Page 1 of 2
This probably is a stupid question, and I know you skill doesn't determine how many guitars you can have, but I'm 15 and don't have a lot of cash. I don't wanna buy another guitar and have two if I don't feel like I'm good enough to actually need two. How good should I be to have two guitars? (what songs/techniques should I be able to know/play)

Like this kid has 5 guitars and it's obvious that he deserves all of them due to how he plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cpOG6D7WIU
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Last edited by Jostry at Apr 4, 2011,
When they starting gigging or playing important shows. That way, if one breaks or malfunctions, that other one is there as a backup. Once you start getting serious, then there might be different tones you can achieve with different guitars and it's easy to switch guitars if the song you're playing is in a different tuning.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
I have 6 electrics (+2 acoustics) and I'm pretty much terrible. xD
If you can afford another guitar and you want it then get it.

Yes on the one hand you want to feel like you 'deserve' new gear but on the other hand getting new gear will make you more interested in playing so you should get better anyway. Works either way really. (in my experience)
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
you are good enough to deserve a second guitar when, and only when, you are good enough to be able to distinguish the differences in the sounds the two guitars make.
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
Quote by sloppyjoe24
When they starting gigging or playing important shows. That way, if one breaks or malfunctions, that other one is there as a backup. Once you start getting serious, then there might be different tones you can achieve with different guitars and it's easy to switch guitars if the song you're playing is in a different tuning.

+1
When you want one and can afford it.

Who exactly gives a crap about deserving anything? If you can buy something and want it then why the hell shouldn't you?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
dpepends if u need gear or not,if u are happy with your amp,pedals etc i cant see why not.

I have 4 electrics,3 acoustic electrics and 1 bass.
I own a total of six, and I play decently, I'm no alex skolnick though...I just love guitars. :/
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Yngwie has way more than 5 guitars, I guarantee it
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
^ he keeps them in a pile in his trailer.

TS - what amp are you using?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Whenever you can afford it and want it in my opinion. I've got 6 guitars (2 steel strings, 1 nylon string and 3 electrics) and I've been playing a bit short of 2 years, very poorly self taught.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
I've got six aswell and will soon be adding a 7th and an 8th.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
You have to ask yourself why you want a new guitar. If it's to get different tones or you don't really like how your current guitar(s) play, just get them. But if you want a guitar because it looks br00tal or because it looks cool towards the chickz you don't deserve them.
You deserve more guitars as often as you can afford new ones!

I don't consider myself that great, but I got 5 electrics, 1 bass, 1 acoustic and I'm already planning my next one
Collecting/maintaining/fixing up guitars is as much of a hobby to me as playing them is.

Seeing as you're 15, don't worry about it. Play what you got to its potential.
That's probably what most of us did with what we had at your age and couldn't afford to buy anything new.
Quote by sloppyjoe24

Yeah cuz everyone's goal is to gig
There are those who only play as a hobby, and couldn't give two shits about gigging.

OP: You "deserve" a new guitar when ever you either:

A: Feel like buying one

B: Want a different tone

C: Any combination of A and B
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
when you feel one guitar isn't catering to your needs in guitar tone and feel.

i own a few and each is for a specific thing. i do consider myself a good guitarist and feel with specific guitars i can enhance my playing further than if i used one guitar for everything.
Well it seems you are good enough to start getting GAS. Gear Acquisition syndrome,we all get it. I'm not even sure how many guitars I own and don't deserve any of them I feel like I have a bunch of neglected step children. I feel as long as you are playing them and having fun go ahead and get you a 2nd guitar
My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
I have 2 electrics.
I use one for standard and the other for drop D.

I should say get 2 if you have to share, need to change tunings often with a Floyd Rose or need a backup.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I suck at guitar, that's why everytime I got a new guitar, I sold the old one. The reason being that everytime I bought a new one I considered it an upgrade. My first guitar was an Epiphone LP special II, which is just a TERRIBLE guitar.

So once I had the money and I had been playing for allmost a year, I only wanted to change my old POC. Since I wanted to try a small semi-hollow, I got myself a PRS semi-hollow. This was a good guitar, and probably an instrument that is suitable for someone way above my playing skills.
But I never bond with the guitar really, I thougt I would grow to like it, but it simply didn't happen. So I sold it to a friend of mine, and with a bit of extra money I got my current Yamaha SG, which I love .

If I buy a new guitar, it would be to get it tuned to C standard, but I feel like I could use a new amp and effects first. I couldn't really justify getting a new solid body electric for the same tuning, since my SG does everything I want her to (thx to the coil tap which is pretty good).

So my answer would be: Get one when the new one feels like an upgrade (and then sell the old one), or when you want some other tuning/tone you can't achieve with your current guitar.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Last edited by Doogy-Style at Apr 4, 2011,
I suck at guitar too... but I buy my own guitars and as long as my family doesn't go without I don't really give a rats @ss what anyone thinks. I am currently in Iraq and when I get back I am hoping to have a gibson les paul studio tribute 60 waiting for me... am I good enough to deserve it... hell no... do I deserve it... hell yes...

nuff said

AL
Quote by satanicgurrl
you are good enough to deserve a second guitar when, and only when, you are good enough to be able to distinguish the differences in the sounds the two guitars make.

+1

I've gone through a lot of guitars over the years simply because I didn't know what I was buying (and I didn't really know what I wanted in the first place). After 15 years of playing I'm finally at a point where I know exactly what kind of guitars I want, for very specific reasons. It's taken a long time and a lot of playing hours to get to that point.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy more guitars. Hell, if you have the cash then fill your whole house with them. It's your money. Just take the time to learn what you like, what fits your hand, what suits your playing style, etc. Don't just buy one because it looks cool or because that's what "so-and-so" plays. Make sure you're buying instruments for the right reasons.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Why should it matter? Buy one when you feel like it. You could have 20 guitars and be the worst player in the world. You could also be the best player in the world and only have 2 or 3 guitars. No one really deserves guitars. Just get one and play. That's what I do. Even though I only have 2.
I'm receiving my 13th in may it's not a matter of what you deserve, but what you want.
I like having many guitars to use as backups on stage, and I like to be able to have a lot of different sounds, and they all play different. Depending on my mood, I might want to play on one more than on another.
How you decide to spend your hard earned leisure money is your business and nobody else's, simple as that. Just like you wouldn't tell anyone else they shouldn't have so many video games because they suck at all of them
Want it? Buy it, it's your money.

Try to avoid just buying guitars and gear for the hell of it (unless you've got a load of money to spend, in which case go nuts =P) but if you try out something and it feels right then definately buy it if you want to.
I've only been playing two months and already I have two guitars. Started on acoustic and picked up an electric right away. I say, if you want it, go for it!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
When you want one and can afford it.

Who exactly gives a crap about deserving anything? If you can buy something and want it then why the hell shouldn't you?

+1

nobody seems to care about deserving anything else, so I don't see why guitars should be any different.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No such thing as deserving, but I would say you shouldn't feel bad about getting another one whenever you feel you need an additional or different one.
It has nothing to do with if you deserve them or not, the real question is can you afford a new one, if the answer is yes well then go for it, I did as you can see here:
you'll never be good enough to deserve a second guitar. It's not like owning a guitar is a privilege.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I'll be the outcast and say you shouldn't really have multiple guitars until you can play quite a few different songs and know your shit pretty well. If you are still practicing open chord changes and barely know a scale, then why distract yourself with another guitar when you should be focused on learning technique and theory? Answer: you shouldn't.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
Quote by rawkandrowl
I'll be the outcast and say you shouldn't really have multiple guitars until you can play quite a few different songs and know your shit pretty well. If you are still practicing open chord changes and barely know a scale, then why distract yourself with another guitar when you should be focused on learning technique and theory? Answer: you shouldn't.

While I agree that learning how to play is the most important thing, you should honestly consider the following (hypothetical) situation:

- You have a terrible guitar and a decent amp. You absolutely cannot play on the guitar you have because your hands cramp up badly. Because of this last thing, you find yourself unable to practice anything and therefore you suck. You have about $500 from whatever source, but your old guitar was a gift, has sentimental value, or won't get you a dime when you sell it.

Kinda hard to form a single opinion to fit every case.

My input on when to buy a second guitar is "When you can think of more than three reasons to buy it".
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
There's no such thing as "deserving" a new guitar. There's no age limit either. If there is a guitar you want, save the money and buy it. Skill doesn't matter either. I mean, just look at how many shitty drivers there are on the road. Do you think they deserve to buy a new car?

Same goes with amps. A year-and-a-half ago when I was 16, there was this shithead at a guitar shop (customer, not employee) who told me that I was "not old enough to own a tube amp" and that I should be getting one of those "small combos with a lot of presets" instead of the Peavey JSX I was saving up to buy (at the time; I changed my mind at the last minute when I heard the Jet City JCA100h).
Quote by sstony
It has nothing to do with if you deserve them or not, the real question is can you afford a new one, if the answer is yes well then go for it, I did as you can see here:

Someone likes Ibanez.
Why not?

If you can afford it, I mean really. What's the worst that could happen? Even if you're not the best player right now. Someone get's jealous of you? oh no!

Seriously, if you can afford it I don't see why not.

I would be quite content with 2 guitars, but as of right now I don't need another one. (I have yet to see an affordable guitar that I prefer over my Edwards)
Plus I still need a new amp.....
Quote by Ian_the_fox
There's no such thing as "deserving" a new guitar. There's no age limit either. If there is a guitar you want, save the money and buy it. Skill doesn't matter either. I mean, just look at how many shitty drivers there are on the road. Do you think they deserve to buy a new car?

Same goes with amps. A year-and-a-half ago when I was 16, there was this shithead at a guitar shop (customer, not employee) who told me that I was "not old enough to own a tube amp" and that I should be getting one of those "small combos with a lot of presets" instead of the Peavey JSX I was saving up to buy (at the time; I changed my mind at the last minute when I heard the Jet City JCA100h).

That was me.

Ha ha J/K.
www.miraclemaxmusic.com

"Punk is not dead. Punk will only die when corporations can exploit and mass produce it."
Jello Biafra

(so is it dead?)
I have 2.. one is mid range (schecter damien FR) and the other (in the pic lol) is the starter guitar I learned to play on.

I think my damien has enough sound range to satisfy my needs, so I don't really need another guitar. Also, it looks like a bamf.
For some reason, this thread reminded me of those Levy's Guitar strap ads I see in Guitar World mag. The ones where theres a guy and he's treating his guitar better than his girlfriend, and the girlfriend is in the background looking majorly pissed. LOL

Having more than one guitar could be like that. You're cheating on your main one :-)
It doesn't really matter, I've seen 9 year olds who can barely strum a chord, and own awesome gear. I think I know how you feel though, I've felt that way too, that guilty feeling of getting something you don't deserve. Don't worry about it, as long as you are sure that's what you want, and aren't going to quit playing guitar anytime soon, by all means get whatever you want it you can.
Page 1 of 2