I'm thinking of getting an ENGL head, but do I need an ENGL cab to optimize the sound? I heard people say that various ENGL products suck balls through some kinds of cabs, yet it works wonders through their own company's cabinet.

But, I thought the cabinet was just an amplifier, logically if that's correct I have no idea how cabinet would matter. Especially if it's function is strictly amplification.

Am I missing something?
: )
ENGL cabs seem a bit pricy imo, ive never used one so i guess i can't judge. From my understanding its more important what speakers are in the cab than the cab itself but i could be wrong.
Quote by AcousticMirror
the head is for amplification.

the cabinet is where the speakers are.

let me just write that down.
mojostompboxes.com
ENGL's cabs are nice if you like V30's, but there are plenty of other companies that make nice cabs too. What ENGL head are you looking at, and what price point for a cab?
I was thinking ENGL Savage stuff, it's like 2100$ ish, which is A LOT. I don't want to blow my money... I'm looking for that sweet spot sound.
: )
Cabinets are very important as they are the output of your signal. Each cabinet has it's own tone characteristics and different speakers, sizing and construction can radically change your amp's voice.

Even the cab alone can sound different depending on its construction. For example; Marshall 1960, Mesa Standard, Orange PPC412 are all Celestion Vintage 30 loaded cabs that all have their own distinct sound.
This may come from sizing which can radically change the frequency response of the cab, allowing certain frequencies to be emphasised, and even its construction, wood, bracing can change its sound.

Now, Engl's own cabs may be specifically voiced to work with their heads to produce a specific tone, but the amp will work well with other cabs too and ultimately you need to look at a few to find YOUR TONE, not Engl's (It could well work out the Engl cabs are your preference though). They are very expensive along with the Mesas though, and there's always the question whether it's worth it. If you make music for a living, it could be if you love the tone, but cheaper gear may actually yield better results for you.

The ENGL savage stuff seems like a lot, but their standard cabs are less, and another worthy cab to consider is the Orange PPC412. They are ~$1k less than the Engl Pros at my local store and are a very versatile cabinet:
I've seen them on stage with Powderfinger, The Mars Volta, Stone Sour, Deftones and I know Misha Mansoor from Periphery uses them.

Don't just look at ENGLs is the moral here I guess.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Apr 4, 2011,
Quote by baumaxx1

Even the cab alone can sound different depending on its construction. For example; Marshall 1960, Mesa Standard, Orange PPC412 are all Celestion Vintage 30 loaded cabs that all have their own distinct sound.

*1960 so not v30's...
Go for Orange PPC412 at least that's what I'm going for with my 6505...
It is the best thing for the price.

But personally I'm the biggest fan of Randall RS125XL. Check it out if you can get it anywhere its discounted :/
"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions!"
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
No, you shouldn't pour beer on your guitar.
Last edited by msoban at Apr 4, 2011,
It's not so much that the head won't sound good without an ENGL cab. I guarantee you there are other brands that it'll sound great with. I'd go out on a limb and say some of them might even sound better than the ENGL cab. There are just certain cabs that aren't going to sound good with that particular head, and others that won't sound very good with any head.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by msoban
*1960 so not v30's...
Go for Orange PPC412 at least that's what I'm going for with my 6505...
It is the best thing for the price.

But personally I'm the biggest fan of Randall RS125XL. Check it out if you can get it anywhere its discounted :/

http://www.derringers.com.au/products/Marshall-1960AV-280w-4x12-Vintage-30-Speaker-Cabinet.html

Depends on which one^

I guarantee you there are other brands that it'll sound great with. I'd go out on a limb and say some of them might even sound better than the ENGL cab. There are just certain cabs that aren't going to sound good with that particular head, and others that won't sound very good with any head.

^Bingo!
In short-

Yes. The cabinet matters a lot and can drastically change your sound.

The difference between my combo speaker and the Crate 4x12 cab I just sold is just ridiculous. They sound nothing alike.

And now I'm finally about to by a 2x12 with v30s. I'm so happy.
some people say a lot of things.

if it sounds great in the store it will likely sound great at home.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The cabinet doesn't have to be of the same brand as the amplifier, but as many have already pointed out, the cabinet can make a huge difference. Case in point: Stick a Peavey 6505+ head on it's matching Peavey cabinet and it sounds good. Now match that amplifier with a Marshall 1960-series cabinet loaded with Vintage 30s and it will sound worlds better.

Try your amp with different cabinets and decide which combination sounds best to you.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Does it matter? Just listen if to the amp and make up wether you like the sound. Maybe you'll just have to re-EQ a bit. Nonetheless engls are nice amps.
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
Last edited by guitardWARf at Apr 4, 2011,
Quote by guitardWARf
does it matter just listen if to the amp and make up wether you like the sound maybe you'll just have to re-EQ a bit nonetheless engls are nice amps

Gah. In the future use punctuation and proper grammar. Or at least try man.

Yes, the cab makes a pretty big difference. Try out a bunch of different cabs until you find the one you like the most. Orange, Mesa, and Marshall are the standard go-to cabs for most people. Other good/great companies are vader, emperor, Port City, Mills acoustic. While these last ones tend to be very pricey, they are considered the highest of high end and aren't too far out in price from a new ENGL cab
Gear-Ibanex rg7321 w/dimarzio pups--->Ernie Ball Jr. Vol pedal--->TS9-->Line 6 DL4--->ADA MP-1--->Marshall 9005 poweramp--->Line6 4X12 straight cab w/v30s
Quote by baumaxx1

Meaby you're right... But I don't know 280 watts?... aren't v30's 60watt?
Something is not right here...
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
Last edited by msoban at Apr 4, 2011,
cabinets are extremely important

that being said you don't necessarily have to match a company's head to its cab, you may prefer another company's cab, or it may be better value where you are, etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok I won't argue here I really don't know.
But from your facts I 100% know that now v30s are 60watt )
Quote by Kalo Hanaka