And new tone = new gear! I'm going for something in the modern pop/alt rock vein. Something mostly akin to Lostprophets, but some Killers and Panic at the Disco thrown in (don't you dare judge my musical tastes ). That means:

Gigging volume
Punchy, sparkly clean
Somewhat aggressive, punchy low/medium gain rhythm sound (more like rhythm in the higher registers of the guitar, not chug a chug for lack of better terms )
High gain rhythm not needed, but would be nice
Great leads (I'm lead guitarist)

I was thinking something along the lines of an Orange RV/TV, but those are awfully expensive. I'm also contemplating the clean amp + pedal route, but I'm worried I might be plagued with thinness, overpriced pedals, and lack of a solid, tight tone. Someone point me in the right direction!

Budget is around $1500 or less for head AND cab. Willing to go used. Nearest major city is Sacramento.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Its ok, I enjoy Killers and Panic! as well.

I'd go with Vox. I've got an AC30vr (obviously you're looking for something more high end), and it is just a dream for the price. It does a great job at doing what you want
Quote by scimitar_255
Its ok, I enjoy Killers and Panic! as well.

I'd go with Vox. I've got an AC30vr (obviously you're looking for something more high end), and it is just a dream for the price. It does a great job at doing what you want

Actually that is a great suggestion, but I would like something (ironically) a little less bright. My guitar is VERY bright to start with. A similar but darker/thicker/more aggressive tone would be perfect.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Last edited by bingeandletgo at Apr 4, 2011,
A used two channel dual rec? They cover a fair amount of tones or maybe an ultra versatile tone machine like a Egnater Tourmaster/Renegade, Marshall JVM or Randall MTS.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Yeah they're expensive, but that Orange Rockerverb is a beast of an amp. Plus it's got that darker/thicker tone you want.
The Egnater Renegade will do that sound really well. It has fantastic cleans and nails that darker AC30 type sound that you seem to want. It's extremely flexible tonally anyway.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Seref
Yeah they're expensive, but that Orange Rockerverb is a beast of an amp. Plus it's got that darker/thicker tone you want.

+1 great amp for what your after.
Definately anything Orange, dark, punchy and that British goodness.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Jet City JCA50?
Vox AC30 or AC50?

The new Night Train head looks like it might be cool also.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Laney GH50L and a 2x12 filled with G12T75. Dark, british, punchy cleans and really nice rhythm tone. Could have a bit too much gain for your taste, but you could always just throw an A12T7 into V1.

That's what I did
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by bingeandletgo
Actually that is a great suggestion, but I would like something (ironically) a little less bright. My guitar is VERY bright to start with. A similar but darker/thicker/more aggressive tone would be perfect.

Don't buy an amp on the basis of making your guitar sound less bright, this can be solved in many, far cheaper ways. Id start looking at my tone cap value or possibly getting a cable with more capacitance to lock off some of those highs.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
You could probably get a Rocker or Thunder 30 in your price range.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass