Hey all. So, my good friend lent me his acoustic guitar (I know this is an electric guitar forum, but I'm hoping to play strictly death metal, as you'll find out later on in this post) and I'm trying to teach myself guitar without having to pay any money for lessons or books or anythings. I'm really broke, and don't have time to earn any money, really, so a book or lesson isn't really an option.

Anyways, I'm wondering if someone knows of either a free website or a general plan for teaching myself LITERALLY from step 1 of learning to play guitar on how to eventually be more geared towards playing melodic death metal (of course it'd be nice to know how to play other genres, but I primarily want to play melodies like Kalmah or OLD Children of Bodom style stuff...). I guess what I'm saying is that I want to play fast, but not just low stuff.

Anyways, does anyone know of any site online or anything that has a step by step lesson guide and practice guide and whatnot for teaching oneself how to play metal guitar? Like I really don't care about learning open chords or finger picking, you know?

Anyone know of anything? Thanks a bunch!
Check out Justin Guitar for free lessons. However, I don't think he caters to melodic death metal. Never thought I'd type those words together...
Just learn to play songs you like. Move on from the simple songs and just keep learning arder and harder stuff
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by DamagingExcess
Just learn to play songs you like. Move on from the simple songs and just keep learning arder and harder stuff

What about learning proper technique and such? Also I'm pretty sure almost all Kalmah, all Children of Bodom, all At The Gates (minus Blinded By Fear, but I can't tune my acoustic guitar to dropped B!) and all Dark Tranquillity would be considered way too hard for someone who can barely alternate pick his way through a 1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5 exercise on the top string alone, let alone move down to the next string, lol.

And yeah, thanks KG6, I know about Justin Guitar, but I'm not sure if I want to learn from his website. I mean, wouldn't a lot of it, such as open chords and whatnot, sort of just be a waste of time? I'm a vocalist first and foremost and really only want to learn guitar for song and solo writing, so I only need to know techniques for death metal, since that's all that I really want to play and write. At least at this stage in my life.
Quote by shinderhizzle84
What about learning proper technique and such? Also I'm pretty sure almost all Kalmah, all Children of Bodom, all At The Gates (minus Blinded By Fear, but I can't tune my acoustic guitar to dropped B!) and all Dark Tranquillity would be considered way too hard for someone who can barely alternate pick his way through a 1-2-3-4-2-3-4-5 exercise on the top string alone, let alone move down to the next string, lol.

I'm a firm believer there is no "proper" technique. You play the way that works best for you, not the way that works best for someone else. Now taking that into account, if someone suggests to play something a certain way, try it. It may work for you better. And the alternate picking thing just comes with practice.
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
this website your on is acually an excellent resource. u can find a bunch of practice scales for learning death metal and youtube anything you dont find here. thats basically what i did and it turned out pretty good for me, good luck!
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Guitar playing is a rather expensive art. If you can't afford a book I don't know how you're going to manage to get any decent gear.

You're not really going to find anything geared straight for metal guitar from day one, and most beginner level lessons are going to be universal across all genres (every genre uses bending, alternate picking, hammers/pull-offs, etc). You shouldn't pigeonhole yourself into metal so early on either; I've found that I enjoy many genres that I didn't like before I started playing guitar (i.e. blues, instrumental, jazz). Metal inspired me to start playing guitar but now my influences stretch across many genres. I think it helps add to one's unique style.

Anyway, some good places to start are here, justinguitar, guitarlessons365, and youtube. If you really wanted to work some interwebs magic I'm sure you could find some DVDs for "free", but that would be illegal sir.
m169marroquin on youtube has an amazing database of song tutorials and a website with all of them organized. he teaches more thrash metal stuff but along the lines of learning technique, no luck there. but whatever you do, never follow the "eHow" or "expert villiage" channels lessons, they're just bad.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
The way I learned how to play was by first learning a handful of common chords like the major and minor chords.

Next I picked a few songs that I wanted to play(and were fairly simple) and worked out what chords were used, and the strumming pattern. The first song I learned was Pearl Jams 'Last Kiss'.

I basically kept repeating this process while adding solos and other stuff.

Hope this helps.
For 'Ultimate Guitar' Members: I wrote an ebook called "The Ultimate Guide To Playing The Guitar".

If you'd like a FREE copy of it, you can do so by Clicking Here
You have to start basic, open chords, although you won't use them for melodic death metal are a starting point, and it wouldn't hurt to know them. You need to take your mind of death metal and focus on the guitar is my advice. You're going to have to learn the technique and basics first and any free lessons you can find will help. On top of that start with basic songs you like, if you can't do the solo and melodies just practice the chords, will give you a sense for the music and you slowly work your way up
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
So you want to learn with free lessons, but don't want to use them?
I'm confused.
You need to start BASIC to ever get any where above a Beginer level, sorry to burst your bubble. I've been playing for 16+ yrs and have taught myself everything but G,A,D,C,F and it can be done, but I wish I would have started with all of the basics. So now 99% of what I play I couldn't tell you what note it is, but I know what sounds and patterns can be used together. This is both a hinderance and a blessing, but my "ear" is very good because of it.
P.S. It takes 3 times the time to get "proficiant" playing this way.
with enough determination, youtube and tabs off this site can make almost anybody a halfway decdent guitarist provided they put thier heart and soul into it.

our guitar heros of the past decades learned guitar from watching videos over and over and trying to somehow get a hold of sheet music or watching TVs. there were no tab websites or streaming videos. no MP3s. nothing.

imagine how hard that was....and people like van halen sat in thier room al lnight with a 6 pack of malt schlitz and learned to play eric clapton albums note for note.
you need to know:
-powerchords
-tremolo picking
-pinch harmonics
-downpicking
-alternate picking
-palm mute
-major,minor, and minor pentatonic scales.
-hammer-ons, pull-offs
-know all twelve notes on the e string atleast.

Theres alot more obviously. but i think that will get you where you want to be. as in able to write songs
just fret yourself a nice powerchord to start out.

a----5
e----3

move it anywhere up and down on the neck. than go like.

e-5---------7---------8-----------8
a-3-3-3-3-5-5-5-5-6-6-6-6--6

a-----8----7---5---------7-9-7
e-000-000-000-000-5-7-5
lol im sorry i dont really know how much you know at all.. i forged like a retards guide to metal mini lesson (from a retard)
You should learn how to sweep pick.
"Down the dark decades of you're pain, this will seem like a memory of Heaven."
I started of by learning simple songs with only power chords and simple solos and I was able to quickly move onto harder songs, as well as some more advanced techniques and skills. I never actually tried looking at lessons as I preferred to just get on with it and figure things out myself. You could try this although you might prefer to check out some online lessons, this is just my way of doing things.
I started learning by just picking a couple of songs I thought sounded alright and kinda simple. Each new song generally introduced something new; maybe a new picking technique, a new chord or a new strumming pattern and so over time my skills compounded.

I think that having the basics down is important for every genre and for me the basics means being able to play the common chords, strum with them cleanly and make good changes. Here's a list of beginner songs (http://www.ebeginnerelectricguitar.com/beginner-guitar-songs) and they all seem to use the basic chords too. They are all rockish songs though so maybe it won't suit you.

You don't need to shell out money to learn the guitar, just be patient with it really.
Quote by Marrakis
You should learn how to sweep pick.

yes, an obvious first choice of technique for someone who only just started playing.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
1-
this is one of the most boring and daunting tasks you will ever do , but the sooner the better.
Learn all the notes on the fretboard to the point where it takes milliseconds for you to find them.

2- practice reading music

:P whenever youre out of things to practice, do those... oh man they are boring , but the rewards are great :P