I wanna take my speed to the next level, I can already play some pretty quick stuff (fastest being critical acclaim solo by avenged sevenfold) but I wanna be able to achieve this without sloppyness and play it right at least 90% of the time

I recently got troy stetinas lead book, but I'm thinking about just using paul gilbert songs as practice for speed so its at least fun. So which one would be more effective? doing the practices off the book? or learning paul gilbert songs?
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
Depends how you approach each. The exercises, frankly, don't make the difference and there is no magic bullet exercise that will suddenly make you shred once you start running it. You need to approach whatever you're doing with the focus of improving our technique rather than getting faster since you can't directly control speed, you can only control the things that go into it like economy of motion and relaxation. Improve your technique and you'll get faster but you can't get faster just by trying to get faster.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Depends how you approach each. The exercises, frankly, don't make the difference and there is no magic bullet exercise that will suddenly make you shred once you start running it. You need to approach whatever you're doing with the focus of improving our technique rather than getting faster since you can't directly control speed, you can only control the things that go into it like economy of motion and relaxation. Improve your technique and you'll get faster but you can't get faster just by trying to get faster.

Alright thanks, so should I relearn whatever I already know except focus on using barely any motion or will learning new things (focusing on the things you said go into speed) make me play better even on songs I already learned using nonperfect technique?
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
IMO focus on playing perfectly clean at the fastest speed you can. Speed is a biproduct of technique if your technique is sloppy speed won't come. If your technique is precise and accurate speed will develop naturally.
Quote by !Mike!
Alright thanks, so should I relearn whatever I already know except focus on using barely any motion or will learning new things (focusing on the things you said go into speed) make me play better even on songs I already learned using nonperfect technique?

I'd say learn new things, you can go back and relearn what you already know if you want but since any improvements in technique filter through to whatever you do there's not much point. Might as well learn new things anyway, right?

Quote by Dangertux
IMO focus on playing perfectly clean at the fastest speed you can. Speed is a biproduct of technique if your technique is sloppy speed won't come. If your technique is precise and accurate speed will develop naturally.

But you can't improve your technique when playing at speed, you're working too much from muscle memory, it has to be done while playing slowly enough that you have absolute control over both your hands.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^^ this

you get faster by playing slower.... so slow down your solos and practice hitting them perfectly slowly then once you can do that slowly push the speed (by anywhere between 1 and 5 bpm, everyone has a differnt sweet spot so find yours)... I typically keep pushing till I'm playing about 10-15 bpm faster than the song I'm learning, because once you slow back down, it's much easier to hit all the notes cleanly.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.