I've always wanted to get into Martial Arts but my parents never wanted to pay. wel now that I have my own job I wouldn't mind getting into one. I know i"d have fun with it, it's help me get in shape to start doing Parkour plus it could be fun sparring with my girlfriend, especially if we both end up pinned to the ground

Anyhow...I know VERY little about Martial Arts. What I'm looking for in one is something that doesn't promote violence as a solution (...isn't that most martial arts though?) but if you must fight something that is aggressive with its moves and wants a to end the fight quickly. I think my old man said there was a form of Karate that emphsized this?

Another style I'd be interested in is a martial art focussed on pinning your opponent, using their own stregnth against them, etc. But I'm not sure how that would work for me since I've heard those styles were develped for smaller people (I'm 6'1'').

Any advice or opinions are appreciated, thanks for reading and have a good one.
Phoenix

PS: I know it varies from school to school but what's a general 'starting cost'. Uniform, 1st few months of schooling, etc of a Martial art?
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Quote by Phoenix Reborn

Another style I'd be interested in is a martial art focussed on pinning your opponent, using their own stregnth against them, etc. But I'm not sure how that would work for me since I've heard those styles were develped for smaller people (I'm 6'1'').

i think your thinking of brazillian ju jit-zu (not sure how its spelled)
Oh hey, I didn't see you there
Yeah brazilian jiu jitsu is probably the thing you are looking for, instead of pounding a guy's head in you can just choke him and put him to sleep.
Aikido uses your opponent's strength against him. You could go and try it, many places have a "You can come and have a demonstration class first" policy
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
What I'm looking for in one is something that doesn't promote violence as a solution (...isn't that most martial arts though?) but if you must fight something that is aggressive with its moves and wants a to end the fight quickly.

Most modern schools do not promote any type of violence and everything is taught with the assurance that you're going to use it for self-defense. This is usually stressed a lot with younger students.

Quote by Phoenix Reborn

I think whats best (and what I studied and taught for 5 years) is mixed martial arts. It covers everything from stand up fighting to ground fighting, as well as traditional aspects and sometimes weapons (my favorite).

Kickboxing / Tae Kwon Do / Muay Thai - All good stand up fighting styles

Aikido - Using your opponents strength against them

Judo / Jui-Jitsu - Take downs and ground fighting

Size doesn't matter, its how you use your energy and your opponents energy to your advantage. Mind over matter..

Quote by Phoenix Reborn
I know it varies from school to school but what's a general 'starting cost'. Uniform, 1st few months of schooling, etc of a Martial art?

My school when it started was $12 per class, but as the rent kept going up and up, it eventually increased to $21 per class. So expect a price range $10-$25, with a uniform costing $30-$50. Also, some schools do make you pay for your tests and belts. Honestly, I would stay away from schools with orange and purple belts, because they are just thrown in to make more money, but some schools replace other colored belts with those, so I could be wrong.
Last edited by xHellbound at Apr 3, 2011,
Kyokushin Karate, i learned it in Okinawa, FRIKKEN FOR MONSTER STYLE, its a direct combat style all contact. If you want to end something quickly, this is what you are looking for c:

After that you can learn some judo to compliment you and make you a well rounded fighter =]
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
I guess what I'd be looking for is along the lines of take downs and ground fighting like Judo then.

But what have you guys heard about Shotokan Karate? I did some digging and that was the style my dad took. It does look cool, but I'm wondering if it's practical. I don't wnat to take something like Tae Kwon Doe that, while loooking really cool and is a true art form, seems more for asthetic purposes then practical fighting.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
I love Muay Thai. Teaches you to make good use of your elbows and knees. It's a great standing style of hand to hand, however, It's good to learn an opposite fighting style like Judo. Mixing gives you more experience and options for countering the unexpected.
Jiu-Jitsu is win.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
i would like to learn some kickboxing or karate

i havent done much bjj/ grappling outside of just ****ing around with some friends, but its really fun!
Quote by zerkein
Aikido uses your opponent's strength against him. You could go and try it, many places have a "You can come and have a demonstration class first" policy

This, a thousand times. Aikido is all about redirecting the attack of your opponent in order to neutralize it without violence. Its tagline is basically "minimize damage both to yourself as well as to your opponent". It's a beautiful martial art, highly recommended.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Eh. A lot of schools nowadays really rip you off. Do a lot of searching around, and try to find a sensei/sifu who isn't all interested in money.

As for picking a style, just find some local martial arts schools and observe their classes. I'm sure you'll find something that interests you by spectating.
Last edited by Jon777 at Apr 3, 2011,
Quote by Garci
This, a thousand times. Aikido is all about redirecting the attack of your opponent in order to neutralize it without violence. Its tagline is basically "minimize damage both to yourself as well as to your opponent". It's a beautiful martial art, highly recommended.

*fistbump*

Quote by Phoenix Reborn
I guess what I'd be looking for is along the lines of take downs and ground fighting like Judo then.

But what have you guys heard about Shotokan Karate? I did some digging and that was the style my dad took. It does look cool, but I'm wondering if it's practical. I don't wnat to take something like Tae Kwon Doe that, while loooking really cool and is a true art form, seems more for asthetic purposes then practical fighting.

im a black belt in shotokan, trust me, its sound in theory, but you'll never be put in any of the positions that you'll be able to use it,

since i've done taekwondo, which is amazing to learn and i'm currently training in MMA.
best thing to do is MMA, its practical and its a damn good workout
i'm Ginger its fun
I took Judo for some time when I was little (from kindergarten til 3rd grade in elementary school I think).
It involves just throwing and tricks to keep opponent down and requires you to get really close, so I'd suggest taking some martial arts that includes a bit kicking, punching or something aswell.
BJJ isn't too good for takedowns, but it's king for ground game. Judo/Sambo is better for throwing/taking down people to the ground and using their weight against them (Aikido is also good to cross train in, not effective by itself though). American wrestling is pretty good to know too.

Most of the time in a street fight scenario (from my experience of seeing fights at clubs/parties/etc.), when it goes to the ground it gets either broken up or everyone else will jump in, so you want to get up ASAP and not spend time with ground game like in MMA fights.

Boxing classes will teach you how to throw a punch, temporarily stun/ko your opponent so you can escape. Can't really go wrong training at a good boxing gym. Muay Thai is the most interesting to me though, when I start making enough money, I'm probably going to train in Muay Thai and Judo.

Money is a bit of the problem. Legit practices can cost up to $300 a month, but start reading up online of the dojos in your area and contact them about pricing.
I trained Taekwondo for 5 years , got bored since it's to focused on being a sport and that bothers me now. I tried Bujinkan but I didn't have time to train

Try Aikido or Jiu-jitsu.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Sambo or Krav Maga. They teach you how to cut people in a knifefight and shit.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
I take Yongmudo, which is a Korean mixed martial art, that is essentially a cross between Judo and Taikwondo, but instructors generally will throw in any number of other techniques from Muay Thai or Jiu Jitsu. I definitley recommend, just cause then you have everything. Shotokan is hardcore though. I have two friends who are black belt, and 2nd dan in Shotokan, and its effective for sure.
based on what you're saying, i'd suggest either krav maga, old style muay thai, sambo, or jiu jitsu

keep in mind that there are many belt factories out there - styles dont make fights, fighters make fights. personally, i would take the old style muay thai over anything. its techniques are more effective and practical than anything i've seen, and it doesnt take the fight to the ground.

taking the fight to the ground in an actual fight is generally a bad idea unless you are 100% sure the guy does not have anyone to help him. if you take it to teh ground, you are helpless to an onslaught of attacks if he brings in help.

also, it draws focus to the clinch, which is where a lot of fights seem to take place these days (or the ground, but we've been over this)...if you can fight effectively in the clinch, very few people can stop you.

all this said, you should atleast familiarize yourself with basic groundfighting techniques....having even a basic knowledge will set you far above anyone.

....also, the best self defense is having friends. very few people will pick a fight when you have help with you. travel in groups and you have little to worry about.
I teach private lessons in voice, hit me up if interested!