people get the impression that ADWD is the last. Well, it's not. GRRM's current plan is to follow it with The Winds of Winter and finally A Dream of Spring. He seems pretty set on 7 books, but given his past record I wouldn't be surprised if it got longer.

Quote by AzureNight
Looks extremely cheesy and generic, to be honest.

It really isn't. A Song of Ice and Fire is easily my favourite series of novels, and their success is down to the fact that unlike most fantasy, it seems 'real'. It's not your standard good versus evil fantasy, it's a tale of political intrigue, backstabbing and general badassery with the occasional fantasy element thrown in, and every one of the huge cast of characters is fantastically developed.

Most of your standard fantasy tropes get stood on their head, so I don't see how anybody can call it 'generic'

This is going to be fantastic. It is known.
I agree with A Song of Ice and Fire being the most realistic fantasy series out there. It seems to use the fantastic elements more as a backdrop for humans doing what they do best: be human.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

There are two more books planned in the series (then again George Martin hasn't planned that out anyways, so there could be just as well 10 more books before this series ends, who knows?).

Quote by mystical_1
What I didn't like was the lack of a non-human, common enemy.

For me it's the opposite. I'm fed up with all these Tolkien style rip-offs and high-fantasy works where some "uber evil thing from the dark side of the world" tries to take the world for his and destroy all good under the story's course. They're all so predictable and apart from sometimes-good scenery and lore very boring in the end.
For example the R.A. Salvatore works with Drizzt Do'Urden just made me cringe. I've read one and will never ever want to read one again.

I just watched the first episode of the TV-series and it looked so perfect. Almost all of it looked just like I had imagined while reading the books. Only thing I had differently in mind was Winterfell... I always envisioned it being on a rock-like natural cliff with a much bigger moat around the rock's base... a bit like a not-so-high version of the Eyrie.
Can't wait for the next book!

Btw: I'm a lore-freak when it comes to fantasy works. I can't stand cheaply envisioned fantasy worlds without any depth within their historical happenings. When I read LotR, I read all three books, then The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and The Children of Húrin and even started learning Quenya (though I'd go for Sindarin now, as it sounds more awesome ^^). Additionally I knew everything about Khuzdul that Tolkien had ever written down (or had been invented as fanfic later on for some useful RP-phrases)... more or less at least.
In the end I'd say that the Song of Ice and Fire series of books is even more enjoyable than the LotR-books, since the lore is on a similar level but the story told in the books themselves is much more interesting and better told.
i love this series, it's way better than the tv adoption of Sword of Truth (Legend of the Seeker). This one follows the books more precisely
Quote by Afroboy267
Wish i had HBO in this Country . It's 100x better than any of our shitty channels.

Sky Atlantic

I've been watching this show, it's amazing. Bought the first book too.
Quote by Afroboy267
Wish i had HBO in this Country . It's 100x better than any of our shitty channels.

What are you talking about?
Don't you have E4 in the UK?