so im sorry ive made so many threads. Im looking to upgrade to a more professional amp. I was looking at the line 6 spider valve and the peavey vypyr tube 60. Ive read in a few threads where people have advised the line 6 vetta amps over the spider valve. I rally have no idea which to go with. I like my vypyr and i think the tubes would really boost the tone to where i want. Its also affordable for me. Ive heard the spider valve live and the guy was getting an amazing tone..its just rally expensive though. I dont really know much about the vetta though. I play hard rock and metalcore, will go used, budget preferrably under $650. tones i like are breaking benjamin, chevelle, escape the fate, and a day to remember. Which would u guys go with?. Thanks for any help and again im sorry for making so many threads but i really want to make the right choice. Please keep it between these three amps or any modellers that would fit my need.
Why does it have to be out of those 3 or another modeller? Do you really need that much versatility?
You could probably pick up a used 5150/6505 or XXX combo, they would suit your needs pretty well.

What's your nearest major city?
*waits for 311 to come in with a massive list of Craigslist ads*
the vypyr 60 is a nice option for the price, you could also look at 6505 combos. You could get a 6505 head for that budget but you will still need a cab so it will be over the 650 level most likely.
Guitars
Amps
$650 is a nice budget. Amps that everyone will/has recommended are: Vypyr Valve 60, Spider Valve, Jet City, Peavey XXX, Peavey 5150 II/6505+. All of these are a good option.

You really need to go try and play some side by side. A used Peavey XXX/Ultra will be ~$400-500 for a head, so thats not a bad option and that thing has 3 channels and tons of gain on tap to play with. Of the bands you named and the amps recommended, I would say go Jet City, Peavey XXX/Ultra. The Spider Valve is uber overpriced, and I've never played the Viper.
^I wouldn't really suggest a Jet City, at least not the JCA20. It doesn't really have enough gain for what TS wants, and it isn't voiced for a modern metalcore tone (It can sort of pull it off, but its really not ideal). Plus, running 2xEL84 isn't really good for headroom, and means it has a pretty loose low end.
yes, i want to go with a modeller because i write a lot of different music. I have a love for indie rock as well as rock and metal. I also use a lot effects and just dont have the money to buy all the pedsls i would need. My nearest cities are jackson tennessee, nashville tn, and the florence/shoals are in alabama
I never meant the JCA20H. I was thinking the 100h, which does have a ton of gain and it can do all sorts of heavy. Might need to drop an EQ pedal in the mix to get REAL br00tz, and MAYBE a tubescreamer, but I don't think its necessary.

If you want a modeler to write music, get a small $100 Vypyr/Spider 15w. You won't be playing any of your written music live with a modeler amp like that (unless you invest in the $250 pedalboard) so might as well get a quality, versatile amp, and add in effects as you go. If you buy used, you can build up a ton of pedals in no time.
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Apr 3, 2011,
The 100 would be better, but its still more of a vintage voiced amp. Plus it really isn't very versatile.
I'd say get a good amp and get pedals. A two channel tube amp (clean and distorted), a tubescreamer, and some kind of metal pedal should cover most of the tones you want.
one reason i like the modellers is i use a lot of effects so i can avoid the tap dancing of channel switching and cutting pedals on and off. It just goes more smoothly to me. I'll look into the XXX suggestion. im a big fan of peavey. Ive never had one of their amps break down on me. Should also mention, im looking at combos or heads and a 2X12 cab setup. The jet city would cover some of it but not quite what i need. Thanks for the suggestions so far though!
Are you gigging at all? What I would do, is get a cheap modeller to write with at home, a Vyper or something, then get your $650 amp, maybe some pedals to re-create the kind of tone you got from your modeller
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
You could always get a nice Tube amp and a HQ multifx pedal if you really need the modelling
or you could the rack route and get a Pre/Power amp and mutlifx rack which could also serve as your live rig
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
so from what you guys are telling me...tube amp+ multi fx equals win...so how about a bugera 333 xl or peavey XXX halfstack with a line 6 hd 300? Would this suit my needs? Ive been hearing good stuff about the hd pedals so im curious
Quote by shecter guy
so from what you guys are telling me...tube amp+ multi fx equals win...so how about a bugera 333 xl or peavey XXX halfstack with a line 6 hd 300? Would this suit my needs? Ive been hearing good stuff about the hd pedals so im curious

i've got no experience with the hd300, but the 333xl or XXX would be great amps.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
anyone have any multi fx pedal recommendations for me then? Id like to keep it under $300 if possible
so for amps, ive seen some videos of the peavey ultra getting some tones i really like. Any comments on this amp?
Quote by shecter guy
one reason i like the modellers is i use a lot of effects so i can avoid the tap dancing of channel switching and cutting pedals on and off. It just goes more smoothly to me. I'll look into the XXX suggestion. im a big fan of peavey. Ive never had one of their amps break down on me. Should also mention, im looking at combos or heads and a 2X12 cab setup. The jet city would cover some of it but not quite what i need. Thanks for the suggestions so far though!

With modeling amps and multi-effects pedals, you still have to turn effects on and off, switch presets, etc. They are also a pain to get good tones out of, trust me I used to think the same thing. You really don't need a modeling amp with 50+ presets. How many professionals do you know of that use modeling amps? And IMO, there is a lot of better stuff than Peavey. Why don't you look on musiciansfriend.com to see if there is anything you like in your price range. I honestly think you would be much more satisfied with a good amp and pedals.
Get the Peavey Ultra/XXX. They are the same amp, the ultra is just an older model. Both of them can usually be found for around the $400 range though.

I personally like both amps, but it all depends what you need. Versatility is good, but how many people are constantly changing channels on their amp? You have to find one sound, and build off of that with pedals if you want all of your effects etc. not constantly be changing things, otherwise you'll never be able to recreate a live sound.
Quote by OceansBetweenUs
Get the Peavey Ultra/XXX. They are the same amp, the ultra is just an older model. Both of them can usually be found for around the $400 range though.

I personally like both amps, but it all depends what you need. Versatility is good, but how many people are constantly changing channels on their amp? You have to find one sound, and build off of that with pedals if you want all of your effects etc. not constantly be changing things, otherwise you'll never be able to recreate a live sound.

^ Agreed.
i actually do a lot of channel switching and color my tone with effects like delay and chorus, its not hard for me to get tones i like out of multi fx pedals. Not looking for amp modeling. Just mainly delay and modulation effects. Im going to buy a few pedals like eq, wah and noise suppresor
Quote by shecter guy
i actually do a lot of channel switching and color my tone with effects like delay and chorus, its not hard for me to get tones i like out of multi fx pedals. Not looking for amp modeling. Just mainly delay and modulation effects. Im going to buy a few pedals like eq, wah and noise suppresor

That sounds good. If you want to save on a chorus pedal, get the GFS or Biyang chorus, I've heard they are almost the exact same circuit as the Boss CE-2.
thanks, but that was just an example. I use chorus, flange, phasers, rotary speakers, wah, a few different delay tones, and will probably end up grabbing a fuzz and a whammy pedal. You might see why a multi effect pedal could be more cost effective haha
so ive pretty much settled on the peavey ultra. I checked out some demos for the jet city 100 as well. Actually does metal pretty well but couldnt find the tone i was looking for from the videos..any recommendations at all for a multi effect pedal?
If you're only playing high gain metalcore stuff I don't see what you'd want with a modelling amp. You could get a 6505+ for that price and it's pretty much THE amp for that sound these days.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
thats the point, im not only playing high gain metalcore. Otherwise this would have been a simple choice. But im not so thats where the indecision comes in