Okay, I'm back to looking for somebody to make AND print my flyers, so here's the deal

Long story short, a friend at work told me about this guy who strictly does band flyers, but I'm not sure if my band can afford him. By the way, we're a trio (in case you just wanna know)

We need 500 8.5x11 inch flyers and he's charging $225 for them $250 for 1,000...I don't know if that's expensive or not, but I admit that this dude does a pretty cool job on these posters.

He's also got 500 5x7 for $130...would that be the better deal?
Quote by honkytown
Okay, I'm back to looking for somebody to make AND print my flyers, so here's the deal

Long story short, a friend at work told me about this guy who strictly does band flyers, but I'm not sure if my band can afford him. By the way, we're a trio (in case you just wanna know)

We need 500 8.5x11 inch flyers and he's charging $225 for them $250 for 1,000...I don't know if that's expensive or not, but I admit that this dude does a pretty cool job on these posters.

He's also got 500 5x7 for $130...would that be the better deal?

would kinko's have better rates?
A callous exterior isn't an uncommon way of protecting ideals; it hides the idealists from the derision of fools and cowards. But it also immobilizes them, so that, in trying to preserve their ideals, they risk losing them.
That's actually really good. Most places around me at least will charge you 50 cents for a copy, which is 500 dollars for 1,000.

Now the question is, do you need 1,000? Is this to promote a show, or can you get 1,000 and then hand them out at every show you have to make sure the public knows your information? And if this is to promote a show, is it worth the investment? Will there be a big enough chance for a return on your investment, because that's essentially what this is. Ask yourselves these question before you put down the money and if you answer "correctly" then go for it.
Quote by Zycho
Do you really need that many fliers?

If it's $225 for 500 and $25 more for 1,000, you may as well get the extra 500 fliers for $25.
It's better to have too many than not enough and if you stand in a town centre handing out fliers to everyone who looks like they may possibly be into the gig you're advertising, you'd be surprised just how quickly you get through a lot of fliers.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Apr 5, 2011,
I just don't think that handing out massive amounts of fliers is really going to do most bands any good. I think you're better off just paying him to design the flier and then making 10-20 copies at kinkos and posting them in places where people will actually give a shit. The people who actually go to local shows (not including bar shows, that's a different crowd) are pretty specific crowd. Unless you're in a really bumping, hip college town I feel like handing 1000 fliers out in the street is both a waste of paper and money.

But hey, if you're in a bar band handing out fliers with drink specials and what not will probably do you some good. It all depends on what you're going for.
Quote by Zycho
I just don't think that handing out massive amounts of fliers is really going to do most bands any good. I think you're better off just paying him to design the flier and then making 10-20 copies at kinkos and posting them in places where people will actually give a shit. The people who actually go to local shows (not including bar shows, that's a different crowd) are pretty specific crowd. Unless you're in a really bumping, hip college town I feel like handing 1000 fliers out in the street is both a waste of paper and money.

But hey, if you're in a bar band handing out fliers with drink specials and what not will probably do you some good. It all depends on what you're going for.

While I agree that he should be advertising in places where people will see it and give a shit, the whole point of advertising is to reach as many people as possible.
The only concern on handing out flyers in the street and stuff, is that a lot of people just take one to avoid eye contact then walk 3 feet and drop it.

This can end up getting you (or whoever is liable to get contacted from the flyer) into a bit of trouble.
I've done this sort of stuff to help a few people out, once for a venue and once for something which I've completely forgotten and for some reason the police are very interested in stopping you leafletting!

Just be warned about that!
Quote by Punk_Ninja
The only concern on handing out flyers in the street and stuff, is that a lot of people just take one to avoid eye contact then walk 3 feet and drop it.

This can end up getting you (or whoever is liable to get contacted from the flyer) into a bit of trouble.
I've done this sort of stuff to help a few people out, once for a venue and once for something which I've completely forgotten and for some reason the police are very interested in stopping you leafletting!

Just be warned about that!

Legaly, once the flyer has been handed to someone else, it's nothing to do with you what they decide to do with it. So long as there is no evidence that you were directly responsible for littering, (ie, that you yourself threw the fliers on the ground) there's nothing they can do about it, so long as it's done on public property, handing out flyers is not illegal.

Quote by C_Miller
That's actually really good. Most places around me at least will charge you 50 cents for a copy, which is 500 dollars for 1,000.

Now the question is, do you need 1,000? Is this to promote a show, or can you get 1,000 and then hand them out at every show you have to make sure the public knows your information? And if this is to promote a show, is it worth the investment? Will there be a big enough chance for a return on your investment, because that's essentially what this is. Ask yourselves these question before you put down the money and if you answer "correctly" then go for it.

I think 500 will probably be a minimum order, which is fairly standard for many printing companies, so regardless of how many less than 500 the TS decides he needs, it'll still cost him the same price. But you make a good point. If you use the fliers to promote a tour or set of dates rather than just one gig, you'll get much more use out of them.
Just to let you know I just spent $8 on 100 copies of flyers at kinkos today for an upcoming show. Do the math, 8 cents a copy, your talking $80 for 1000 copies. And i know they have deals for when you get more than 500 copies of something.

You just need a hard copy of something, which you can make yourself.
Last edited by scguitarking927 at Apr 7, 2011,
I guess you guys should have a look at this flyer printing company. I have been printing with them for ages and can not complain.

BUT, should you find a cheaper printer, PLEASE let me know